Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 06:17 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,177,371 times

Advertisements

I asked a question about siding in a previous post.

I've since uncovered some answers.

Masonite/Abitibi siding has a 20 year warranty. If you have siding that has some damage and your home is under 20 years old, you can still file a claim.

By going to the website for this class action suit, you then fill out the paperwork and mail it in. A couple of months later, they will send someone out to check your siding.

They then have a formula that determines how much money you are due back.

I have received a check.

To those of you that need any further information, I'll be happy to share.

To those of you that had no idea that your damaged siding can be repaired, and that you may be eligible to receive compensation for it, well, this is just me sharing the good news!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 06:54 AM

653 posts, read 2,982,048 times
Great info, Vicki, thanks for sharing the update!

Old 05-31-2007, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 9,184 times
Vicki-
Where do I need to go to get more info about filing a claim in this suit? Is there a website? I have to have my entire re-sided b/c of rotten masonite. Getting some money back from the suit would be a big help

Melissa

Old 05-31-2007, 11:37 AM

89 posts, read 960,617 times
I would also be interested in that information. A company dropped a flyer in my mailbox about the suit before I moved down, but they have not responded to the message that I left for them. My home is from 1988, so I don't have much time to hop on board.
Thanks!
Jessica

Old 05-31-2007, 12:36 PM

The companies that advertise that they will "help you" just fill out the same claim forms that you do and then take a percentage of whatever you get as a settlement. I'd recommend you just do it yourself. It didn't take long to get the forms and fill them out. Google "masonite siding" and that should take you directly to the website for class action suit against masonite. I got the forms from that website and went from there.

Hope this helps!

Vicki

Old 05-31-2007, 01:19 PM

3,297 posts, read 8,535,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
The companies that advertise that they will "help you" just fill out the same claim forms that you do and then take a percentage of whatever you get as a settlement. I'd recommend you just do it yourself. It didn't take long to get the forms and fill them out. Google "masonite siding" and that should take you directly to the website for class action suit against masonite. I got the forms from that website and went from there.

Hope this helps!

Vicki
Be aware that not all hardi plank siding is Masonite. There are many (6-8) different kinds of hardi plank siding which were installed on homes in this area. I tried to do the claims process by myself. I sent in the form and sample of the siding to masonite and they sent me a letter 1 month later saying that it was not Masonite. I'm finally just using one of those companies so I can get it over and done with (even if they do take 40% of the settlement). They told me that my siding was called "Abtco" and they will try and fight with you over how much they give, unlike Masonite. Because of that reason the company I'm working with will take 40% instead of 30% like they noramlly do.

Just make sure if you do it yourself, you absolutely know what kind of brand name siding you have!

Old 05-31-2007, 03:36 PM

First of all...hardi plank is NOT masonite. Hardi plank is a fiber cement product.

Abitibi IS a masonite product.

Yep...it does help to know what you have before you try to get a refund! On the masonite website, they tell you how to check your siding to tell if you have their products. That would be STEP ONE!

Vicki

Old 06-05-2007, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 20,872 times
I recently moved to Durham, and am in a subdivision of all hardboard siding homes. I was unaware of the problems with this material before purchasing the home. Our inspector did mention that there was some wood rot on our chimney that would most likely require some amount of repair before the next paint job. I decided to get the work done sooner than later. Well, when the handymen arrived, they saw the damage and informed us that it was extensive. I was pretty frustrated. I did some searching and found that there was indeed an open, and still valid class action lawsuit for Masonite. When they pulled some of the board, it did not match the Masonite labeling as found at their claim website. To the best of my investigative skill, which may not be so hot, I have the Abitibi stuff. I am going to start a claim next week after I verify that this is what I have. I just hope that this will cover my repairs. I feel like I got suckered by the agent and inspector who should have told me more about this material. In the meantime, the repair cost for just my chimney was far more than the $700 Vicki mentioned here. I am worried about what my final bill would be! I would love to put vinyl siding on, but I doubt that is to the "code" of my HOA. The hardiplank is good stuff, but expensive and still requires more maintenance than vinyl. Oh well. Live and learn, right?

Old 06-05-2007, 10:54 PM

gjlowe, I'm glad you had an inspection. However, why didn't you have the seller do the repairs?

The Abitibi is covered under the masonite lawsuit but its only good for 20 years, so get a move on! Go to the website about the class action lawsuit and you'll see all the photos that will help you decide what siding you actually have.

Alot of HOAs that didn't allow vinyl are now allowing you to cover with vinyl provided they approve it. It can't hurt to ask!

Good luck!

Vicki

Old 06-06-2007, 07:04 AM

3 posts, read 20,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
gjlowe, I'm glad you had an inspection. However, why didn't you have the seller do the repairs?

The Abitibi is covered under the masonite lawsuit but its only good for 20 years, so get a move on! Go to the website about the class action lawsuit and you'll see all the photos that will help you decide what siding you actually have.

Alot of HOAs that didn't allow vinyl are now allowing you to cover with vinyl provided they approve it. It can't hurt to ask!

Good luck!

Vicki
We did get a small credit for repair, but had no idea about the extent of the damage. Our inspector really failed us there.

Now I thought the Abitibi was a separate case from the Masonite. Is that not correct? Which website are you referring to, the masoniteclaims.com one? I only saw information there about real Masonite branded siding.

I do have to check with my HOA as to the rules. I am frustrated that I already paid a guy to fix a small portion of the damage, since I didn't know about all of this beforehand. If I DO go vinyl, this replacement will have been a blown $1000. If I go with the hardiplank, then it won't matter, save for the fact that I won't be able to recover that portion of the repair. I am just surprised that you were able to repair all of yours for so little compared to what I paid for just a few strips of siding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary