Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 PM

55 posts, read 183,054 times

Advertisements

So SAD!! i loved that house and i always wanted to fix it up and live in it when i was a kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
When I was in high school around the corner from that location, there were all kinds of rumors that the house was haunted. That was almost 30 years ago! It looked like a tear down then. It's a shame that nobody cared for that house in decades.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:57 PM

387 posts, read 1,028,031 times

I'm just wondering... How do you know that Suntrust bought the property from the previous owner? I thought it might have been a foreclosure.

I guess what I'm asking is if there a way to distinguish between a bank foreclosure and a bank purchase from the real estate record.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:12 PM

I sorta doubt that anyone is going to build anything there. The shopping center just south of there at Atlantic & Spring Forest is half empty. It doesn't strike me as a choice location for development activity, especially a bank. Could be wrong....

Old 04-01-2009, 10:17 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson919 View Post
I sorta doubt that anyone is going to build anything there. The shopping center just south of there at Atlantic & Spring Forest is half empty. It doesn't strike me as a choice location for development activity, especially a bank. Could be wrong....
Well it's probably about a mile or two from Triangle Town Center. So I don't think people won't go there. I just hate that intersection. A 5 way crossing.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:02 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson919 View Post
I'm just wondering... How do you know that Suntrust bought the property from the previous owner? I thought it might have been a foreclosure.

I guess what I'm asking is if there a way to distinguish between a bank foreclosure and a bank purchase from the real estate record.

Good point, and a little digging reveals that SunTrust foreclosed on 4 contiguous properties, with a total of 4.57 acres on that corner.

And it looks like someone was trying to assemble the corner for commercial use, as the tracts were zoned O & I.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:22 AM

460 posts, read 1,273,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
I wasn't stereotyping anyone, just pointing out how southern folks really have no concept of what's really historic, because there are very few houses that are older than 1900. The same way as if I visited Germany they would probably say the same thing about me But thanks for telling me I should be wearing blue socks with sandals, never thought of that before And thanks for calling me a yankee, didn't know people in this day and age still used that term.
No concept of what's really historic? I was going to ask 'as compared to where'....but then realized that doesn't matter.

and Charlton....you're coming into EVERY thread that deals with something historic just to let everybody know you're happy about it getting torn down/demolished is getting just as old as your pom poming for Cary. And since you hate everything old and tired....I'm sure you'll stop both soon.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmana View Post
I wasn't stereotyping anyone, just pointing out how southern folks really have no concept of what's really historic, because there are very few houses that are older than 1900.
Wow. How is this not stereotyping?

Old 04-02-2009, 07:56 AM

447 posts, read 1,717,833 times
Sad to see it go, I remember driving by that house several times. There was also an old Plantation style house on New Bern that was torn down recently. I am sure these houses had their problems, but my gut instinct was that unless you get someone that wants to do the complete refurb the land is just way more valuable to people than the house.

I would love to get into these houses before they are torn down to look for design elements and hardware that could be salvaged before they are torn down.

I am happy to say 3 older houses were moved into the neighborhood just a block from me. One is on it's foundation and appears to be close to being done with the others sitting and waiting. I believe these moves and refurbs were done by Team Homebuilder which has done a great job (and seem to make a nice profit) in my neighborhood.

CD, since your trolling motor seems to be in good shape you should head to Milburnie Road North King Charles and Chatham Lane in Raleigh and see the old moved house that now looks to be the shiney new house. It might give you a new perspective on progress while maintaining the character that has made this area what it is today.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Good point, and a little digging reveals that SunTrust foreclosed on 4 contiguous properties, with a total of 4.57 acres on that corner.

And it looks like someone was trying to assemble the corner for commercial use, as the tracts were zoned O & I.
Yes, Mike, there was a plan to assemble the corner into one business property.

We live a minute from there and saw the old home being invaded over and over by trespassers. Several attempts to secure it failed.

This property is on an awful corner as traffic patterns go. Would be miserable for retail.

I heard the corner was to be a childcare facility. Rather lousy for parents, though, since that intersection is a traffic bottleneck almost daily.

The house had been rented up to a few months ago. The house next to it on the right is in terrible disrepair too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary