Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

North Carolina: great schools, education

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:39 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,182,567 times

Advertisements

With our children lagging behind most of the industrialized world in education, full day K and extended school hours would likely do children some good. As would more parental involvement in children's schooling. Preschool can be expensive for some families, but so are daily trips to Starbucks and the big SUV most people insist on driving. Just depends where the parents' priorities are. I have noticed a lot of parents in the area send their children to half-day preschool for 1 if not 2 years before kindergarten so I would venture to guess most kids are ready for full day K when that time comes.

We have decided if our children's bookbags get too heavy, we will get an additional set of books to keep at home. Feasible for everyone? No. But we would do that for our kids. Most of the parents I know with school age kids are happy with the school system overall.

Mobile classrooms or trailers provide modern, new, clean rooms for children to learn. They have all the ammenities a regular room would have (except maybe science labs) and the separation from the main hallways provide an insulating buffer to help prevent outside distractions. I see them as a viable alternative to cramming a classroom with additional children and overburdening a teacher. If it helps keep student-teacher ratios in check, I'm all for them. Are they beautiful? Not exactly, but what goes on inside is so much more important than what the structure is composed of.

IMO you hear many more complaints about situations i.e. redistricting because it is just so much more comforting to complain outloud than it is to say "yea, I'm happy about x,y,z."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 06:05 AM

161 posts, read 682,574 times
We moved from an excellent school district on LI NY last year and my three children, elementary, middle and HS have adjusted well. The one thing that I noticed the most was the smaller homework loads and assignments. At first I was nervous that there would not be enough reenforcement but it acually left my kids less stressed with tedious unneccesary written work and left them more time to read , enjoy sports and music lessons. My HS student certainly has enough homework and the same students that had less homework in the earlier years have all been very prepared for very difficult AP courses and test well on the SAT s. Check all the scores out and guage them to your local district and nationally. You will probably be as surprised as I was.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:05 PM

76 posts, read 271,803 times
Smile Any teachers in wake county????

I would love to hear the opinons of the teachers in Wake County - considering relocating and getting a elementary teaching job in the county.

I would love to know your opinons -as teachers- which schools have what they need - have good chemistry amongs staff and so on!

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2007, 12:18 PM

122 posts, read 457,707 times
As a former teacher (before having my own kids) and my oldest headed into K next fall, I wonder about the quality of the teachers needed to fill all the openings that must occur every year. I mean NO disrespect at all, I am curious as to how classroom positions are filled each year. We're considering making the move down south, and want to make sure this will be a great choice for us, particularly considering we're just beginning this school journey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary