Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 12:31 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,995 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!

For all of those who have relocated from the north eat to the Triangle
(Raleigh) do you feel your allergies are worse the same or better from where you originally lived?

I have heard a few different opinions, would like to hear more. Some have told me if you have a problem with pollen then reconsider your move to Raleigh because Raleigh has a longer growing season then the North east does, and of course less snow.

Others said that their allergies are no longer a problem.

So what is your opinion?

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 12:38 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,797 times
Mine are not as bad here as they were in Michigan, but I still have them and need to take meds when they are acting up. In Michigan I had problems stuffing up all the time (even in the winter), down here my problem time is just beginning and will go until fall. Still not half as bad as in MI, at least I can breath here.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:40 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hi everybody!

For all of those who have relocated from the north eat to the Triangle
(Raleigh) do you feel your allergies are worse the same or better from where you originally lived?

I have heard a few different opinions, would like to hear more. Some have told me if you have a problem with pollen then reconsider your move to Raleigh because Raleigh has a longer growing season then the North east does, and of course less snow.

Others said that their allergies are no longer a problem.

So what is your opinion?

Thank you very much!
It depends? LOL. Some folks don't have a problem with it. They aren't allergic to the pollen so no problem.

However, there are many that have huge problems with pollen. My husband's allergies are a thousand times worse down here. Eye drops, nasel sprays, pills, steriod shots....you name it, he's had to try it. We have friends that have had their allergies worsen as well, but not to the extent my husband's has. (Mine have gotten just a tad worse....still no meds required, but I have a day or two of a stuffed up nose.)

So....no one is going to be able to tell you how it will be for you until you get down here. We are having one of the worst pollen seasons in recent years this year....sigh.

Oh, and everyone is going to tell you that you can't be allergic to pine pollen....don't believe them. Yes, it's a large grain pollen and it looks dramatic on everything and in drifts like yellow snow, and it doesn't bother everyone. However, it is possible to be allergic to it no matter what folks say. When my husband was tested, he came back highly allergic to pine pollen.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:46 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,432 times
Well, this year's been the worst pollen levels in at least 8 years according to the state Division of Air Quality.
Article: http://wral.com/weather/story/1254316/

Old 04-01-2007, 01:10 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Depends on what you are allergic too. Oddly enough Pine pollen does not bother my hubby but there is a weed that blooms here in Oregon in June/July that really affects him.

www.pollen.com tells you what is currently blooming where you live. It's an excellent tool to figure out what is make you sneeze.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:52 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,005,206 times
We have sailed smoothly into this pollen season with no allergies at all UNTIL now. Boom Friday at 4pm they hit this family like a ton of bricks LOL! In CA we had allergies 24/7/365. We were out here from June to August off and on home searching and no bothers. From August until now no worries. Even when the pollen first started nothing but once we got the rain the other day in combo with the pollen it kicked it into high gear with us. But if we just have to worry about pollen season then it still will be a vast improvement over having them all the time. How long does pollen season last? We started our allergy meds yesterday and already are seeing a vast improvement. (zyrtec/singulair).

Old 04-01-2007, 02:18 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,562,426 times
I was bad when I moved here, then ok last several years. This year is bad again, and I can tell its the worst. Sneezing,itchy watery eyes are the worst. I never had an allergy in Connecticut. Oh well I love it here anyway. :-)

Old 04-01-2007, 02:35 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,666 times
Smile I am suffering more here than I did on Long Island...

I am suffering big time, but I'll live. Plenty of fluids, allergy relief meds and plenty of exercise/activity are keeping me ahead of it. I won't allow the pollen to get to me...I actually was outside the better part of the afternoon yesterday...I have been exploring a different park each weekend. Last weekend was Umstead Park, yesterday came across Lake Johnson, beautiful Lake, trails, I had fun. Love the outdoors!

Old 04-01-2007, 08:23 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,562,426 times
You are so brave to be out there in the middle of a park with allergies. I would probably be laid out for a week if I did that. Someone told me the other day to eat a spoon of raw honey each day, to lessen the allergies. I need to try that. Has anyone heard of that? I drove by a small pond in Creedmoor today and one whole side of it was so yellow with pollen. Then I walked the dog with flip flops on and when I came in my feet were all yellow...YUK!

Old 04-01-2007, 08:30 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
Someone told me the other day to eat a spoon of raw honey each day, to lessen the allergies. I need to try that. Has anyone heard of that?
The honey trick is an old-time folk remedy. It works because honey is made from pollen basically, and using it desensitize the body to the effects of pollen (for some, doesn't work for everyone).

The real key if it is to have any chance of even working is that you use raw honey from the same general area as you live and are being exposed to the pollen in.

It does no good to use honey made from say, orange blossoms, when orange blossom pollen wouldn't be causing problems in NC!

I don't think I've seen any local honey, but there would almost have to be some, somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary