Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 07:39 AM

2 posts, read 4,311 times

Advertisements

Hi ...

I am a mother to three children ages 11....10... and 2. I am a single parent and looking for a good place to live and raise my kids. I have been considering Raleigh more than Cary and Chapel Hill. But I have heard that Cary, Chapel Hill and Durham are the best places? Is this true?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Diamond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 07:45 AM

850 posts, read 4,730,124 times
Are you renting or buying? You've overlooked some of the outlying areas like Holly Springs and Apex that are extremely family friendly. If you're buying, I'd pick Holly Springs. Affordable, lots of activities for kids. Apex has some rental opportunities, but is a bit more expensive.

Since you have school age kids, I think the school districts should be among your biggest concern. Many areas in Raleigh and Cary have re-districting "problems."

Old 04-06-2009, 08:04 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,964,187 times
been there..done that...

Pick a closeknit neighborhood. It will be like an extended family to you and the kids if you settle in a great cul de sac with kids everywhere.
In my neighborhood we all helped each other all the time. It was a lifesaver. You can find this in townhomes as well.

North Raleigh has many places like this but the other places mentioned probably do also.

I would decide on work and schools and try to be as close as possible.
Look for parks, Ymca's ect.

If you want to share the price range you are in we can be more specific
about neighborhoods.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 4,198 times
Yeah, we did our research and this is why we chose private school. We didn't want to get into that mess. Stability is really important to us. You may want to look on some of the previous posts and on the News & Observer Wake Ed blog if you're not aware of this problem here in Wake. Lots of folks have moved here and felt extreme buyers' remorse after finding out this one flaw. Other than that, if you're ok with it, or can solve it another way, the area is FABULOUS for kids!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,488,228 times
Right, but there is no redistricting problem in Chapel Hill. It's a great area for kids, lots of activities for them, great (stable) schools, etc. CH is expensive though so depends on your price point.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:13 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,488,228 times
btw, if you prefer Raleigh, then move there. There is no "one best" place to raise kids in the area. It's all about what you prefer. Some prefer Cary, some Raleigh, some CH, some Durham, some Holly Springs. You get the picture. Pick what you like (just do look into the school situation in each area so you know if you like that!)

Old 09-28-2009, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,895 times
Hello,I am a single mother of a 10 year old daughter looking to relocate to the Raleigh/Durham area in about 6months. I have been researching the area and have heard good things about it. I would probaly live in a apartment for about a year and then move into one of the newer subdivisions. I have a masters degree in business and have been in hospitality for the last ten years. I have been a Assistant Manager of a Hotel for five years. I was looking to venture into something different. So I am interested to know about the Job market, schools, and housing. I am looking for a family oriented place to live please help If you can

Old 09-28-2009, 05:25 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,056,214 times
Jobs are hard to find.

You'd have better luck if you are in the healthcare field.

Schools are fine.

You can find out about the prices of homes on the major real estate websites.

Once you know where you would be living because of your job, then you can research city-data and find out about recommended apartment complexes (or post a question about a specific area). You can look at websites listing apartment complexes, too.

The often-given advice is "Don't move here without a job."

Other than that, it's tough to give you all the advice you would need without more specifics.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary