Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:02 PM

583 posts, read 2,802,392 times

Advertisements

My husband's grandfather grew lemons here in Sampson County, we had a few to eat this past Thanksgiving with our sweet tea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 07:32 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Default Meyer Lemons

Mine is grown by Monrovia. It has been flowering in the garage and I have lemons already started. I just put it outside last week. Once you've eaten or cooked with Meyer Lemons, you'll not be happy with others. I believe it's a cross between an orange and a lemon. In any event, mine will be traveling with me to Raleigh. DH is not looking forward to traveling with my beloved plants and my three adorable cats. LOL

Old 03-30-2007, 11:57 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
HoopGirl & Tigerlily, I might be looking you guys up when I get to NC. If I can't find Meyer lemons in the store I'll come knocking with cash in hand. With all the west coast transplants I bet you can start a lemon biz!

Old 03-31-2007, 09:30 AM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
Hoop and Tiger;
Meyer lemons it is!!!
I can at least try, correct?? I have a perfect area for it during the winter. We will see how it works. Should I buy the tree here in CA before I move, or do you think I can purchase one out there???
Liz

Old 03-31-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Meyer Lemons

LizardLips: The site that Hoop recommended, Wayside ( http://www.waysidegardens.com,) is located in South Carolina but, they have mail order. I might check Wayside out after we move. I've received their catalogs before. Here's another site I've ordered from: http://www.logees.com. They specialize in tropicals and inside plants. Some beautiful plant material. You'll get a smaller plant if you mail order and I find them to be spendier. I bought my Meyer in a gallon container at my local nursery. It was about 1' when I bought it two summers ago. It's about 3-1/2 -ft now. I'm not sure whether moving companies take plants or not. I guess it depends on whether the Raleigh nurseries carry the Meyer. Happy gardening!

Old 04-01-2007, 07:49 AM

81 posts, read 301,279 times
Default Bye Bye Citrus

Yes, I will miss my avocado tree and my neighbor's orange & grapefruit trees. My girlfriend just brought over a bag of meyers from her tree which I'm sure won't happen when we move to Raleigh (maybe I'll get figs instead!).

But I'm so excited to discover all of the new floral and fauna that grows in NC. I can't wait to look out of my window in the morning as see green trees!
We're going to landscape with native plants when we get out there, so I need to do some reading about what to plant.

Anyone have a good source for native plants? Maybe a local landscape designer who specializes in native plantings...?

Old 04-01-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Native Plants

"Anyone have a good source for native plants? Maybe a local landscape designer who specializes in native plantings"

Check out this site: http://www.ncwildflower.org/ and also NCSU has lots of information. NCSU did list a plant that I like and someone over on the garden forum pointed out to me was invasive.

I started a two-year landscape design program in Portland and intend to check out NCSU's program when we relocate. I can now "direct" my husband on the installation of a sprinkler system. LOL

Old 04-01-2007, 09:46 AM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
xochousewife;
I agree totally. I cannot wait to pour myself a cup of coffee and sit outside in the back listening to the birds. That is going to be unbelievable. As I have said in past posts, my pinnacle will be when I see my first cardinal. I have loved cardinals since I was a kid, but never saw one in person.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Cardinals

"I have loved cardinals since I was a kid, but never saw one in person."

Me too. Just beautiful birds and also the state bird of Ohio, my home state. They were abundant in Dallas. When we moved to Salt Lake I was disappointed to learn from a coworker that they are not found past the Rocky Mountains. We have many beautiful birds in Portland, but no cardinals. I really miss them.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:50 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Meyer Lemons! I had not even thought that I might not be able to get those in NC. Does anyone know if you can get Meyer Lemons there?
I got them once at Whole Foods. Probably a seasonal thing though...don't see them that often. It's kinda like Blood Oranges...not a year-round thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary