Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 03:27 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times

Advertisements

i pay 140 now for HD, DVR, Cable internet, and electricity
this is gonna stink when i move. :\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 03:49 PM

455 posts, read 919,034 times
Time Warner has canceled plans for consumption-based billing! I guess the court of public opinion wins one!

Time Warner's Press Release

Time Warner Cable Chief Executive Officer Glenn Britt said, “It is clear from the public response over the last two weeks that there is a great deal of misunderstanding about our plans to roll out additional tests on consumption based billing. As a result, we will not proceed with implementation of additional tests until further consultation with our customers and other interested parties, ensuring that community needs are being met. While we continue to believe that consumption based billing may be the best pricing plan for consumers, we want to do everything we can to inform our customers of our plans and have the benefit of their views as part of our testing process.”

I love how they blame it on us ignorant customers

Old 04-16-2009, 04:04 PM

215 posts, read 607,230 times
My little online chat a few days ago the rep said there weren't telling anyone about it and just doing it. This makes me wonder.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:06 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
The U.S. seems to be stuck in the dark ages when it comes to broadband internet:

World’s Fastest Broadband at $20 Per Home - Bits Blog - NYTimes.com

And Time Warner was really out of line with their pricing structure:

The price-gouging premiums of Time Warner Cable's data caps - Ars Technica

Ignorant customers? I think it's more like "greedy TWC!"

Old 04-16-2009, 04:12 PM

215 posts, read 607,230 times
I say we start a new petition on bringing the US up in Internet speed. I've seriously thought about moving to Japan just because of their internet speeds. It's just ****en crazy, we're supposed to be the world's largest power and all but we're at the bottom of the internet gateway.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:04 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
Here in Orange County, my TWC is from Greensboro, not from Raleigh, so this was going to affect us. I'm glad that they've put the idea aside, at least for now. We would definitely switch if they implemented this.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:19 AM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,884 times
Dumb question: how do you know how much bandwidth you've used?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:47 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
Dumb question: how do you know how much bandwidth you've used?
Not a dumb question at all - right now there is NO way to tell! That's part of the reason why TWC customers were up in arms over the limited bandwidth plans!

I think there are shareware/freeware programs that you can use to measure what a single PC is using. I don't know if there's a way to add up everything in a household though - Xbox Live, multiple PC's, Netflix player, etc. In one of the recent TWC press releases they mention that they are going to implement tools that will show their customers how much bandwidth they are using before they revisit the tiered rate system. Smart move, eh?

Old 04-19-2009, 12:25 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Not a dumb question at all - right now there is NO way to tell! That's part of the reason why TWC customers were up in arms over the limited bandwidth plans!

I think there are shareware/freeware programs that you can use to measure what a single PC is using. I don't know if there's a way to add up everything in a household though - Xbox Live, multiple PC's, Netflix player, etc. In one of the recent TWC press releases they mention that they are going to implement tools that will show their customers how much bandwidth they are using before they revisit the tiered rate system. Smart move, eh?
There are a few bandwidth usage meter downloads here. And some fun bandwidth speed tests too.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:14 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times
All business online and developments being made are centered around higher and faster bandwidth use. Like netflix, streaming movies, gaming, interactive useage and so on. The stuff in the pipeline for us internet users is incredible. Yet here we have the ISP talking about bandwidth limitations! It's nonsense! First theyr create virtual monopolies and then this? Once these outfits get their systems in place and their networking completed, it does not cost them more to provide additional bandwidth. The amount of flow they can create right now is virtually limitless. It's all about control and greed. They control the market, now they will control how much profit they make. If they do not generate the revenue providing a cutoff at 30GB per month, then theywill keep lowering until they get their numbers. Or, they will charge by useage starting at ZERO, you will be billed per unit.

Tell them you will not stand for it and will cancel your service if they try and do this. And for the record, I use about 3 GB per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary