Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:24 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Transplants moved here because housing was cheaper, enabling them to sell their house for a lot of money and pay substantially less. They also moved here because of all the media constantly touting it as one of the top places to live in the country. They cited the number of universities, the employers/job availablility, and the climate.
That is quite a blanket statement on why ALL transplants move here. Glad that one person can speak for ALL transplants.

Quote:
However, to move here and say that our city is ugly and repulsive, and should be wiped out and replaced with new, sterile architecture, is akin to someone coming into your home and insulting you, your decor and your family.
Now that's not exactly what I was saying. Which city are you referring to? Raleigh, Durham, Cary(as it is considered both a city and a town)??? I never stated that I thought all of any town or city was ugly and repulsive. I stated that I find most of the old stuff ugly and repulsive. I felt the same way on the old stuff where I came from. It is not an insult, but an opinion.

Quote:
People don't take offense to someone stating a difference of opinion; people take offense to differences of opinion being stated in an insulting fashion.
Ha Ha Ha!!!. Ya right. Any opinion is welcome, as long as it is the same as everyone else. If you don't fall in line and become one of the Borg, then no one wants to hear what you have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:29 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post

Ha Ha Ha!!!. Ya right. Any opinion is welcome, as long as it is the same as everyone else. If you don't fall in line and become one of the Borg, then no one wants to hear what you have to say.
And the Borg's point is..assimilation..wanna borrow my mirror?

couldn't resist..it was all too easy..

Old 04-05-2009, 06:41 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Any opinion is welcome, as long as it is the same as everyone else. If you don't fall in line and become one of the Borg, then no one wants to hear what you have to say.
Please reread what I have written. I said that everyone is entitled to their opinion. All I (and many others) ask is that people be respectful when stating their opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
Not all of us. Our housing was cheaper in the area we came from and never read a media report. But when the company you've worked for for 20 years moves down here and offers you two options, move or not have a job....you move.

Don't get me wrong, it's been great and I never will willingly move back north.....but I didn't move here for the cheap housing....because really....it's not.
Point taken - and you're absolutely right. I know I can't speak for all transplants. However, I can definitely state that I've never read any reports of people moving here in gleeful anticipation of old buildings being torn down.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:43 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Let me make it simple and bring this conversation to a close.

Transplants moved here because it is our Manifest Destiny. God built this land with the intent for it's inhabitants to become exceptional. For that to happen the native population needed to be subjugated to the will of the dominant and superior culture coming in. As native members of the area are moved to more suitable areas in the hinterland the Triangle will become the beacon of light that will attract even more exceptional people to the empire. It can be heard in the school yards of elite Northern Colleges.
" Go South Young Person go South". Once we no longer need the native work force we will make the necessary adjustments to their residency locations. In the intervening time natives just have a drink and chill! You will get use to it.

Please don't anyone think the above is written with anything but humor in mind. At least by me.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:47 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Let me make it simple and bring this conversation to a close.

Transplants moved here because it is our Manifest Destiny. God built this land with the intent for it's inhabitants to become exceptional. For that to happen the native population needed to be subjugated to the will of the dominant and superior culture coming in. As native members of the area are moved to more suitable areas in the hinterland the Triangle will become the beacon of light that will attract even more exceptional people to the empire. It can be heard in the school yards of elite Northern Colleges.
" Go South Young Person go South". Once we no longer need the native work force we will make the necessary adjustments to their residency locations. In the intervening time natives just have a drink and chill! You will get use to it.

Please don't anyone think the above is written with anything but humor in mind. At least by me.
LOL. Thank you for the humor. A sense of humor is one of the most important things in life.

Peace...out.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:53 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
The problem is that most Northerns do not consider themselves to be 'Yankees' and it's insulting to be called something you are not.
Well, the Brits call ALL Americans "Yankees"...you can imagine how Southern people like this ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Let the record show that the opinions as expressed by the above poster represent the feelings and thoughts of the poster only. They are not intended to portray or reflect the thoughts of transplants in general.
Most of us are WELL aware of this!

Quote:
Ok, question... If a northerner is called a Yankee, what is a person from the west called? Are we Yanks too?
Generally, I have never heard someone from the West Cost called a "Yankee"--though it might depend on your accent!

Quote:
Basically, we love all the areas in the Triangle that have changed. Most everything we see that is unchanged turns us off in a big way. We much prefer the planned areas and really really hope that the changeover can continue
You've made it very, very clear here that what you prefer are the most generic, indistinguishable-from-one-another, neighborhoods that have absolutely NO local traits, NO local histroy, and could literally be located in ANY city or state in the nation. The same strip centers with the same chain stores and same Wal-Marts. You've said again and again that this is what you like about Cary and you can't stand anything with any history (or local character) to it. You could just as easily live in the (exploding) Atlanta suburbs or the Northern Virginia suburbs of DC, which like the areas you describe, have nothing of the history or culture or the area; they are simply "21st Century overdeveloped America" and one day will seem as tired and dated as what you so decry.

I challene your assertion that MOST of the people moving here are doing so because they like the cookie-cutter neighborhoods surrounded by Olive Gardens, Wal*Marts and other national chains that look exactly alike anywhere. Some probably do, but by far, that is not the "selling point" of the RDU area. But, if you get your way, we will very soon be more and more like suburban Atlanta or Northern Virginia or the San Fernando Valley. Calling those of us who don't want this beautiful area to turn into another Atlanta "afraid of change" is not only patronizing, it is outright wrong.

Last edited by Francois; 04-05-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 04-05-2009, 09:12 PM

29 posts, read 68,535 times
Funny I should see this post today...my mom is not so much a fan of my husband and I moving to Raleigh. Every time I mention it she says "So, you guys are still thinking about that?" And today she tried to convince us to stay here. She keeps saying: "just stay here another year." I get a little bit of that "isn't it hicksville?" from her too.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:06 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,402 times
OK, I moved here from Maryland because my daughter and grandchildren were here. My friends were supportive. My son, who still lives in DC area, was sad that I moved away. It is impossible to please everyone, but I am very happy to be near the little ones and spend time with them. As to North Carolina, I think people in the DC area are very familiar with what it is like and most people think it would be a good place to live. I like it here, but of course every place is what you make it. It takes effort to adjust to living someplace new. Another thing, I live in a fairly new subdivision and most of the neighbors are from someplace else. Everyone needed friends, most are really friendly.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:14 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
OK, I moved here from Maryland because my daughter and grandchildren were here. My friends were supportive. My son, who still lives in DC area, was sad that I moved away. It is impossible to please everyone, but I am very happy to be near the little ones and spend time with them. As to North Carolina, I think people in the DC area are very familiar with what it is like and most people think it would be a good place to live. I like it here, but of course every place is what you make it. It takes effort to adjust to living someplace new. Another thing, I live in a fairly new subdivision and most of the neighbors are from someplace else. Everyone needed friends, most are really friendly.
Hmmmm your reasons for moving sound awfully familiar. I think I have read them from many a poster, especially ones who are retired. Yes I think thats why I have heard it before as it has been said many a time by many a person.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:52 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,349 times
Default They Loved It!

I had been talking about moving for years, so it was no surprise when I actually moved. My dad was concerned that I was driving cross-country with my daughter by myself, but I called him at every hotel to check in and that seemed to put him at ease. I have one negative friend, but she loves it in Alaska, therefore can't understand why anyone would want to leave. She also had stereotypical ideas about the south from years ago. I am so glad I made the move and have no plans of ever leaving. I like the pace here better than anywhere I've ever been; it's slower, which makes it easier to "slow down and smell the flowers". I also like how friendly the people are. My negative friend asked me if I'd run into any racist people here and I was proud to tell her, "If I did they hid it extremely well, because everyone has been very friendly". I haven't heard from her since, so maybe she was a little disappointed her prediction of gloom and doom didn't come true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary