Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2007, 12:54 PM

336 posts, read 1,495,461 times

Advertisements

is traffic to the RTP worse coming from morrisville, or from the southwest durham and chapel hill areas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 01:04 PM

106 posts, read 733,348 times
I'd say Morrisville is your easiest drive of the 3, with Durham next, and Chapel-Hill last. None of those commutes are awful, though.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:52 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,598,158 times
Going south from RTP you will likely come across traffic at 3 spots -- amazingly enough they are all because of problems with traffic lights at the same street.

If you try to go south on 54, you will get stuck for 10 minutes at the traffic light at Morrisville - Carpenter Rd.

If you try to go south on Davis, you will get stuck for 10 minutes at the traffic light at Morrisville - Carpenter Rd.

If you try to go south on 55, you will get stuck in traffic for a few minutes at the traffic light at Morrisville - Carpenter Rd.

There is no way around it. Just accept it. Resistance is futile.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:23 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSUAlum2006 View Post
I'd say Morrisville is your easiest drive of the 3, with Durham next, and Chapel-Hill last. None of those commutes are awful, though.
Ok, I don't live there currently. But others on this board talk about the reverse commute... would the reverse commute from SW Durham be better than the commute from Morrisville? Looking at the map MVille is pretty darn close to RTP... so if it is shorter is it because you take side roads instead of the Freeway?

Old 03-31-2007, 01:36 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Ok, I don't live there currently. But others on this board talk about the reverse commute... would the reverse commute from SW Durham be better than the commute from Morrisville? Looking at the map MVille is pretty darn close to RTP... so if it is shorter is it because you take side roads instead of the Freeway?
Think of RTP as the place to which traffic is heading. If your commute takes you to or through RTP, then you are more likely to experience delays. If your commute takes you away from RTP, then you are less likely to experience delays.

I don't live in SW Durham, so I haven't driven in the morning traffic. But I have had the experience of driving in the evening rush hour, and I have to say it was not pleasant. From RTP to Hwy 54 was stop and roll traffic. I don't have much experience with Morrisville, but from what I hear from co-workers who live there, the commute sounds much better than SW Durham. Chapel Hill would be a longer commute than SW Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary