Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 02:16 PM

215 posts, read 607,306 times

Advertisements

So, with all this nonsense going on with Time Warner and capping me at 40gb bandwidth a month, I need a new ISP. Anyone know any broadband providers in Raleigh? I'm a video editor that works at home and I typically go through a TON of bandwidth (~10-20gb a week) depending on the work week. Anyone know of an ISP that offers the following:

Static IP
Unmetered Bandwidth
17-30mbps Download Speed
1-3mbps Upload Speed

I like the service I got right now with Time Warner, but with them putting caps on their service I need to switch. I get right now 15mbps-20mbps depending on time of day, a static ip, no ports blocked. I need another ISP that offers around the same as this but no ****en bandwidth cap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 02:34 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
So, with all this nonsense going on with Time Warner and capping me at 40gb bandwidth a month, I need a new ISP. Anyone know any broadband providers in Raleigh? I'm a video editor that works at home and I typically go through a TON of bandwidth (~10-20gb a week) depending on the work week. Anyone know of an ISP that offers the following:

Static IP
Unmetered Bandwidth
17-30mbps Download Speed
1-3mbps Upload Speed

I like the service I got right now with Time Warner, but with them putting caps on their service I need to switch. I get right now 15mbps-20mbps depending on time of day, a static ip, no ports blocked. I need another ISP that offers around the same as this but no ****en bandwidth cap.
Where did you see Time Warner was making Raleigh one of their test markets for bandwidth usage billing? I know Greensboro is a market but is Raleigh now also. Have you seen that?
http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...331_726397.htm
In April, Time Warner Cable will begin collecting information on its customers' Internet use in the Texas cities of Austin and San Antonio and in Rochester, N.Y. Consumption billing will begin in those cities later this summer. In Greensboro, N.C., the billing changes will begin sooner. Spun off from Time Warner (TWX) this month, Time Warner Cable had been testing a plan to meter Internet usage in Beaumont, Tex., since last year.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:19 PM

226 posts, read 788,124 times
Get used to it. All other carriers will be doing the same. AT&T and Comcast are currently eyeing the same issue.....

Old 04-13-2009, 03:21 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I feel pretty good about my 2 year agreement with TWC at this point.
Maybe I should read it?

Old 04-13-2009, 03:24 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,891 times
From what I have heard it is only to new subscribers, did you get a letter from them? Business class also I don't think will be affected.

At least comcast has a 150gig cap currently

Old 04-13-2009, 04:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Where did you see Time Warner was making Raleigh one of their test markets for bandwidth usage billing? I know Greensboro is a market but is Raleigh now also. Have you seen that?
Time Warner Cable Expands Internet Usage Pricing - BusinessWeek
In April, Time Warner Cable will begin collecting information on its customers' Internet use in the Texas cities of Austin and San Antonio and in Rochester, N.Y. Consumption billing will begin in those cities later this summer. In Greensboro, N.C., the billing changes will begin sooner. Spun off from Time Warner (TWX) this month, Time Warner Cable had been testing a plan to meter Internet usage in Beaumont, Tex., since last year.
Yes, I heard this on NPR on my drive home from work. I am not happy about what this means for us down the road, but my understanding is that Raleigh or any Triangle community for that matter is currently not subject to a Bandwith CAP.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:19 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post

Static IP
Unmetered Bandwidth
17-30mbps Download Speed
1-3mbps Upload Speed

That's good news for the rest of us who require basic internet access and aren't heavy bandwidth users my view is people should pay for what they require rather than everyone else subsidize the heavy duty users which is the way it is has been up to now

Old 04-13-2009, 04:32 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
That's good news for the rest of us who require basic internet access and aren't heavy bandwidth users my view is people should pay for what they require rather than everyone else subsidize the heavy duty users which is the way it is has been up to now
Yeah, except they don't say anything about lowering rates for light users. Only raising rates for heavey users. You will likey keep paying at least as much as you are now. It might make you feel better to know others are paying more, but in the end you wouln't end up with more coin in your pocket.

Here's hoping you don't need to look for a house anytime soon. Looking at the listing pictures of a few dozen homes online and watching virtual tours could trip the basic bandwidth limit. Sounds like fun doesn't it?

Old 04-13-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Yeah, except they don't say anything about lowering rates for light users. Only raising rates for heavey users. You will likey keep paying at least as much as you are now. It might make you feel better to know others are paying more, but in the end you wouln't end up with more coin in your pocket.

Here's hoping you don't need to look for a house anytime soon. Looking at the listing pictures of a few dozen homes online and watching virtual tours could trip the basic bandwidth limit. Sounds like fun doesn't it?
Comcast is playing with a 250 gig limit which is different and much more reasonable. Why pay for high speed broadband and then be penalized for using it. This impacts many of the new internet based entertainment ventures that exist or are being planned. So if you have Comcast and use their on demand service you pay a premium for it. What about Directv on Demand? Local government will have to weigh in eventually as the ISP were given certain monopoly rights.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:54 PM

Time Warner's bandwidth cap plans are drawing criticism
This week we reported that Time Warner was to offer uncapped "Turbo" Internet access for $150, while also adding "tiered" Internet access, each with bandwidth caps.

That plan however, may lead to a federal legislation that will completely eliminate "unfair" tiered pricing structures from ISPs, such as that being made available by Time Warner. US Rep. Eric Massa of New York is already drafting the bill, which will curb all tiers, especially in places such as Manhattan or Rochester, where Time Warner has a monopoly.

"Time Warner's decision has the potential to more than triple customers' current rates, and I think most families will find this to be too taxing to afford," Massa angrily noted. "Time Warner believes they can do this in Rochester, N.Y.; Greensboro, N.C.; and Austin and San Antonio, Texas, and it's almost certainly just a matter of time before they attempt to overcharge all of their customers."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary