Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:11 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

We've just moved here from Atlanta where on alomost every corner there is a cheap eyeglasses shop. Can't find anything like that around here. Vision works, or something similar with in house eye doctor for new RX. Any suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 07:38 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Eye Care Associates is one popular chain here. They have offices all over the Triangle, including Chapel Hill.

Eye Care Associates - Your Raleigh Eye Center

Old 04-25-2009, 08:47 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,872,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Eye Care Associates is one popular chain here. They have offices all over the Triangle, including Chapel Hill.

Eye Care Associates - Your Raleigh Eye Center

Yes.... but they are NOT cheap!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:09 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Costco has really good prices on glasses - but you have to be a member. Maybe try Walmart optical? I also remember hearing about some online places where you can get *really* cheap glasses via mail order.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:15 AM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
I got mine at BJs for $98. They used my current glasses to get the subscription, so I didn't have to get an exam.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:30 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I bought several pairs online at ZenniOptical.com. They are outrageously inexpensive and excellent quality. I go to Sam's Club to get the prescription. I think paying for eyeglasses any other way is a horrible waste of money. You have to get a measurement from pupil to pupil, but you can ask the eye doctor for that OR get a printed "ruler" from the Internet, making sure you printed it (and measured) correctly.

This is from an article I wrote about ways to save money that is posted on our neighborhood website, beautifulbrentwood.com:

ZenniOptical.com - "Cheap eyeglasses that don't feel cheap" -- starting at $8. They have a great selection as well as progressive lenses for people who need bifocals or trifocals. Get an exam at a local doctor and mail in your prescription from the website. TV consumer reporters have tested the prescriptions, and they are just as good as what you'll find locally. Just a whole lot less expensive.

Here is an NPR audio story about one reporter's experience ordering glasses online: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89576384 (Click "Listen Now")

(Their selection is also much greater, so you can get nicer-looking or different eyeglasses that are not available locally.)

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 04-25-2009 at 12:39 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 02:04 PM

12 posts, read 38,019 times
I agree go the Zenni way my daughter and her HB both have to wear glassed and are in the Medical field they have several pairs and have been using this site for at least 3 yr it well worht the saving and this way she has several pairs just for work and for home dress up times! Just make sur the dr put the measuremenbt on the Pres, Ask they know what you mean !

Old 04-25-2009, 07:04 PM

492 posts, read 1,151,612 times
My entire family has gotten glasses from zenni optical's web site. All are very pleased with our glasses. My sons and dh got rx sunglasses for like 12.95ea. I got 4 pair of glasses and 2 pair sunglasses. Frame #3396 has gotten me more compliments than any other glasses I've had in 25yrs. I've seriously had at least 50 people comment that they love my glasses in the last 18mo.

You can't try them on obviously, so what I did was trace the shape of the glasses we were wearing (and pretty much liked) onto paper. Then I measured all the points that zenni measures and provides for on each frame. We looked for frames we like, then compared the size with our regular frame, we would realize that some would be too big and some too small. When we found a frame we liked that was in the same range of measurements that we currently wear, we ordered it. You need to have a written rx from your eye dr and then you plug in all the numbers. It took about 2wks for the orders to arrive, they come from China. Great packaging and our rx were spot on.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:59 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
We've used BJs ,,, decent mix of customer service, low pricing and frame selection.
Tried Walmart and had trouble finding a frame that wasn't bent out of shape
The biz has become a bit of a racket at some shops. How an advertised $100 pair of glasses totals $500 after options (oh, you want antireflective coating on those lenses so you can actually see?) is something to behold.

Frank

Old 08-19-2009, 06:30 AM

54 posts, read 160,870 times
x3 on Zenni optical/ coastalcontacts.com (website name misleading...they sell both contacts and glasses) etc. I've bought glasses in the 30-50 dollar range that cost well over 200-300 from a local brick and mortar store. I like having 3-4 pairs of glasses, a pair of perscription sun glasses, etc all for well under what I would pay by walking in someplace. Best thing is if you don't like them you can return them. Oh, and get a current exam from a professional before your order, and ask them for your PD (pupal distance).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary