Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 12:24 PM

194 posts, read 490,591 times

Advertisements

Having moved here in the Summer of 2009, I can completely realate to your concerns. We have a 12, 10 and 7 year old and are still renting due to the concern of being reassinged, on top of the fact that my now 7th grader will be in HS in two yrs and will automatically be in traditional and my younger ones could possibly be in year round, it's very messy.
I realize there is only so much that the county can do, but maybe breaking into smaller sections and allowing people to buy houses with the security of knowing they will not be reassigned in 3 to 4 yrs.
I will be cautious to make the move! I am having many regrets!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 12:39 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Parents concerns about reassignments and year round changes in Wake County have been met with contempt from the school board.
They forget they are supposed to be representing the parents.

Maybe if the builders and developers start having concerns because people are scared to move here they will listen.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:46 PM

280 posts, read 740,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Choosing an area based on the school systems is very common.
I agree its a major decision.
But am I correct in assuming that the only major issue with WCPSS is the school reassignment ? Wake county already offers a 3 year projection for each node.
Several families got reassigned almost every year the last few years but even more families have remained at their base school as well. So to read only the bad experiences (usually people dont post if they have not been reassigned) and not moving here just fearing reassignment is what I was commenting about. This is assuming everything else is lined up for the OP.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:54 PM

488 posts, read 1,554,304 times
You might want to look into Chapel Hill if private school is not an option.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoyMommy View Post
Always a good suggestion, but CHCCS are not cheap. You'll pay more for a comparable house in the school district than you might elsewhere, and property taxes will also be higher. Excellent schools, though, and worth comparing.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 7,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclass View Post
I agree its a major decision.
But am I correct in assuming that the only major issue with WCPSS is the school reassignment ? Wake county already offers a 3 year projection for each node.
Several families got reassigned almost every year the last few years but even more families have remained at their base school as well. So to read only the bad experiences (usually people dont post if they have not been reassigned) and not moving here just fearing reassignment is what I was commenting about. This is assuming everything else is lined up for the OP.

Reassignments are only one issue apparently. The school board is currently being sued because of the forced year round schoos issue. Also according to demographics, 20% of grammar school students in wake county either do not speak english or are classified as english as a second language. If these students are being redistricted to more favorable schools( cary apex ), then that would impact my childrens education.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:18 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoyMommy View Post

The greater area in NC is nice, if you need public school and are worried about the busing system in Raleigh, look at some of the nearby cities to live. Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Durham, etc. - all very nice, with good systems and better busing.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazan1217 View Post
My family and I were very close to relocating to Cary. My office opened up an office on the Raleigh-Cary border. I can not believe all of the uncertainties we would have regarding schools. I have an 11, 9, and an 8 yr. old. Is there anyone out there that could give good reasons to still relocate, even with all the school issues. Going to private school is not an option.
Ironically, it's in large part because so many people (dare I say "such as you" )are moving here, so quickly, that the problem exists in the first place. Population is growing too fast to build new schools, so they have to keep redrawing the districts. There ARE other counties close by where you could still work in Raleigh/Cary but not live in Wake.

Last edited by Francois; 04-21-2009 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 01:26 PM

94 posts, read 175,633 times
This is one of the reasons why we chose Clayton (in Johnston County)....... and our child is only 20 months old!

Old 04-21-2009, 01:45 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
OP, I'm another who shares your concerns with Wake's policy, so rather than subject my son to the social experiments, we moved to out of Raleigh (my hometown) to Durham. Now he's zoned to good, conveniently-located neighborhood schools with a full complement of music, foreign language, and other offerings not found in all Wake schools. We also aren't concerned about him being reassigned every few years because DPS doesn't have the same policies as WCPSS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary