Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:00 PM

130 posts, read 390,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
So, it means nothing. Just a gun. You sure you're not one of those people who want 'guns banned' or some crap like that?

If it's on their property they should be allowed to do what the **** they want to do, stay out of other's business.

Who are you addressing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 PM

850 posts, read 4,740,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by playnice View Post
Despite popular belief, Willow Spring is NOT "the country."
I guess it's all relative as to your definition of "country," because in my opinion, it is. I live not too far from there, travel there frequently, have friends there, and in general, it's the country. If there are no big box stores, traffic jams and stoplights galore, to me, that's the country. And it's certainly not a bad thing. I prefer the country.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:37 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Willo Spring definitely meets my criteria for being considered "country" and I grew up in a pretty rural area. Hearing gunshots in the country is not all that unusual IMO. Hunting, shooting skeets, scaring off wild predators from harming farm animals all come to mind.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:21 AM

892 posts, read 3,161,189 times
Y'all must not have heard....WalMart is under construction.

Try getting on/off the EXPRESSWAY out here in the "country" around rush hour...there are traffic jams.

They add another stoplight every week...just not where they are necessary.

Not to mention all of the subdivisions being built or frozen in building time. I too grew up in a rural setting and there were driveways off main roads, not subdivided neighborhoods.

All said, it ain't such a bad slice of triangle living.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:29 PM

106 posts, read 512,854 times
Quote:
So, it means nothing. Just a gun. You sure you're not one of those people who want 'guns banned' or some crap like that?

If it's on their property they should be allowed to do what the **** they want to do, stay out of other's business.
I grew up in household that had guns--my father and brother hunted. I was taught how to properly handle a gun and have respect for what it can do. As far as your comment on "it's just a gun" --yeah well bullets travel a long way. As far as staying out of other's business-- i believe it is my business when one has small children -- dont want to start anything --just was inquiring about hearing the shots--another poster stated that i may have been hearing a device that farmers use to scare away birds etc from their crops. Since i live near a farm and the shots are consistent like the poster suggested--it may be just that.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:21 AM

16 posts, read 49,729 times
Quote:

It means nothing? Just a gun? You're an IDIOT...
Guns shoot bullets (duh), and bullets kill people (duh).
I live in Willow Spring (a certain neighborhood off of Panther Lake Rd) and found one of those bullets lodged in my dining room window last year. I consider myself pretty lucky though. That bullet somehow managed to get through one pane of glass, but not the second pane. It was sitting on the plastic dividers in between the panes of glass. The bullet was about 1 1/4" long.
If you stand in front of my dining room window you're looking at nothing but houses. That slug had to travel through (or over) most of my neighborhood before it hit my house. That's three neighborhood streets with houses on either side.
I had a sheriff's deputy and a cbi guy at my house for a couple of hours that morning while they extracted the evidence from my home. A day or two later they followed up, and I got a call from a detective who basically asked me if I thought someone deliberately shot at my house. They thought it was a slug from a .30-06.
We constantly hear gunshots. Usually on a daily basis, depending on what time of year it is.
We were encouraged to call the sheriff's non-emergency number whenever we heard gunshots - but I don't have time to call every 30 minutes.
I say that if you're concerned about the gunshots call the sheriff's dept. Not all the shots I hear are from hunters. If it takes 15 shots in succession to kill a turkey or deer maybe someone needs to try fishing as a hobby instead of hunting...

Last edited by Finns2000; 04-29-2009 at 07:44 AM..

Old 04-29-2009, 07:41 AM

892 posts, read 3,161,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finns2000 View Post
If it takes 15 shots in succession to kill a turkey or deer maybe someone need to try fishing as a hobby instead of hunting...
Amen.

Sorry about the shot that landed in your window, yikers.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,555 times
Not sure where you lived in upstate, NY but there were a lot of hunters in NY as well. My entire mom's side of the family hunted regularly. I heard lots of gun shots in NY (and fired a few myself).

Since a lot of building in NC is newer it subscribes to the sprawl methods of the recent past, putting a development in the middle of no where and often surrounded by large tracts of undeveloped land where hunting and other outdoor activities take place. In NY the occurrence of this situation is a lot less common.

Of course I found it delightful that getting a handgun in NC was easier that getting my car registered or my drivers license. In NY it was a feat to get a handgun.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,555 times
Quote:

As long as you keep the bullet on your property and the sound down I agree with that statement.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,760 times
Just so you all know the law, we checked with a Raleigh City cop and you are NOT allowed to fire a gun within 1,000 feet of a residential neighborhood. So I don't think it matters if you're from NC or NY, we've lived in both places, there are laws. Check into them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary