Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:20 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times

Advertisements

Yes but then you have to go back to the DMV to get the restriction removed with your own car and insurance, otherwise you can only drive fleet vehicles. Keep reading that link you posted. Like I said, dumb. I've held DL's in 4 states in 10 years of driving and NC's system is BY FAR the worst setup I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 05:29 PM

460 posts, read 1,274,385 times
You have to have insurance to get a license. It doesn't have to be in your name. (or else there'd be a lot of PO'd first time teen drivers)
Or am I wrong? That's the way it was when I got my license a 'few' years ago....

Old 04-08-2009, 09:40 AM

355 posts, read 958,110 times
Just a few other wrinkles that you need to be aware of - you will need to have a social security card physcially with you to get your licesnse. The website makes it appear that you can bring other forms of identification - it's wrong. After showing a print out to the person at the DMV she just shrugged and said that it's wrong. Make sure you have it with you.

Also, in most locations (if not all) the place where you get your drivers license is a different place form where you register your car and get your plates. Not sure how it is in SC, but NC is the first state I've lived (out of five) that you could not get your license, registration, and tags all in one trip.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:34 PM

206 posts, read 596,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
I'll be moving to Raleigh in May and driving on my SC plates for probably the first few weeks.
Don't do this for anymore than 30 days.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:36 PM

206 posts, read 596,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
You have to have insurance to get a license. It doesn't have to be in your name. (or else there'd be a lot of PO'd first time teen drivers)
Or am I wrong? That's the way it was when I got my license a 'few' years ago....
Yes, you need liability insurance. And you need proof of address. Utility bill or something like that. A Netflix envelope worked for me.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:01 PM

123 posts, read 534,255 times
I just went last Friday, and did not need proof of insurance but I did need my valid, unexpired out of state license, utility bill, social sec card, and I brought my birth cert just in case. And yes NC is the worst. I lived here 9 years ago and instead of renewing I had to retest....

Old 04-08-2009, 06:25 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,326 times
Ok I think I'm more confused than I was when I posted this. =)

If I need insurance in my name to get my NCDL (to avoid extra hassle) at what point do I have my dad transfer the title to my name? Don't I need it in my name before I get my own insurance on it?

Or is Average_Joe right and I can go get my NCDL with my current (dad's) insurance and title in my dad's name and then switch all that stuff over?

Old 04-08-2009, 06:41 PM

567 posts, read 2,141,577 times
Make sure you go to the DMV and get one of their driver's booklets to look over. It's like driver's ed all over again, but those specific details are on the written test. Things like exactly how many points you get for different offenses. Heck, I didn't know that stuff!

Just to add to your to-do list.....

Old 04-09-2009, 07:33 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
I was under the impression that when moving from another state to NC, I would have to take the written test. However, I was reading this guide put out by the DMV and it says "New residents that hold
a valid license from their previous state of residence
are usually exempt from the driving skills test when
applying for a Class C license; however, this is
discretionary."

So does anyone know for sure if I have to take the test? Thanks!
It is discretionary, neither the wife or I had to. Make sure when you go you are composed and looking normal. Age might make a difference. Seniors may be more likely to have to take. Not sure if they can check driving record.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:37 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
The following link use to be free and now costs $9.95 and is excellent. It appears to be the same one that is now free. You may be able to find a link to an archived free one from someone on here who saved it.
Driver License Exam BrainDumps: Study Guide for the NC DMV exam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary