Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:59 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadesign View Post
In Northern NJ, especially, which is where the OP is from, you have mostly Colonial towns where the neighborhoods fan out from a center of town. You can drive from one town to the next and know when you have entered and when you have left a town. Often, you can walk from your home to the center of town and usually there is train that runs through it. Usually there is a south side and a north side. If you live on X street, you go to X school, etc. Here it is Subdivision land and you have no idea where Cary starts, Apex begins, Holly Springs overlaps. I have friends in the same subs and one says it's a Cary address and the other says it's Apex. That is what I mean. It's my opinion and observation, plain and simple and that is what the poster of the question wants - correct? Opinions & experience moving to NC from NJ. And that's mine.
^^ Calm down. I just didn't understand what you meant. I'm from Central Jersey and the towns where I grew up are quite large and you can't walk from your house to the center of town. My town didn't even have a main street. I don't see that much difference between there and here. That is my experience moving to NC from NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 06:56 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,535 times
Default reply

Quote:
If you read my post, you will see that I said they are not towns as you know them to be in NJ. There is a big difference.

And Wake is trying to move to all year-round schools, at least for elementary grades - that is why they changed the cut off date this year to August 31st from October. There is a class action lawsuit going on currently regarding this issue of forced year-round schools.
Wake County is not trying to go to all year round elementary schools. That is completely false. They are not trying to do that and it will NEVER happen anyway.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:30 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
Quote:
that is why they changed the cut off date this year to August 31st from October.
Wake County didn't change the cut off date. The change from October to August is statewide. Beginning this year, all Kindergartners in NC must be 5 by August 31st. The decision was made back in 2007.

An article published on Friday, June 22, 2007 New school age cutoff: Aug. 31 (http://www.newsobserver.com/front/story/612949.html - broken link)

Old 06-25-2009, 08:10 PM

306 posts, read 883,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Wake County didn't change the cut off date. The change from October to August is statewide. Beginning this year, all Kindergartners in NC must be 5 by August 31st. The decision was made back in 2007.

An article published on Friday, June 22, 2007 New school age cutoff: Aug. 31 (http://www.newsobserver.com/front/story/612949.html - broken link)
Thank you, yes, I made a mistake in saying that was a Wake co. change.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:25 AM

481 posts, read 1,086,616 times
I have been here 4 years now and love it! I totally agree about the rude kids! I never realized it until I came here and saw it. I was thinking...I knew the adults could be rude in NJ but man ...many kids would not bother to say please, thank you etc.. The weather is great, mild winters.. no more 2ft snow storm coming in. I like that it is very family friendly...tons of parks for kids with nice play areas. House prices have even come down a little here and by that I mean maybe 10k less for an existing home. Not sure with new construction. The inventory is more in that area for sure. Not as many buying compared to when we first moved. People here are great both native and relocated. Most feel the same as you... tired of the congestion, rudeness, expense, weather etc so I have run into many nice people.
The loss of income...hard to say. Ideally if you can walk away from the sale of your house in NJ, buy something outright here or have a very small mortgage then if the business is slow at first you it won't affect your finances. Hope that helps!

Old 06-26-2009, 07:10 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Has anyone NOT moved to NC from NJ?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:11 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Has anyone NOT moved to NC from NJ?

I'm about to head up to NJ for the weekend. Trust me, there are plenty of people still left up there!

Old 06-26-2009, 07:12 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishellina View Post
I have been here 4 years now and love it! I totally agree about the rude kids! I never realized it until I came here and saw it. I was thinking...I knew the adults could be rude in NJ but man ...many kids would not bother to say please, thank you etc.. The weather is great, mild winters.. no more 2ft snow storm coming in. I like that it is very family friendly...tons of parks for kids with nice play areas. House prices have even come down a little here and by that I mean maybe 10k less for an existing home. Not sure with new construction. The inventory is more in that area for sure. Not as many buying compared to when we first moved. People here are great both native and relocated. Most feel the same as you... tired of the congestion, rudeness, expense, weather etc so I have run into many nice people.
The loss of income...hard to say. Ideally if you can walk away from the sale of your house in NJ, buy something outright here or have a very small mortgage then if the business is slow at first you it won't affect your finances. Hope that helps!
Rude adults have to start somewhere...usually that means that they start as rude children.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:47 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
In Northern NJ, especially, which is where the OP is from, you have mostly Colonial towns where the neighborhoods fan out from a center of town. You can drive from one town to the next and know when you have entered and when you have left a town. Often, you can walk from your home to the center of town and usually there is train that runs through it. Usually there is a south side and a north side. If you live on X street, you go to X school, etc. Here it is Subdivision land and you have no idea where Cary starts, Apex begins, Holly Springs overlaps. I have friends in the same subs and one says it's a Cary address and the other says it's Apex. That is what I mean. It's my opinion and observation, plain and simple and that is what the poster of the question wants - correct? Opinions & experience moving to NC from NJ. And that's mine.
That's an awfully blanket statement to make about the whole state, based merely on extremely-high-fast-growth areas like Cary and Apex. Cary and Apex are NOT "NC", as much as some folks like to think they are

Old 06-26-2009, 09:08 AM

306 posts, read 883,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
That's an awfully blanket statement to make about the whole state, based merely on extremely-high-fast-growth areas like Cary and Apex. Cary and Apex are NOT "NC", as much as some folks like to think they are
But I believe it's pretty accurate when speaking of the Raleigh area, which is what she's asking about. I wasn't speaking of the entire state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary