Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 08:38 AM

38 posts, read 145,493 times

Advertisements

Question to all of the California transplants now living in the Triangle area. In particular, transplants who previously owned a home in the golden state.

What are the major differences (if any) when buying a home in North Carolina (as opposed to California)?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 10:31 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,967 times
Off the top of my head, I would say the things that stand out to me were that I didn't get the feeling like the disclosure laws were the same here in NC as they were in CA. In CA, I had to disclose ANY issues and the buyers had recourse if I didn't. Here, I felt like the sellers claimed to "forget" alot of the issues with this house, and we had to confront them about them once WE found them. And from what I could find, there was no recourse against the seller or the inspector if they missed things...which both did. Also, I know NC is one of only a few states where you meet with an attorney at closing instead of at an escrow office like in CA. I kinda liked it because I felt like I had an actual attorney who really knew something and I felt confident about the answers to my questions. You may also meet the sellers at this point..they are invited to closing but in our case, their agent represented them. Otherwise, the things were learned to notice as CA newcomers were: I would just say make sure you are completely aware of what is around your house for several blocks (birdseye view is your friend) because the trees block alot of construction projects, sewer ponds, etc. Also, make sure you know what roads may be widened in the future and ask your realtor about the effects. Depending on where you are moving from & to, this may or may not be an issue for you. But this a growing area and the landscape is changing all the time. Good luck!

Old 04-21-2009, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 7,987 times
You have a better chance of getting a home w/ wood trim and molding...the hardwood floors are usually not covered w/ wall to wall carpet....generally, your neighbors home is not 5' away, trees...lots of them.....you have siding issues rather than stucco....you don't have to remove the bars from the windows....you don't have to put up new bars on the windows...tile countertops don't seem as popular here...

...should i stop....sorry I'm a California transplant and was reminising.

yes i know im off topic.....attorney vs escrow was the only noticable difference to me.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:32 PM

94 posts, read 175,711 times
You aren't 'in escrow' in NC like in CA... here when you put an offer in, you are 'under contract'.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:42 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,086 times
The closing with an attorney's office actually made me a bit nervous. The attorney's offices takes all the $ and placed into his own account and held it there until the funds were distributed at closing. I then did some google searches (after having deposited the money into his account via wire transfer) about attorneys who skipped town with the cash! You would be surprised how many there are. Or, they go belly up, with your $!

Also, NC offers VERY little legal protection for your home against creditors, lawsuits etc. In Texas for example, you go out run someone over while drunk, kill them get sued and they can't touch your home. Here, they can take it right out from under ya for anything. Most people are unaware of this. Having equity in your home can be a dangerous position in NC, as it is a target for scrupulous attorneys and their clients.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:58 PM

18,074 posts, read 15,658,847 times
>What are the major differences (if any) when buying a home in North Carolina (as opposed to California)?

When I purchased in northern CA in 1999 I had to bid over (way over) the asking price to get my house as there were multiple offers and it was a seller's market.

Here in NC you not only don't have to overbid, you can probably find a really good deal now since the market is so depressed.

As for the rest of the process, it felt pretty similar to me otherwise: contract, inspections, negotiations, appraisal, etc, etc. There was a closing attorney instead of paper signing at title company. Maybe a bit less paperwork in NC and of course generally not the :-O funds you are handing over for your downpayment on surrealestate CA prices.

My house here just happened to appraise for $10K less than what the contract price when I made my offer in '06 AND the sellers were already under contract for a new home so they really had no choice but to drop their price by the $10K!! It worked out beautifully for me because I would have walked away otherwise. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary