Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:58 PM

646 posts, read 2,049,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
moved here from NH so if you'd like to send me a DM, feel free. You may want to consider the Wake Forest area, or the North/Northwest area of Raleigh. Cary, Apex, Clayton, Holly Springs. They all have nice areas that you'll like. The diversity here will be far different from NH. The best thing to do is to drive around to different potential locations and see if you like them.
We have a strong African-American community in Wake Forest and people of all races live in most neighborhoods...she's not going to want to move here at all.

Heck, we even talk to each other at stores and at community events...not what the OP wants. She can stay away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 PM

105 posts, read 364,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfisch View Post
Hi there, I'll be moving to NC in a few months and need some feedback regarding Wake County..I'd like to move to a nice area for my 13yr old...my husband has a lung disease so we are looking for a nice climate as well. Can anyone tell me info on year round weather, schools, food prices (like a gallon of milk costs?), gas prices, MOST ESPECIALLY WHICH TOWNS YOU RECOMMEND AND WHY? Thanks!
coming from a african amercian woman, no offense, i saw where u were coming from and u tried ur best to word it correctly. Cary is a nice place to live. not sure about apartments but some homes are expensive. you may have to move on the outskirts of raleigh to find th woodsy feeling environment. I wish u the best.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:32 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Quote:
LISTEN..what I meant by the statement was that I had a friend that lived in Virgina and she traveled to NC often..she told me that the African Americans living there in some communities don't take nicely to white people moving there. That is all I meant. Everyone please just calm down. I am a nice person who does not mean any harm or to offend anyone.
Holy cow! Where to start with such a statement?? First of all, how could you not realize that categorically dismissing an entire race of people as neighbors would be offensive? Do you realize which millennium we're in? Second, why would you blindly take the word of some "friend" who merely traveled to NC and made such a ridiculous statement?? Third, why are you friends with an ignorant racist??

Please don't move here.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:59 AM

3 posts, read 9,226 times
Cfisch~
I moved to Raleigh from NH just a little over a year ago and yes it is different. The biggest difference was that I did not have to shovel and/or have plowed the 79 inches of snow that did my last year in NH. Also, it will depend on which part of NH you are moving from as to what differences you will find, for instance, I lived in the north shore part of MA the majority of my life and then moved to Portsmouth, however than bought a small house in North Conway ~ Raleigh is Totally different from N Conway area, people are friendly here (not to bash northern NH) but people seemed to stay to themselves in northern NH (in my opinion only). I have made more friends here in one year than in 4 years up northern NH. Also down here, the city is pretty for the most part, it is not like driving downtown Manchester (not that there is anything wrong with Manchester). You will be amazed that tulips bloom in March and trees have flowers on them now unlike in NH when that starts in June.

You will be shocked that Everything is taxed, including food and you will not find the $3.99 per pound Maine lobsters. Stay far away from the Bob Evan's biscuits and gravy, which you have probably never had because it can become addicting and pack on a quick 10 pounds! The lakes down here, we would somewhat consider more like 'puddles' in size ~because they are much smaller than winnipesaukee and sebago and have clay bottoms (or something like that), I don't particularly like that. My first winter here, I thought I died and went to Heaven, my first summer, I thought I died and went to Hell ~ Horrible Heat.

To answer your other questions: Milk approx. $3.00 per gallon, gas approx $1.98 per gallon, weather for the most part Sunny, schools: my kids are grown so that doesn't concern me but I think they do something different down here than up north - maybe someone else could answer that one. There are a million places to shop and totally convenient, unlike the driving 1/2 a day to find something in northern NH.

As far as where to live, you really need to come down and drive around, it is a city and there are good and bad places. I happen to live in an apartment in N Raleigh and I have neighbors all different backgrounds and 99% are friendly and are Awesome people. The price of apartments is less expensive here.

The best advice I can give you is to keep an open mind, accept people for who they are, do not come down and compare 'home state' to this state (people Do Not like that) and you will be fine. Hope that helps and good luck with your move!

Last edited by glass1/2full; 04-07-2009 at 08:25 AM..

Old 04-07-2009, 10:22 AM

22 posts, read 44,523 times
Quote:
Thanks for that response. I work from home and I'm an independent contractor so my job is not the issue at all. I would like a predominately white town that's middle class. I am not racist at all, but hear that some of the african american communities there are not very nice?? I'm assuming that might not be true. We are looking for a woodsy area as we enjoy hiking, biking, and especially 4-wheeling.
I had lived in NH for a number of years and I can understand where you coming from. The right way to put it is to simply state you want to live in a nice community/subdivision in a nice area w/o calling out a particular race. Faux pas, let's move on.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:42 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Lord people are too overly sensitive which is why I don't think race relations will ever get better in this country because people are not able to express what they really feel or even have questions about without being labelled a bigot, racist, etc. This was not some person who was spewing hatred and vitirol.

Personally, I would feel uncomfortable living in an a predominantly black, latino, asian, indian, or white neighborhood. I like a little diversity. I was actually really shocked the times I went to work in NH and hardly ever even saw a black person. It was rather jarring to me to be frank. Heck even when I went to high school in France, we had more black students (most of them were from former French colonies in Africa) than what I saw in NH!

However, I agree with what another poster said. People tend to gravitate towards those who are most like them (whether it is race, religion, values, socioeconomic, etc). So I didn't think she sounded racist-- I think she was just being upfront and saying, hey I think I would feel somewhat uncomfortable living in a predominantly black neighborhood. I don't think that is racist, I actually think it is being more honest than most people ever are!

I can imagine how it is for a black family moving into a predominantly white neighborhood-- it can't be all that "comfortable" all the time. Just like when I grew up in a predominantly black neighborhood and school-- at times it WAS uncomfortable and there were times that I definitely keenly felt the difference even amongst my childhood friends.

To the OP, I live in Apex near the downtown area. We have a good mix of all kinds of families here (white, black, asian, bi-racial families, gay, straight, no children, young children, older retired folks, young professionals, NC natives, NE transplants, etc). I really love Apex because Apex to me seems like the idealized little American small city. The downtown is lovely with a few restaurants and shops. People are super friendly from my experience and shopping is close by.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:26 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Our North Raleigh community near Triangle Town Center is nicely diverse.

About equally divided between AA, Hispanic, and Caucasian residents.

If the OP hates diversity, Raleigh's not for them and we really would prefer them to not come here.

For what it's worth, I am Caucasian.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
LISTEN..what I meant by the statement was that I had a friend that lived in Virgina and she traveled to NC often..she told me that the African Americans living there in some communities don't take nicely to white people moving there. That is all I meant. Everyone please just calm down. I am a nice person who does not mean any harm or to offend anyone.
My son went to East Millbrook Middle School. He (caucasian) and his pal (from India) were constantly harassed by some very bigoted AA students living in the area.

These folks were just losers and didn't represent the Raleigh AA community.

We stayed in the same general area of town but did move out of the crime-ridden Mini-City neighborhood.

Bigotry cuts both ways.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:47 PM

11 posts, read 58,142 times
Cfisch, the 2005 census shows New Hampshire to have a whopping 1.29% population of African Americans, right behind the 2.04% Asians apparently living there.

You will find no comparable racial make-up anywhere in the South.

Since you stressed racial make-up before any other aspect of a community, I think you will not be particularly happy in any part of the South.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-19-2009 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 04-19-2009, 08:17 PM

387 posts, read 1,028,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKennaO View Post
Cfisch, the 2005 census shows New Hampshire to have a whopping 1.29% population of African Americans, right behind the 2.04% Asians apparently living there.

You will find no comparable racial make-up anywhere in the South.

Since you stressed racial make-up before any other aspect of a community, I think you will not be particularly happy in any part of the South.
Cfish hasn't contributed to this thread since the day she submitted the opening post. True she may have been quite insensitive, but the reaction she received was downright oppressive. So if Cfish decided not to participate anymore, that would strike me as a real reasonable response.

This kind of reminds me of the Tom Tancredo incident at UNC last week, which was a little creepy (and believe me, I am no fan of Tom Tancredo).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary