Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 07:49 PM

38 posts, read 131,547 times

Advertisements

Hello! I just moved to Clayton and don't mind driving a ways to find a good restaurant...what my husband and I are hungry for this weekend are gyros.

We don't really know where to even start looking to find a good Greek restaurant I'm guessing we will have more luck if we drive into Raleigh. We usually don't like chain restaurants and would rather not try one unless it is our only option. Does anyone have a favorite Greek restaurant that serves authentic gyros? We'd really appreciate any opinions.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 07:11 AM

23 posts, read 67,887 times
Chapel hill has the Mediterranean Deli on West Franklin St. It's not up scale buts authentic and not a chain. That area has lots of fun little shops too if you want to make a day of it. Also check out downtown Carrboro just a mile up the street. Great local crafts and antique stores.

Other than that there are Baba Ghannouj Bistro chains all around the triangle. There not as good but likely closer than Chapel Hill.

P.S. Chapel Hill used to have a huge Greek population. If you walk around the area you can still see this in ancient greek murals painted on the sides of buildings. Many shops are now something else but there may still be a greek grocery store in the area.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:05 AM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,894 times
If you're in North Raleigh, there are two Taza Grills that are excellent. And to be perfectly fair, the Greek Fiesta in Brier Creek, while it doesn't scream "authentic" is actually pretty good. Good baklava, too. But I'm not picky when it comes to Greek food- it's all good to me!

Old 04-18-2009, 08:02 PM

38 posts, read 131,547 times
Default Thanks so much!

Thanks for the advice. I'm so glad we have a few places to try out. My husband and I used to go out for gyros once a month or so to a family owned greek place in Michigan before our move to NC...it's one of the few things we have missed since moving. Thanks so much!

Old 04-18-2009, 08:39 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,209 times
Taverna Nikos is another good one to try. Menu (http://www.nikostavernainc.com/Menu.html - broken link)

Old 04-21-2009, 12:29 AM

8 posts, read 32,914 times
I second J_Lurk... as long as it's the Nikos in Durham at Brightleaf Square. You can't go wrong there. The Nikos in Morrisville on Davis Drive has a different menu. We live just up the street from it and couldn't wait for it to open so we didn't have to go all the way to Durham... but few of our favorite items made the Morrisville menu. We were SO dissapointed! We never went back. Now we willingly drive the extra way for Nikos in Durham.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:29 AM

662 posts, read 1,643,710 times
I third Nikos! Except I've only been to the one in Morrisville and I loooove it. They have my favorite, chicken souvlaki platter. It's like all the parts of a chicken gyro plus little potatoes and veggies. I could eat it every day. Also in my experience the staff were really attentive. They have some cutie waiters as a bonus! I'll have to check out the one in Durham sometime.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:17 AM

892 posts, read 3,160,676 times
There is Greeko's in Clayton, across from Walmart. We tried it once with so-so results. Sounds like Nikos is the place to go!

Old 04-21-2009, 12:45 PM

116 posts, read 254,390 times
We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Cary last week. There is a place near the hotel called Baba Ganoush, its in the same shopping center as the Sams Club, I think its on Cary Parkway but not sure. My wife said it was some of the best Greek food she has had. Plus, because it was late the hotel called to make sure they would stay open for us, which they did. And gave us extra stuff at no charge because they were closing. So very good food and nice people. Not sure where Cary is from Clayton though.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:05 PM

460 posts, read 1,274,060 times
just read this during lunch:

gogoraleigh.com» Blog Archive » Edelweiss Cafe Coming to City Market

Quote:
The little German cafe in Selma, Edelweiss Cafe, is moving to Raleigh’s City Market. The restaurant’s menu (http://www.edelweiss-bakery.com/dinnermenu.htm - broken link) features wieners, wiener schnitzel, kasseler rippchen, and other entrees. They also have German beers, wine, and a bakery. Plans are to open later this Spring, but more details are coming soon on their website.
Nice to hear of things moving in to City Market, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary