Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 03:06 PM

122 posts, read 458,377 times

Advertisements

that you can't be outside most of the summer? I read that in one of the threads, and it seems a bit far fetched. We're CONSIDERING a move down to NC from Vermont, and I know it'll be huge change, but I don't want to spend the summer inside because of the heat...! Can someone (maybe a fellow New Englander, perhaps) truthfully tell me what the weather is like? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 03:30 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,462 times
It's not the heat, it's the humidity! When it's 88* and 85% humidity, outdoor activities are miserable. Just MHO, ymmv, etc etc.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:46 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTeratheart View Post
that you can't be outside most of the summer? I read that in one of the threads, and it seems a bit far fetched. We're CONSIDERING a move down to NC from Vermont, and I know it'll be huge change, but I don't want to spend the summer inside because of the heat...! Can someone (maybe a fellow New Englander, perhaps) truthfully tell me what the weather is like? Thanks!
The National Weather Service has no reason to lie about it. An average daily high of 89 degrees in the shade for the month of July in the Raleigh-Durham area is hot regardless of the relativity humidity for most people. I believe the average humidity is around 70% which would translate into a Heat Index of 106 degrees.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:48 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,424 times
The weather can be insanely humid. I know because I grew up in the region ( East TN) Air Conditioning is pretty much required. But... I will say that after living in Boston MA for a few years, Boston was about the most miserable place I've ever been in the summer and had INTENSE heat. plus- it was FREEZING ASS COLD in the winter!
I know people from everywhere think that the humidity in the South is going to eat them alive. It has been a nice repellent for decades. But my advice is that like weather anywhere, you do get used to it. Just drink lots of water.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:09 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
I'm the wrong person to answer this question

We just came here from Dallas last year. In 2006, Dallas had 43 days where the temperature was over 100 degrees. These 43 days occurred between April 17th and Sept 1st, which is only a 140 day period. I'll bet that the other 100 or so days during that period were all in the upper 90's. The highest temperature was 107.

I'm sure the people coming here from central/southern Arizona can do better than that.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:36 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,336 times
Right, but AZ won't have the high humidity.

I'm sure the Vermont person has intollerable weather too, just in different months. In NY you spent 4-6 months of winter indooors due to it being freezing cold all winter. I'd trade that god aweful never-ending winter for a mere 2 months of hot-and-humid plus 10 months of usable outdoor weather.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:43 PM

122 posts, read 458,377 times
Yes, it would be a trade-off, as we're stuck inside for days or weeks on end due to below zero temps. I'm a native VTer, so my blood is pretty thick. I would love to be out in 50-80 degree temps most of the year. Is this reasonable for the Raleigh area?

Old 03-30-2007, 05:46 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,451 times
The short answer: No

Old 03-30-2007, 06:02 PM

494 posts, read 1,388,444 times
I'm in AZ,moving to Raleigh shortly.Summer routinely between 110-115,and yes it's dry,but at that temp.every ounce of moisture gets sucked out of your body.The seat belt buckles can cause 1st degree burns if your car is left outside.Also lived on Long Island for 37 years,with the humidity.Which is better.Well having experienced both I'll opt for the humidity,at least it won't kill you.The heat often kills here.Will tell you this much though,no matter where you go,you always complain about the weather.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:10 PM

177 posts, read 847,571 times
Great comment about the weather, Samdan!

I'm leaving for Raleigh in just a few days. All of my "stuff" is gone, save for what I kept out for the trip across. Right now, I'm sitting in my living room in the Seattle metro huddled close to a space heater just to keep warm. Believe me, I cannot wait to get back to "southern weather" (insert whiny complaining here).

eileen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary