Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 10:15 PM

770 posts, read 3,674,330 times

Advertisements

Are there any malls located in the Cary/Holly Springs/Clayton area? If so do they have an inside area for kids to play at? What is the shopping like there in Raleigh. Also what are your current gas prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 10:23 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,650,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
Are there any malls located in the Cary/Holly Springs/Clayton area? If so do they have an inside area for kids to play at? What is the shopping like there in Raleigh. Also what are your current gas prices?
Cary/Holly Springs/Clayton is a very wide area. Yes, there is a mall in Cary. (Cary Towne Center).

Inside playarea...not sure...maybe a small one. Shopping in Raleigh runs the full spectrum from Saks and high-end boutiques to low rent options. Honestly, if you can't find something around here, you aren't really trying.

I got gas this morning on the way to the airport for 2.55$ That is the highest it's been for awhile.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:35 PM

647 posts, read 3,336,679 times
I'm not an expert - only spent a few days there on a scouting trip in January. Malls are a big interest of mine too so I'm interested in the responses you'll get.

During our trip, we stopped at Crabtree Mall which is in north Raleigh. It's an ok mall - compared to other large, high end malls, it's not terribly impressive. But it's got all your basic stores - you can probably Google their site for a complete store list. I looked for a kids' play area and didn't see one, though we didn't have time to see the entire mall. Parking wasn't great, and it seemed a little old to me. But again - they have a pretty good selection of stores.

I learned, on this website, about Southpoint mall (I think that's the name) in south Durham, I believe. They have a website as well. We didn't see it in person, so I can't comment on that one. I also read about Triangle Town Center (I think that's the name) on this site. We didn't see it in person. They have a website with store list if you want to check it out.

We saw many shopping centers - basic suburban outdoor shopping areas with typical stores like Target, Pier 1, Best Buy, Barnes n Nobel, etc. Obviously, though, no play areas there.

Based on what I've read on this site, I don't think Holly Springs and Clayton have much in the way of shopping. Raleigh, like many smaller sized cities, doesn't have a great selection of malls, IMO, though I tend to enjoy malls more then most people, so many would disagree with me on this

Hopefully local residents will chime in with better info then I've offered.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:41 PM

770 posts, read 3,674,330 times
I live in Maryland and have 3 malls within 15 miles. Two of them have an indoor playground which is nice for my toddler, especially during those cold winter months. We want out of Maryland but I am in limbo between NC/York, Pa and DE. So hard!

Old 04-01-2007, 11:01 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,650,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
I live in Maryland and have 3 malls within 15 miles. Two of them have an indoor playground which is nice for my toddler, especially during those cold winter months. We want out of Maryland but I am in limbo between NC/York, Pa and DE. So hard!
Yes, I can see an indoor play area being more important in colder climates...but remember, it's quite possible some days to be out at a park in just a shirt in Decemeber and January around here. Most other days it may require a light jacket.

There just isn't the need for indoor playgrounds down here as there are up North.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:05 AM

312 posts, read 1,902,857 times
Hi! I lives in Clayton and there is a mall called Triangle Towne Mall. It's closer than Crabtree Mall now because we have a new highway that take us on the shortcut route to there.

There is a free play area for little ones. It's located on the first floor, next to the food court area. I've seen alot of kids playing on the miniture ceramic animals, slide, and stuff. It has waist-length fences around it to prevent any kids walk away from there.

I'm not too crazy about Crabtree Mall. I suggest to avoid it, mainly because of terrible parking spaces. It's too crowded, though, in my opinion.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Gotta say, when it is 96 degrees and 125% humidity, the inside play areas are a great thing.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:26 AM
rfb

2,593 posts, read 6,339,895 times
I've been to the main malls in the area - Crabtree, Triangle Town Center, Southpoint, Cary Town Center, and North Hills Mall. Its been some number of years since I've been to Cary Town Center or North Hills Mall, though.

For the other three, they are pretty much comparable. A few unique shops here-and-there, such as a Nordstroms at Southpoint and a Saks at Triangle Town Center (there was a Lord & Taylor at Crabtree, but it closed). But, for the most part, they all carry the same basic items.

All three have indoor childrens play areas. IMO, Triangle Town Center has the best for little ones, Southpoint's is next, and Crabtree is the worst by far.

There are also other options, such as Cameron Village, which I find more interesting than the big malls. No play areas for the children that I'm aware of, but they are nice.

In general, I find the shopping here a little worse than at big cities (e.g., Washington, DC or Atlanta). All the major department stores are around, but they don't carry as many high-end options, and the size selection is not quite as good (which being 6'5" and wearing a size 14 shoe I miss). Raleigh/Durham is more of a "B" market vs. an "A", so you tend to find more casual clothes and less "boutique" items.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:27 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,189,719 times
Ah ha! Malls! Who could live without them???

Now that 540 is open, I can get to Triangle Towne Center in 7 minutes! Although Crabtree is closer...takes me 10 min. going down Creedmoor.

Ok...here's my 2 cents worth:

Crabtree...built in 1973. I actually like the layout for me. Two stories but the upstairs isn't that large since its mostly open. Hard to manuever strollers. Has great stores, easy to walk the entire mall. I start at upstairs Macy's, walk down the entire way to Belks and then go downstairs and walk the entire way back to Macy's. By the way...if you park upstairs, there is an entrance to Macy's and you can get front door parking every time! There is an indoor play area, small, near Sears.

Triangle Towne Center...has almost the same stores as Crabtree but some are just smaller. It does have a Sax's, only one in NC. Harder to manuever since it has "fingers" that tend to go in and out. Upstairs has carpet and sofas for the men who just can't keep up! The outside area is nice, has some shops and restaurants and is growing in leaps and bounds.

Cary Towne Center...a somewhat smaller version of Crabtree. I haven't been over there in a while but its mostly one level so easy for kids and strollers. I don't know if they added a play area.

Streets of Southpoint in Durham has the only Nordstroms. Triangle Towne Center copies the layout. It also has a few stores that the others don't have. Really nice outside area.

Outlets in Smithfield...takes me about an hour to get there from North Raleigh. All the famous stores...Coach, Ralph, Tommy, Liz, etc. etc. Well worth the drive every now and then.

As for Clayton and Garner area, they do have a few really good strip malls with Kohls and Bed, Bath and Beyond and Targets, etc. Doesn't take that long to get to the malls with the new section of 540 open. Nice thing about Clayton is that you are only 30 min. from the Outlet mall.

Us mall people gotta stick together!!!

Vicki

Old 04-02-2007, 08:59 AM

271 posts, read 1,211,853 times
FYI, There is to be a new mall built on land adjacent to the white oak shopping center in Garner also. I think starting construction in the 2008 timeframe. Not sure what time of stores it will have. I'm not thinking it will be terribly highend though do to the rural nature of that part of the county though.

Also murmerings of a mall in Holly Springs area in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary