Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:14 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
No, we haven't ended up moving....though we have thought about it!! We just love our house too much and it's location is perfect. I am hoping that come April when the board meets again things will get cleaned up.
Get on the Board...that's one way to work effectively towards getting things done. Count on frustration and a few extra gray hairs, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 10:52 AM

50 posts, read 273,011 times
The problem that many HOA run into is lack of funds to take legal action. They can try to fine you or force you to fix it but if you don't they can't afford to hire a lawyer. I find that talking to your neighbors about things you find offensive instead of always running to the HOA can fix alot more problems. Many HOA have gone too far with the rules and make you feel more like your renting instead of actually owning and being able to make changes.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:46 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default board

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Get on the Board...that's one way to work effectively towards getting things done. Count on frustration and a few extra gray hairs, though.
Most subdivisions board cant do much without approval from a certain % of residents on some things. It seems these days that while the idea of covenants and HOA's were good:

That there are some people trying to turn them into mini governments and trying to use force beyond what they were intended for and thats what gives them a bad name...

Old 04-05-2007, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
The problem that many HOA run into is lack of funds to take legal action. They can try to fine you or force you to fix it but if you don't they can't afford to hire a lawyer. I find that talking to your neighbors about things you find offensive instead of always running to the HOA can fix alot more problems. Many HOA have gone too far with the rules and make you feel more like your renting instead of actually owning and being able to make changes.

Then that pretty much makes the covenants irrelevant, doesn't it.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:31 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Then that pretty much makes the covenants irrelevant, doesn't it.
I believe anyone in the neighborhood with acce$$ to legal counsel can decide to enforce the covenants.
Most of the time I think the covenants will state that failure to enforce does not mean they do not apply...

Old 04-05-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I believe anyone in the neighborhood with acce$$ to legal counsel can decide to enforce the covenants.
Most of the time I think the covenants will state that failure to enforce does not mean they do not apply...
Nice if you have an attorney living in the subdivision!

Old 04-05-2007, 09:38 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
Default liens

One subdivision I lived, in a neighbor refused to mow his lawn (sheer laziness). At the next HOA meet everyone who attended had a discussion and a vote on what to do.

The outcome was the HOA hired someone to mow it and clean up the yard, the bill was sent certifiend mail to the owner of the property. He refused to pay it and the HOA put a lien on his house. Scary...

Old 04-05-2007, 10:24 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
One subdivision I lived, in a neighbor refused to mow his lawn (sheer laziness). At the next HOA meet everyone who attended had a discussion and a vote on what to do.

The outcome was the HOA hired someone to mow it and clean up the yard, the bill was sent certifiend mail to the owner of the property. He refused to pay it and the HOA put a lien on his house. Scary...
Hardly scary...the city could do the same thing if it got so bad. Unmowed grass in a housing area can be a health hazzard...great breeding/nesting ground for rodents if nothing else.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:16 AM

6 posts, read 16,738 times
I saw a covenant for a subdivison yesterday that specified that you can't have more than 2 pets (dogs, cats, etc.). Is this normal? For a subdivision with 1/2 - 1 acre per lot, a restriction of only allowing two pets seems absurd. Personally, my wife and I have two dogs and a couple of cats. I would be affraid to move into a place with rules like that in fear of a knock on my door one day with someone telling me to get rid of my pets or have to move! I can understand something like that for a condo, but not my own house. I haven't read a lot of covenants, so I don't have a sense of how common those types of restrictions on pets are. Does anyone else have any insight?

Old 04-05-2007, 11:49 AM

653 posts, read 2,986,218 times
How about 70 some-odd sheep? Is that allowed in the covenants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary