Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 07:51 PM

584 posts, read 2,416,168 times

Advertisements

So I want to by a scooter - less than 50cc - to ride around a do errands with. But I've never ridden one. I know how to ride a bike, but is a scooter difficult to learn?

Are there any moped schools or classes around town???
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 09:49 PM

21 posts, read 159,718 times
No, its fairly easy,

Just remember to let other cars pass you since you are slower

Old 04-11-2009, 11:04 PM

584 posts, read 2,416,168 times
I was also suprised that the NCDOT website doesn't list any road that I *can't* be on. Not sure if I want to take that thing on the beltline though.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,270,225 times
Be careful if you get one
I do get 100 miles a gallon on gas

See if the dealer will let you test ride to see if you are comfortable having one.
It can be loads of fun and it feels great with the beautiful weather.
I buy my helmets from jafrum helmets it located in Charlotte but they ship quick and do exchanges make sure the helmet is dot certified
Plus are alot cheaper than retail

Once you do get one dont go to the store right then, practice on neighborhood streets with low traffic til you get confortable.
Ride around a cul de sac so you can practice leaning. Something you will need to know to make turns.

Try to avoid wet pavement, your tires will be really slick.
Try to avoid roads that are 45 mph or higher and always ride the white line or cars will be impatient.
Dont ride on highways it is against the law.

I took mine to the outer banks and rode from Avon to Ocracoke and it was a blast.

Have fun

Old 04-12-2009, 12:21 PM

569 posts, read 1,972,812 times
Although it is aimed at licensed motorcycles and scooters, I would suggest you take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. It will certainly improve your safety and confidence even on an unlicensed scooter. It is offered through the community college system here in NC(ie Wake Tech). They provide the motorcycles.
BRC

An added advantage is that after passing the course you can get a motorcycle endorsement on your license just by taking the written test from DMV. Who knows, you may decide you want to go faster and get a licensed scooter or motorcycle.

Last edited by jeffs555; 04-12-2009 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary