Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:24 AM

33 posts, read 122,047 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone... I would be grateful of any help/advice, on what Raleigh is like, to rent or buy a property, I'd be working with young people, I'm doing my Degree now in Youth and Community Work and a Diploma in Counselling so it'd be great on any information about work in this field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 06:43 AM

770 posts, read 2,748,224 times
I moved from Manchester UK to raleigh 3 years ago - It 's a great place to leave with a few not so great things
p.m. me if you care to and I will be more than happy to answer any questions

Old 03-31-2007, 07:07 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,035,128 times
LadyKane, have you lived in the US before or will this be your first time? Will you be getting a student visa or a work visa? In my experience, the immigration situation is the hardest part of all. I'm not sure what the restrictions are for people in your field, but after Sept. 11th US Immigration severely cut back the number of work visas they would allow for people in some fields (tech fields especially). Hopefully it will be easier for you. Definitely look into that first.

By the by, my husband is from Sheffield. He's been in the US for just over two years & we've been in NC for just under one year. He has found the people to be very friendly. Of course, people who meet him for the first time always tell him how much they love his accent and how much they love England, but they pretty quickly move past that & start to see him for himself. I think the hardest thing for him is the heat in the summer, but air conditioning is prevalent so he manages just fine. Besides, it stays so much lighter in the winter here! The earliest it gets dark is about 6pm in the depths of winter. Compared to 3pm up in Sheffield, that's a fabulous thing!

Old 03-31-2007, 09:53 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,376,673 times
Mrs Steel,

Is your name a reference to the fact that your husband's from Sheffield or is it really Steel? I am from Derby/Torquay. I am sure your husband has heard of those.

Thank you for the information about the evening staying lighter in the winter. That has really cheered me up as up here in Massachusetts it gets dark very early. It will be nice to have more daylight in the winter months as I know the short, dark days bring me down.

People will be asking your husband where he's from no matter how long he lives here. I have been here for over 20 years and people are always asking me.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:23 AM

8 posts, read 67,083 times
Ladykane - My husband and I moved from England last year. We have found very convenient moving first to an apartment (flat) in order to get accustomed with the area and we will be thinking on buying sometime this year. The price for a 1 bed flat can range approx between 600 - 1000 USD, and it depends on the area of the triangle you choose to live. We found that property closer to the university was cheaper, but also more basic and less well maintained than other properties further away (for example, the town of Cary).
I don't know if you've lived in the US before, but you might have in mind that each apartment complex manage their own property. There are no letting agencies (although I've found some online agencies that carry information about apartments in different complexes) and you will always have to deal and pay to the complex.
I don't want to extend to things that you probably already know, but if you need specifics don't hesitate to write.

Hope you have a wonderful relocation

Old 03-31-2007, 10:36 AM

33 posts, read 122,047 times
Hello Mrs Steel, Thank you, for your reply.. I haven't lived in the states before, and I'm still studying in England for another two years, I'm just thinking ahead and wondering if Raleigh is for me..
I'm not sure about the visa's My boyfriend is from Durham, born in NY, I did visit there in December for one week, it was my first time in the us, I did enjoy my stay it just wasn't long enough to see places, and my boyfriends car was broke so we were depending on people to take us places, which was ashame, but for December I was pleasantly surprised how the weather was I didn't need my coat, which was very nice.
Sheffield Isn't to far from me I'm from Manchester, and I had the thing with people being mesmerized by my accent.

Thanks again, and keep intouch... Lorraine.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:43 PM

98 posts, read 636,072 times
Sheffield Isn't to far from me I'm from Manchester, and I had the thing with people being mesmerized by my accent.

wow - being 'mesmerized' by a Manchester accent is something I find hard to believe - coming from the sout of England I need sub titles to help me when I watch Coronation Street

Old 04-01-2007, 07:27 AM

Comedian, it's better than a Staffordshire accent, though! Occasionally my hubby likes to bring that out just to wind me up & I can barely understand a thing. I know that "kind slice" = "counsel house", but after that I'm totally lost.

Jdatlas, you're quite sharp! The "Steel" in my screen name is, indeed, a reference to that old steel town. I lived there for a short time (as well as a few other places) before my husband and I were married. And you'll be happy to know that not only have I heard of Derby, I also know how to pronounce it.

LadyKane, good for you for thinking ahead! The visa process can take some time, so the earlier you gather information, the better. There are all sorts of visa options out there for you. When you came to the US last year, you were here on a visitors' visa. Residents of the UK usually don't have to formally apply to enter the US as a visitor, but there are limits in place for visitors. As a resident of the UK, you can only stay in the US for three months on a visitor's visa. And during those three months, you are not allow to engage in any work - paid or unpaid. And you better have a return ticket in place or you may not be allowed into the country at all. The same applies for Americans visiting the UK, but we're allowed to stay for six months.

If you want to stay longer in the US, you'll need to get a visa. Follow this link to find out more information on which visa is best for your situation.
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/index.html
Some find the filing process complicated, so you might want to hire an immigration lawyer to handle the paperwork for you.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:32 AM

359 posts, read 1,834,616 times
Visas in reverse. How long can a US citizen "live" in the UK on a visa if their income is still coming from the US? And how long can a person visit on a visitors visa?
Thanks so much. Visiting the UK is one of my dream vacations.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:24 AM

An American can stay in the UK as a visitor for 6 months. Most Americans don't have to apply for a visitors visa to the UK; your passport is enough. During those six months, the visitor may not do any kind of work inside the UK - whether paid or unpaid. Also, I suggest that you purchase your return ticket before you enter the UK (They can deny you entry if they suspect that you don't intend to leave!). If you would like to stay in the UK for longer, there are various different types of work visas available, depending upon the work you do.

The British Embassy's website has TONS of information. It's bound to answer a lot of your questions.
http://www.britain-info.org/ (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary