Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2006, 07:13 AM

23 posts, read 76,309 times

Advertisements

There was a post awhile back about zip codes/areas in the Raleigh and surrounding areas to stay away from...but I can't seem to find it. We are visiting over 4th of July week and are looking for a house in a family oriented neighborhood with good schools and especially low crime. Any suggestions on the areas that are NOT the best for a young family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2006, 07:43 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
Thats not really an easy question to answer. If you can only spend a certain amount, that limits the areas you can move to. If you want more land than the average (l/4 acre), that limits your areas. It really depends on how much you plan on spending as to the area that you are going to end up in. I'll see if I can explain:

1. Most expensive area...dollar per square foot is INSIDE THE BELTLINE. Very small lots.

2. Next "best areas" are NORTH Raleigh and Cary. Why? Better schools, higher education levels for adults. Small lots (l/5 to l/3 acre) but next highest in dollar per square foot.

3. Those that can't afford 1. and 2., move out a bit. NORTH Raleigh moves out to Wake Forest and Cary moves out to Apex. Still very nice areas with good schools.

4. Those next areas that people move to because less dollar per square foot are Holly Springs and Fuquay. Lots aren't much larger but you get more house per square foot. STILL Wake County Schools but now you have to check those scores.

5. If you want l/2 to more acreage, you head towards Clayton, Johnston County. Different school district but you get more house and more land. Again, check school scores.

Now the most important part of this...GET A REALTOR! mod cut

Sit down with a Realtor, let her help you understand why prices are different in different areas. Let her pull some listings for you to look at. Drive around by yourself. Check out the areas. Once you decide which part you want to live in, get her to make the appointments and show you the houses. Having a buyer's agent is free to you. Make sure she is experienced.

The End...and I know you guys are happy about that!!!

Vicki

Last edited by Yac; 06-29-2006 at 10:46 AM..

Old 06-29-2006, 07:52 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
27603...... I lived there for almost 4 years; trust me, there are much nicer areas to live.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:53 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR
Thats not really an easy question to answer. If you can only spend a certain amount, that limits the areas you can move to. If you want more land than the average (l/4 acre), that limits your areas. It really depends on how much you plan on spending as to the area that you are going to end up in. I'll see if I can explain:

1. Most expensive area...dollar per square foot is INSIDE THE BELTLINE. Very small lots.
Vicki, can you please explain where exactly where the "Beltline" is (starts and ends in block names, if possible), and if you have any zipcodes for it. Thanks!

Old 06-29-2006, 04:33 PM

25 posts, read 87,027 times
One "inside the beltline" zip is 27608. It is VERY expensive in that area!

Old 06-29-2006, 04:47 PM

25 posts, read 87,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick
Vicki, can you please explain where exactly where the "Beltline" is (starts and ends in block names, if possible), and if you have any zipcodes for it. Thanks!

The beltline is a road that runs around Raleigh, so there are the "inner beltline" and the "outer beltline" areas. In the image below, it is the green road (440) and it connects to I-40. http://www.trianglecenter.com/images/RaleighAreaMap2.gif (broken link)

The part of Raleigh that is typically referred to as "inside the beltline" is an older part of town (in the Wade and Glenwood Avenues area) that has become extremely high dollar, while the areas around New Bern Ave and Poole Rd, even though they are technically inside the beltline too, have not.

Hope this helps explain it some!

Last edited by Carolinaborn&raised; 06-29-2006 at 05:35 PM..

Old 06-29-2006, 07:06 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
You guys explained it better than I could have! Hint: Stay away from Poole Road. It started going UP in value but then stopped AGAIN. Homes are rather inexpensive there so I guess if you can't afford anything else, it still beats renting? Vicki

Old 06-30-2006, 09:09 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,783 times
Don't go by zip codes!!! In one zip code you can have mansions, middle-income houses, and ghetto all in one. Zip codes are not an accurate way to pick out parts of the city at all!

Like above, iminformed mentioned 27603 as bad. Well, a few parts of it, yes. But 27603 also includes the gorgeous historic neighborhood of Boylan Heights, some trendy downtown areas like most of the booming Glennwood South, the Farmer's Market, and then stretches all the way to some beautiful country areas next to Lake Wheeler.

So forget zip codes. Go by neighborhood names if you want accurate.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:44 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinaborn&raised
The beltline is a road that runs around Raleigh, so there are the "inner beltline" and the "outer beltline" areas. In the image below, it is the green road (440) and it connects to I-40. http://www.trianglecenter.com/images/RaleighAreaMap2.gif (broken link)

The part of Raleigh that is typically referred to as "inside the beltline" is an older part of town (in the Wade and Glenwood Avenues area) that has become extremely high dollar, while the areas around New Bern Ave and Poole Rd, even though they are technically inside the beltline too, have not.

Hope this helps explain it some!
Thank you Carolinaborn&raised, for the detailed map and info! Now I finally understand what everyone's been refering too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary