Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 06:28 PM

312 posts, read 1,904,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinatrendsetter View Post
FYI, There is to be a new mall built on land adjacent to the white oak shopping center in Garner also. I think starting construction in the 2008 timeframe. Not sure what time of stores it will have. I'm not thinking it will be terribly highend though do to the rural nature of that part of the county though.

Also murmerings of a mall in Holly Springs area in the future.

When I read this, I was surprised. Living in Clayton since last year, I have not heard anything about this. How did you find out? I would love to read the article if you can find one online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 08:29 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
Crabtree has a playarea best suited for early walkers and explorers, it is small. There are also a lot of coin operated rides at Crabtree. I've never had a problem parking there and like that they have a Crate and Barrel, Cheesecake factory, Gymboree.

Cary Towne Center has a carousel and a train along with a bunch of coin operated rides, but no place to run around in an enclosed area. There is a Children's Place, Gymboree, Gap Kids so pretty much the standard children's clothing stores.

Southpointe has a big play area, but almost everytime I've been there, the big kids (8 and up) overrun the place and make it unsafe for my 2 and 3 year olds to safely play. The play area is done in a sports theme and my girls seem to enjoy it. The mall is nicely done and updated more than the others. It has a regular shape anchored by the big box stores. The outdoor part of the mall is a nice experience with a lot of stores. The only downside is a section where cars can cut through so it isn't a good place to let the kids walk without keeping an eagle eye on them.

Triangle Towne Ctr has a nice play area too. It is a good size and offers a lot to keep the kids entertained. I don't particularly like the layout of the mall because of the off-shoots and its irregular shape. I always feel like I'm missing out on a part of the mall.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:35 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
Southpointe has a big play area, but almost everytime I've been there, the big kids (8 and up) overrun the place and make it unsafe for my 2 and 3 year olds to safely play. The play area is done in a sports theme and my girls seem to enjoy it. The mall is nicely done and updated more than the others. It has a regular shape anchored by the big box stores. The outdoor part of the mall is a nice experience with a lot of stores. The only downside is a section where cars can cut through so it isn't a good place to let the kids walk without keeping an eagle eye on them.

I was very surprised when I saw that the cars can cut through. What a poor design. Would be much nicer if it was car-free.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:35 AM

233 posts, read 860,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprincess View Post
When I read this, I was surprised. Living in Clayton since last year, I have not heard anything about this. How did you find out? I would love to read the article if you can find one online.
CP,

I haven't seen any "articles" on this, but I do work in the construction industry and have heard about this for the last year or so. As you come up 70
heading towards Garner, on the right is an abondoned bike store, just before the intersection of White Oak/Jones Sausage Rd. That land is supposed to be cleared for mixed commercial use, with a pedestrian walkway bridge going over 70 to the current White Oak Shopping Center. After you go through the intersection the land on the left is supposed to be where the mall is going. There was also some talk of the land on the right being sold for mixed commerical use also. Basically.. that whole intersection will be a shoppers paradise probably by 2012. There are no real details that I know of yet.. but I've heard the 2008 timeframe as well for the work on the mall to begin. If you think about it, its great location with 40 right there, 540 won't be too far up the road, back towards Clayton.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:50 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
Are there any malls located in the Cary/Holly Springs/Clayton area? If so do they have an inside area for kids to play at? What is the shopping like there in Raleigh. Also what are your current gas prices?
Hi,
I am not sure about malls in the areas you mention. I have grown to love:

Southpoint Mall in Durham
http://www.streetsatsouthpoint.com/html/index10.asp (broken link)

Brier Creek Commons - Raleigh/Durham Border (I currently live in Brier Creek)
http://www.shopbriercreekcommons.com/

Crabtree Valley Mall - Raleigh
http://www.crabtree-valley-mall.com/

Triangle Town Center - Raleigh/Wake Forest area
http://www.triangletowncenter.com/shop/triangle.nsf

I hope the links help, not sure if they indoor play areas.

GAS:

I paid $2.49 for regular (87 octane) in Brier Creek yesterday (Saturday 4/7) this went down from $2.65 from last week.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:49 AM

110 posts, read 332,537 times
We visited Crabtree Valley and Triangle Town Center malls on our last visit. Nice, ordinary malls. I live in Northern NJ and there are big malls all around us. All the same stores for the most part. Kind of silly really.

What I don't like are what I call "new style" shopping centers. Any one who lives around here will know what I'm talking about when I say Clifton Commons. The stores, in this case, Stop&Shop, theater complex, party store, Staples, Barnes & Noble, Sports Authority, Target other smaller stores and various restaurants are scattered all over the property with large congested parking lots in between.

It's nuts...you have to drive your car from store to store and hope you can get a space close enough to make it worthwhile. Either you have packages you'd rather not carry all over or you're afraid of getting killed by a car trying to walk between stores. And we won't mention rainy, cold or snowy days.

I noticed some similar shopping centers in our tours of the Triangle. I guess it's the wave of the future...but I just don't get the thinking.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:51 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
Crabtree has a playarea best suited for early walkers and explorers, it is small. There are also a lot of coin operated rides at Crabtree. I've never had a problem parking there and like that they have a Crate and Barrel, Cheesecake factory, Gymboree.
We HATE the parking at Crabtree. We find parking all over the area in various shopping centers to be terrible in layout. But Crabtree is so bad though that my husband actually refuses to go back. We have "boycotted" Crabtree for years because of the parking.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:58 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
We HATE the parking at Crabtree. We find parking all over the area in various shopping centers to be terrible in layout. But Crabtree is so bad though that my husband actually refuses to go back. We have "boycotted" Crabtree for years because of the parking.
I am really surprized....we were there just yesterday.....no problems parking right by Hudson Belk...right in, right out.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:50 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times
We went to eat at Crabtree at the Ruby Tuesday's when we were house shopping a few wks ago...and made like three circles through the parking areas in that part of the mall and kept ending up back out on the big road in front of the mall lol. It was such a maze!! We finally just parked in a parking garage and gave up trying to figure out how to get to the area we could see but never reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post

Old 04-08-2007, 06:53 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
We went to eat at Crabtree at the Ruby Tuesday's when we were house shopping a few wks ago...and made like three circles through the parking areas in that part of the mall and kept ending up back out on the big road in front of the mall lol. It was such a maze!! We finally just parked in a parking garage and gave up trying to figure out how to get to the area we could see but never reach
YES! That's part of the problem there. You are circling around looking for a spot and then all of a sudden you are out on the main road when you didn't mean to leave the mall! When that happened the second time to us, my husband just said forget it, we're just leaving and he's never gone back!

This can happen at Croosroads in Cary too - you are driving around the parking lot one second, and the next you find yourself on 64! The other problem we often have with parking lots here is that you can end up in a dead end row where if there are no spaces you have to back out of the row. I don't know why they design parking lots so weird here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary