Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2007, 08:54 AM

336 posts, read 1,495,704 times

Advertisements

I need some opinions on the Downing Glen neighborhood in Morrisville. How big are the lots/yards? do the houses all look the same? Any info would be wonderful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 09:47 AM

214 posts, read 695,318 times
I live in Downing Glen. The houses aren't anything fancy, most of them look pretty much the same with light colored vinyl siding and typically a 1 car garage. The houses range from about 1500-2000 sq. feet with lots from about .1 to .3 acres. I have been pleasantly surprised with the construction quality, we've never had any problems. I have heard of houses in Breckenridge and marthalopolis (twin lakes) having some issues due to build issues and problematic HVAC systems. The only issue that I am aware of with regards to construction regard the houses that back onto town hall dr. They built the road after these houses were already built and not only is it right in thier back yards', it caused some of them to flood when they started grading for the road. I don't think they flood anymore, but the developer and the town are still fighting over the drainage and landscaping issues caused by the road.

As for the neighborhood, it was basically clear cut when it was built but some of the trees are starting to grow in, which helps break up the cookie-cutter look. A significant number of the houses are now rentals, which in some cases has led to some minor problems. However, I have never once heard of any crime occuring here. We leave our kids bikes and stuff out and always forget to lock the cars and nothing has ever happened. It probably helps the town's police station is a half mile away. The number of rentals and the price range means that this is a fairly transient community, but its generally a friendly place with lots of young families and lots of small kids. But its easy to meet people, there is a neighborhood playgroup that meets sporadically and there are always lots of kids outside and at the pool and playground. One note, the neighborhood is near the airport and some days its right under the flight path. We don't notice the noise anymore but it may bother some poeple.

As for the area, Morrisville is basically a lot of very recent suburban development. I saw some posts you made earlier about small kids and elementary schools. We also have little ones and we couldn't be happier with the elementary schools; you get to choose between a year round, a traditional, or a montessori charter school. The latter two are less than a mile away. I don't want to start a debate, but we moved here from northeastern Durham specifically because of issues pertaining to the local schools and crime. The traditional school (Cedar Fork) has a Morrisville community center built in that offers classes for preschoolers, before and after school care for elementary students, and soccer and basketball programs. There is also a brand new library about 2 miles away that has a very large kids section and also offers kids programs. Cary offers a very large number of childrens' programs as well that are open to Morrisville residents. The town of morrisville is planning a mixed use development and large park right near the town hall about a half mile south of the neighborhood, which will be connected to the neighborhood by a greenway. 5 years ago there wasn't much shopping nearby but now there are several strip malls and some decent restaurants. Saffron is probably the best Indian food I have ever had, and there is also a good Greek place called Taverna Nikos as well. I work right in the middle of RTP and I have a 10 minute commute by taking church street. If you live south of Morrisville-Carpenter Rd or try to take Davis Drive you will hit about 20min of traffic during rush hour.

Good luck!

Last edited by emanresu2; 04-02-2007 at 11:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary