Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 04:08 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by repair Incorporated View Post
Cary's taxes may also be higher.
Ummmm....no. Cary has the lowest tax rate of any town/city in Wake County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:34 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Cary is by far the best town in the southeast. It has a small town feel in many parts, along with city type amenities without all the nastiness that comes with a city. Cary is top notch.
Didn't think it would take long for Cary's unofficial pimp to chime in.

It does not have a "small town feel" and exceedingly few "city type amenities" (although that may vary depending on how you define the term). Not saying to avoid Cary by any means, but pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by repair Incorporated View Post
Wake Forest is experiencing a big population boom in the past couple of years, as it is directly North of Raleigh.
Actually it's northeast.

Quote:
Cary is south west of Raleigh
No, it's pretty much due west, actually. Apex/Holly Springs is southwest. Buy a map, yeesh

I didn't care much for what I saw of Apex or Holly Springs, athough admittedly that was limited.

PS if you like having any kind of even decent-sized yard (say 1/4 acre or more), your odds are small, unless you are willing to buy into an older area (and many of them are kind of dicey) or move well out into the "boons."

Old 04-09-2009, 11:46 PM

4 posts, read 8,116 times
I'd take Cary over Wake Forest because it's bigger and more centrally-located, yet still has the bedroom community, suburban feel. It has also been pretty much built-out, as opposed to Wake Forest, so what you see now is probably more along the lines of what it will be in 10, 20 years than Wake Forest. If I really had my choice, I'd choose Raleigh proper though.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:28 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
It does not have a "small town feel" and exceedingly few "city type amenities" (although that may vary depending on how you define the term).

Well then we disagree. I live in Cary I can can attest to the combination of small town feel and city type amenities without the nasty stuff. It's your right to think or say what you want, but that doesn't make it so.

I am not saying to avoid Wake Forest, though. I would give every town a good look, as different people look for different things. WF has really been coming along, so it is worth a look.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:30 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Well then we disagree. I live in Cary I can can attest to the combination of small town feel and city type amenities without the nasty stuff. It's your right to think or say what you want, but that doesn't make it so.
You would also do well to keep that in mind, esp given what a hard-core pimp for Cary you are.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:30 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauiflower View Post
My family is considering relocating to NC from California sometime in 2009. Is Wake Forest or Cary a good place to raise a family? Does it have a small town feel? How are the public schools in this area? Our price range for a home is $250 - 300K. Can you recommend some good housing developments. We will need at least a 4 bedroom home.
Cary and Wake Forest are two of the more desirable areas within Wake county. I believe they are wonderful areas to raise a family. I have lived in Cary and currently live in North Raleigh. All of Wake County, including Cary and Wake Forest are in the Wake county public school system. Small town "feel" is subjective but to me, Wake Forest has more of a small town feel than Cary does. Cary had more of a small town feel years ago but it has grown. Apex and Wake Forest "feel" more small town to me.

In your price range, there are about 192 houses available. It is going to depend on what other criteria you need. Townhouse? House? 4 bedrooms or will 3 bedrm. and a bonus work? Garage? MANY things to consider when you have so many options but it is better to have many choices than none.

Vicki

Old 04-13-2009, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauiflower View Post
My family is considering relocating to NC from California sometime in 2009. Is Wake Forest or Cary a good place to raise a family? Does it have a small town feel? How are the public schools in this area? Our price range for a home is $250 - 300K. Can you recommend some good housing developments. We will need at least a 4 bedroom home.
Have you considered Zebulon, NC? I have lived here for twenty years and love it. Its 20 minutes east of Raleigh, still considered small town, but has schools, doctors, dentists, shopping etc. Another nice choice is Wendell, NC. Because these communities are outside of Raleigh/Cary, the price of homes is more reasonable, so you get more house for your $. I live in a beautiful subdivision called Wakefield Meadows. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary