Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times

Advertisements

Oh, so you're saying Fayetteville St. actually does go somewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 08:39 PM

387 posts, read 1,028,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I have always had to pay for parking in downtown Raleigh except during the Christmas parade, so I know of no free parking unless it's a very long walk from where I need to be. Raleigh leaders have mostly given John Kane the cold shoulder in his efforts to develop North Hills, but yet the city is quick to condemn any downtown property it want's for redevelopment projects.
There is plenty of free parking in downtown Raleigh. On-street parking is free almost everywhere with a one or two hour limit. There is even a small amount of restriction-free on-street parking. Parking is free virtually everywhere downtown after 4PM weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I thought this topic was about the mayor? Who cares about a light-rail system? It's been proven it won't work in this area which is why Raleigh won't be getting any federal grant money for the system.

Personally, I think Meeker has been lucky with his gambles. However, I will not be voting for him again even though I have voted for him every election prior. I just can't justify keeping a mayor in office who totally disregards the recommendations of the professional studies the taxpayers paid for. The studies proved that a new civic center would be a waste of taxpayer dollars. So far the studies have been correct.
The other big issue I have with Meeker is the fact that he wasted millions of dollars to open a 5 block street that goes nowhere! The street was closed 30 years ago for a reason....because it didn't work! The only thing the street is accomplishing now is giving the parking ticket company (Raleigh only receives a small portion of each ticket) added revenue.
Enough about that and don't even get me started on this idiot of a governor you people elected.
A majority of Raleigh voters disagree with your assessment.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:48 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
The only people I know who think the convention center and opening up Fayetteville street are failures are people who never venture downtown.

It is nice to have a mayor who has a vision and will invest in projects that will have long term implications for the survival of the City of Raleigh.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:00 PM

519 posts, read 982,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I thought this topic was about the mayor? Who cares about a light-rail system? It's been proven it won't work in this area which is why Raleigh won't be getting any federal grant money for the system.

Personally, I think Meeker has been lucky with his gambles. However, I will not be voting for him again even though I have voted for him every election prior. I just can't justify keeping a mayor in office who totally disregards the recommendations of the professional studies the taxpayers paid for. The studies proved that a new civic center would be a waste of taxpayer dollars. So far the studies have been correct.
The other big issue I have with Meeker is the fact that he wasted millions of dollars to open a 5 block street that goes nowhere! The street was closed 30 years ago for a reason....because it didn't work! The only thing the street is accomplishing now is giving the parking ticket company (Raleigh only receives a small portion of each ticket) added revenue.
Enough about that and don't even get me started on this idiot of a governor you people elected.
Who has been saying the new civic center has been a waste? Can I get a source for this?

And as a smart man once told me, it is easy to be against something, but difficult to be for something. That being said, how would you revitalize the Raleigh downtown area?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:42 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
Who has been saying the new civic center has been a waste? Can I get a source for this?

And as a smart man once told me, it is easy to be against something, but difficult to be for something. That being said, how would you revitalize the Raleigh downtown area?
He wouldn't...

Old 04-15-2009, 06:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson919 View Post
There is plenty of free parking in downtown Raleigh. On-street parking is free almost everywhere with a one or two hour limit. There is even a small amount of restriction-free on-street parking. Parking is free virtually everywhere downtown after 4PM weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday.
There have been several news articles in the past couple of days about the elimination of free on-street parking in downtown Raleigh.

Free downtown parking to vanish in Raleigh - Local & State - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1484710.html - broken link)

Also, several NC towns, including Raleigh and Chapel Hill, are pushing for a bill in the state legislature to allow credit card based parking meters:

Parking bill advances - Local & State - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1486044.html - broken link)

Old 04-15-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
There have been several news articles in the past couple of days about the elimination of free on-street parking in downtown Raleigh.

Free downtown parking to vanish in Raleigh - Local & State - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1484710.html - broken link)

Also, several NC towns, including Raleigh and Chapel Hill, are pushing for a bill in the state legislature to allow credit card based parking meters:

Parking bill advances - Local & State - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1486044.html - broken link)
Thanks for the links, I had not heard this. Kind of a shame....the free on-street parking is very convenient. I doubt that these meters will force people into the parking decks though.

Before your choice was free convenient parking on street for two hours or the inconvenience of a pay parking deck. Now your choice is on convenient on street parking at $1 per hour or the inconvenience of a parking deck that is probably more expensive. Downtown-Raleigh-goers will continue to choose the curbside parking over the decks and it will be just as difficult to find a space at the curb.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson919 View Post
Downtown-Raleigh-goers will continue to choose the curbside parking over the decks and it will be just as difficult to find a space at the curb.
Seems like the thinking is that this will open up more on-street parking, as it will "encourage" some of the all-day-ers to park in the ramps.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Seems like the thinking is that this will open up more on-street parking, as it will "encourage" some of the all-day-ers to park in the ramps.
Possibly. Except that more than 90 percent of the curbside parking already carries a one or two hour restriction, so I'd imagine that anyone wishing to park all day would already be in a deck.

The parking meters on Hillsborough Street near NC State and on Martin Street near City Market have remained in place all along and I have not observed that it is any easier to find an empty space at those locations.

I guess time will soon tell if these new meters will work as intended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary