Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:35 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,572 times

Advertisements

If you live in an HOA neighborhood chances are they needed to get permission from the HOA to even build the pool in the first place. In our neighborhood you even have to get sign-offs from all neighbors that can visibly see the improvement. Specifically to negate these issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 04:49 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,730 times
I say you should talk to your neighbors about it. Offer them a compromise; maybe they can turn the waterfall off when it gets dark. This is a hard spot, but I'm sure if you're nice and point it out to them they may change. If not, between their water bill and the water restrictions, you'll get what you want anyway.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:01 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkburk View Post
Hi Guys!

My next door neighbors just completed what we joking refer to as the "Scottsdale Hyatt Resort Pool" complete with flagstone patio, hot tub, pergola, outdoor kitchen, and faux mountain with waterfall. It has been the talk the talk of the neighborhood....it really is beautiful and has caused quite the buzz while it was being installed. It is the first private pool in out neighbor hood and as I described it's really amazing...easily a $100,000+ or more.

The main issue that I have is with the waterfall. They run it non stop most days and it is loud...really loud. Think of the sound your bath tub makes when you have it on full blast. Our house is above theirs, we see right down into their yard/pool from our screened in porch (as well as most rooms on that side). It is muffled with the windows closed but open the door to the porch or any window and it is easily heard (even over the TV for example, while I'm making dinner). At first it was kinda relaxing, now it just feels like we are being submitted to some type of water torture. We are not close with these neighbors and I'm not sure what to do...am I over reacting? Let it go or call the homeowners about a noise violation? Will this pool extravaganza impact our property value/appeal to future buyers? I kept thinking I'd get use to it but the opposite is happening! Thoughts?
Go through the legal channels of your HOA and if your area has a noise ordinance.

Going to the neighbor directly can be a bad idea....you never know how they are going to react. Keep it professional and within the letter of the law.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:05 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,730 times
I think going to anyone other than the owner first could be a big mistake. It will create bad blood. Most people will at least appreciate the effort of bringing the problem to them first, rather than calling the HOA (if there is one) or the law first. I know I'd want my neighbor to come to me if I were doing something that was inconsiderate. Sometimes people really don't know. They may find the waterfall soothing and may not realize everyone doesn't think so.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:13 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
I think going to anyone other than the owner first could be a big mistake. It will create bad blood. Most people will at least appreciate the effort of bringing the problem to them first, rather than calling the HOA (if there is one) or the law first. I know I'd want my neighbor to come to me if I were doing something that was inconsiderate. Sometimes people really don't know. They may find the waterfall soothing and may not realize everyone doesn't think so.
Of course you talk to the neighbors first!

Old 04-15-2009, 05:20 PM

7,147 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Wow, that must be so annoying. I think I'd wait a month or two, see if the newness of it starts to wear off like someone here said, and whether they start to quiet it down some.

If it's still not acceptable, I'd go to the HOA and tell them to keep it confidential. If it bothers you, it probably bothers others too, so they don't need to know who talked to the HOA. If you did approach them, they may hold a grudge against you in the future. Never know how people will react.

I had a friend in another state try to talk to a neighbor about something and she got a rant about how "People ought to be able to do what they want with their own property" type thing. Didn't turn out well. Isn't that part of what HOAs are for, anyway?

best,
toodie

Old 04-15-2009, 06:16 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkburk View Post
Hi Guys!

My next door neighbors just completed what we joking refer to as the "Scottsdale Hyatt Resort Pool" complete with flagstone patio, hot tub, pergola, outdoor kitchen, and faux mountain with waterfall. It has been the talk the talk of the neighborhood....it really is beautiful and has caused quite the buzz while it was being installed. It is the first private pool in out neighbor hood and as I described it's really amazing...easily a $100,000+ or more.

The main issue that I have is with the waterfall. They run it non stop most days and it is loud...really loud. Think of the sound your bath tub makes when you have it on full blast. Our house is above theirs, we see right down into their yard/pool from our screened in porch (as well as most rooms on that side). It is muffled with the windows closed but open the door to the porch or any window and it is easily heard (even over the TV for example, while I'm making dinner). At first it was kinda relaxing, now it just feels like we are being submitted to some type of water torture. We are not close with these neighbors and I'm not sure what to do...am I over reacting? Let it go or call the homeowners about a noise violation? Will this pool extravaganza impact our property value/appeal to future buyers? I kept thinking I'd get use to it but the opposite is happening! Thoughts?
You need to move near some real people not yuppie showoffs.

Come on down near me on Capital Blvd.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:33 PM

4,168 posts, read 4,879,858 times
Most waterfalls recirculate water directly from the pool or other reservoir and not from fresh city water, so I don't think the water bill will be an issue.

Now their electric bill might be an eye opener from running all the pump motors 24/7 which can get quite expensive. I agree with the other posters who suggested to just give it some time until the newness wears off or they get their first electric bill, whichever comes first.

Another suggestion if you don't wish to speak to the neighbor directly, you could always mail them an anonymous card or letter with no return address which will at least make them aware of the problem, so it won't be a surprise to them if you have to get the HOA involved at some point if things don't improve.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:33 PM

85 posts, read 451,705 times
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I had considered the "newness" factor not only for them but for us too...that the sound would grow on us. As I type, it is 8:25pm and it is still running and has been on since about 9am. I am a full time Mom and at home so I think that adds to it.

If I had a relationship I guess I wouldn't even consider going to the HOA I'd just talk to them directly. They are not social at all primarily keep to themselves....big pool parties seem unlikely given their behavior the last 2 years we have lived beside one another. (which has even further confused all the neighbors about why they put in such a showplace type pool). I just worry that I won't handle it the right way and will end up with a difficult situation like one of the other posted described , etc.

I guess I'll wait a few more weeks to see how things work out...it's still pollen season and I'm trying to keep our door and windows closed anyway!

On a side note, I went out to get the mail earlier and another neighbor was walking by with her dog and stopped to chat. After about 10 minutes she asked "Do you hear rushing water?" I had to laugh and said "Yeah, I hear it all day"!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:57 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
And when they step up their rude behavior or start legal proceedings against you?

It's always proper to go through legal channels, have every contact documented so you can't be sued for harassment.

Obviously there is not relationship between the property owners as it is. Forcing one is a legal nightmare waiting to happen.

Unfortunately, the days where you can talk to your neighbor about things like this are long gone...if they ever existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary