Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:30 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times

Advertisements

Although I've been here 21 years, never had a reason to visit Rolesville before Saturday. My wife's club met at a member's home there.

What a great trip. Beautiful rural scenery ending with a lovely small town setting in downtown Rolesville.

The only thing ruining it was a series of nauseating tributes to materialism, McMansions, springing up along with townhomes in totally out of place locations.

The small two lane roads surely will be overloaded along with schools when more of these status seekers come here to show off what bigshots they can be with their giant pieces of wasteful trash and supporting strip malls with national chains up the bazoo.

North Carolinians, arise. Your legacy is at stake. Do everything you can to keep these status seekers from destroying your town and driving up prices so your children can no longer stay in their home town when they want to make their own family.

Nothing personal. We just don't need these people and the damage they do to this lovely state.

OK, flame me as you wish but do try to stop the expansion of yuppie homes to the traditional rural parts of this beautiful state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 07:48 PM

620 posts, read 2,119,097 times
Instead of taking your anger out on the people who move into these places, why don't you direct it towards the town who approved the plans, or the developer for building them, or the local who sold their farm to the developer so they could cash in on their land? If these places are going to be built, people will move into them. Let's face it - the state, run by native North Carolinians, are the ones luring businesses and people to this state. They are progressive, pro-business, and pro-growth.

I'm not sure what you want to hear or what you want anybody to do about it. The facts speak for themselves - this is a high growth state and any rural areas/small towns near a high growth area such as Raleigh or Charlotte are most likely going to be developed at some point. Despite the growth (which is only occuring in certain locations) there are tons of rural areas and small towns in this state. If it bothers you so much that you have to post an ignorant rant on here, maybe you should consider moving to one of those small, no growth towns because you and I both know the growth in Raleigh and Charlotte isn't going to stop anytime soon.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:15 PM

387 posts, read 1,028,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
Instead of taking your anger out on the people who move into these places, why don't you direct it towards the town who approved the plans, or the developer for building them, or the local who sold their farm to the developer so they could cash in on their land? If these places are going to be built, people will move into them. Let's face it - the state, run by native North Carolinians, are the ones luring businesses and people to this state. They are progressive, pro-business, and pro-growth.

I'm not sure what you want to hear or what you want anybody to do about it. The facts speak for themselves - this is a high growth state and any rural areas/small towns near a high growth area such as Raleigh or Charlotte are most likely going to be developed at some point. Despite the growth (which is only occuring in certain locations) there are tons of rural areas and small towns in this state. If it bothers you so much that you have to post an ignorant rant on here, maybe you should consider moving to one of those small, no growth towns because you and I both know the growth in Raleigh and Charlotte isn't going to stop anytime soon.
Extremely well said. I especially agree with the suggestion of expressing concerns to the town who approves the plans. The buck stops there. Even in North Carolina, local governments can and will limit growth if citizens in the community insist upon it.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:10 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
You stated that you had not visited Rolesville prior to this past weekend.
I live near Rolesville, and have many friends who live there. Many of the kids from Rolesville go to school in Wake Forest.

Rolesville has been aggressively courting development for years. The people who live there have voted for the town to move in this direction. They are seeking this change in teh character of their town.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
You stated that you had not visited Rolesville prior to this past weekend.
I live near Rolesville, and have many friends who live there. Many of the kids from Rolesville go to school in Wake Forest.

Rolesville has been aggressively courting development for years. The people who live there have voted for the town to move in this direction. They are seeking this change in teh character of their town.
Hope they are happy after their area is turned into a Southern version of New Jersey.

Growth can be very destructive but it looks good before it gets going and destroys the quality of life.

Corrupt politicians and carpetbaggers at work.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:21 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Growth can be very destructive but it looks good before it gets going and destroys the quality of life.
Which person's quality of life are you talking about? Yours? Or the quality of life of those who choose to live in Rolesville amongst its growth and change?

Old 04-06-2009, 09:28 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,093 times
Quote:
Nothing personal. We just don't need these people and the damage they do to this lovely state.
I suppose you also don't need the money these people bring with them to stimulate the economy.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:28 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Hope they are happy after their area is turned into a Southern version of New Jersey.

Corrupt politicians and carpetbaggers at work.
This sounds so very strange coming from somebody who populates Capital Boulevard. The Growth that is now Capital Blvd is one of the largest scars on the landscape of North Raleigh IMHO. I'm sure it was once a rolling landscape with a mixture of forests, farms, and pasture. Part of that beautiful landscape was destroyed to build your current residence.

I can't help but get the "do as I say, not as I do" vibe from your post.

FWIW, I would be much more interested in working with the local leaders in Rolesville to develop a 30 year comprehensive land use plan then make sweeping statements about stopping all growth.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:33 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
Are you also upset that the apartment complex you live in was built, and that there are gorcery stores close by for you to shop in? Because at one point in time, all those areas were empty countryside as well. You could always escape to the middle of the woods somewhere, and revert back to hunting and gathering

Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Coming from Long Island, I am no fan of the strip mall, because that sort of development blighted my home town.
We chose Wake Forest specifically because of the town's committment to developing the downtown area.
My point is not about whether the changes in Rolesville are good or bad.

My point is that their government, elected by the citizens of Rolesville, are choosing this direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary