Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:20 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,423 times

Advertisements

Hi
Well, I'm moving to the Triangle soon, and have an unusual question:
About a year ago, I stumbled upon my complete paternal English heritage straight back to the 1400's. This bowled me over and my husband got me a little St. George's Cross flag decal for the back window of my car. Not because I think my heritage is better than anyone else's, but just because I had no idea I was English, let alone had this pedigree back to the reign of Henry VII. So it felt nice to put the little flag on my back window corner...

It didn't occur to me until lately, as we're getting ready to come down to the Triangle, that since it's such a diverse area, maybe some would find this sticker offensive? I hope not, but I thought I would ask some of you locals if this would raise eyebrows. I haven't had any negative reactions to it up here in CT. Do many people have little country stickers on their cars there?
Would people think it was a political take-it-personal sort of thing?

(Being a Yankee transplant will probably be negative enough? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 01:27 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
I can't imagine why anyone would find it offensive.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:28 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
Hi
Well, I'm moving to the Triangle soon, and have an unusual question:
About a year ago, I stumbled upon my complete paternal English heritage straight back to the 1400's. This bowled me over and my husband got me a little St. George's Cross flag decal for the back window of my car. Not because I think my heritage is better than anyone else's, but just because I had no idea I was English, let alone had this pedigree back to the reign of Henry VII. So it felt nice to put the little flag on my back window corner...

It didn't occur to me until lately, as we're getting ready to come down to the Triangle, that since it's such a diverse area, maybe some would find this sticker offensive? I hope not, but I thought I would ask some of you locals if this would raise eyebrows. I haven't had any negative reactions to it up here in CT. Do many people have little country stickers on their cars there?
Would people think it was a political take-it-personal sort of thing?

(Being a Yankee transplant will probably be negative enough? )
I don't think it will be an issue, if anyone even notices! I have seen Union Jacks on cars, Italian flags, Irish flags, Brazilian flags, etc. I don't think anyone really cares all that much. I know it doesn't bother me any!

Old 04-07-2009, 01:31 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Nobody would mind at all--I see Union Jacks and Australian flag (front) license plates a lot.

It worries me more what sort of perception you had of people here that we are so different from folks where you live that we WOULD somehow object?

Old 04-07-2009, 01:38 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
We have neighbors who fly a flag in their yard from their native country in Europe. I think it's cool.

I found out not long ago that my relatives settled in Canada in 1832 from England and stayed until the early 1900's. (Most of them stayed in Canada.) Previously, I didn't have a clue my relatives were from Canada. Now, I have a special place in my heart for my vintage teapot set that has Canadian Mounties on it and other Canadian emblems. (And I always LOVED going to Canada when I lived in Rochester -- not even knowing the family connection.)

You are so lucky to learn your family history back to the 1400's! We go back only to about 1780 or so in England.

Have fun with it!

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 04-07-2009 at 01:50 PM..

Old 04-07-2009, 02:01 PM

206 posts, read 596,872 times
I don't think anyone will even care. You'll be fine.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:03 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times
I don't understand why you would think anyone would be offended over that either? I see that kind of stuff all the time. Not something to worry about...

Old 04-07-2009, 02:10 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
I don't think anyone would find it offensive. I have a Swedish sticker on my car, for my heritage on my mother's side. She even belongs to a Swedish lodge here in Raleigh.

Even though I grew up in Houston and moved here 7 years ago (to marry a local), I can trace my father's family back to the 1600s in Bath, NC.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:06 PM

675 posts, read 1,833,326 times
I for one know perfectly well why many people would find it offensive. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. England may not have a First Amendment, but we do.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:16 PM

502 posts, read 1,392,423 times
I guess I was thinking that some Scottish or Welsh may think, "Well what's that, then? Why not a Union Jack"? Don't know... you never know... so I asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary