Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:28 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,464,599 times

Advertisements

You might also try this place: Woodstone at Croasdaile Farm

I live here and it has tons of walking trails, but is about 10 minutes from DUMC. You're also not that far from the business on 15-501 or either side of campus (East or West).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:36 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
I'd lean towards Trinity Park/West Village/Watts Hillandale area. Puts you a long walk to campus (from Trinity park and west village can steal a ride on the bus from east campus). The best local restaurants are within walking distance.

For outdoor areas, quite a bit close to duke, including Duke Gardens and the jogging trail around the golf course, which 4-5 miles of trails winding through forest.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
All I know is there is a few areas within 2 blocks of Duke that are tough neighborhoods. One block features half million dollar homes and the next block some guy is dealing crack.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:20 PM

190 posts, read 1,075,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
All I know is there is a few areas within 2 blocks of Duke that are tough neighborhoods. One block features half million dollar homes and the next block some guy is dealing crack.
My brother lives in Cary, in a decent area, and has seen a drug deal going down too... (that must mean there are "bad" areas 'everywhere?').... As I have said a few times (usually in response to a particular poster who doesn't live in Durham), I am a white, short statured, youngish (in my mind, anyways) female who works, lives, and plays in Durham. I could have stayed in Wake Forest and commuted, but I CHOSE to buy my house in Durham. If only I had a Target closer by, I would be in Heaven!!! I love my city, so please check it out for yourself! Peace

Old 04-28-2009, 11:23 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumanurseNC View Post
My brother lives in Cary, in a decent area, and has seen a drug deal going down too... (that must mean there are "bad" areas 'everywhere?').... As I have said a few times (usually in response to a particular poster who doesn't live in Durham), I am a white, short statured, youngish (in my mind, anyways) female who works, lives, and plays in Durham. I could have stayed in Wake Forest and commuted, but I CHOSE to buy my house in Durham. If only I had a Target closer by, I would be in Heaven!!! I love my city, so please check it out for yourself! Peace
No offense, but I can show you neighborhoods within 3 blocks of Duke, that you would consider not even stopping at a stop sign at.

I did not say all of Durham is bad, it is not. I like Durham. But I also know some areas are not safe. Some happen to be close to Duke.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:13 AM

Aren't most areas around any college or university considered "bad"? It just amazes me how certain areas are deemed "bad" because they are near a university or college. Don't discount Durham and be sure to check the area out thoroughly. Don't move close to the university and complain about the noise on the weekend; if you want quiet (at least during the school year), think harder about how close you really want to live to any college or university. It's a known fact the kids will throw parties.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
Aren't most areas around any college or university considered "bad"? . . . Don't move close to the university and complain about the noise on the weekend; if you want quiet (at least during the school year), think harder about how close you really want to live to any college or university. It's a known fact the kids will throw parties.
I think this is the point at which this thread and the thread titled "What do the college kids do for fun?" officially merge.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:57 PM

766 posts, read 1,657,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
Aren't most areas around any college or university considered "bad"? It just amazes me how certain areas are deemed "bad" because they are near a university or college. Don't discount Durham and be sure to check the area out thoroughly. Don't move close to the university and complain about the noise on the weekend; if you want quiet (at least during the school year), think harder about how close you really want to live to any college or university. It's a known fact the kids will throw parties.
I don't know if "bad" is a good word. I think many people prefer not to live near college campuses, so they can be more around people like themselves...

I live in Durham and I like to visit some areas near Duke, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarsgirl79 View Post
I don't know if "bad" is a good word. I think many people prefer not to live near college campuses, so they can be more around people like themselves...

I live in Durham and I like to visit some areas near Duke, but I wouldn't want to live there.
I work at near Duke's East Campus and all I hear is how "bad" it has become. There are certain houses around the wall that are deemed "good", but there are some homes/areas that are deemed "bad".

I live in Durham and rather enjoy it, but it amazes me how many people have told me they used to live in Trinity Park, but moved because they didn't like the noise/parties. Some of them were in houses that were a stone's throw away from Duke, what did they expect?

Downtown and college living aren't for me. I think that downtown Durham is really building up, but after living in West Village for a month and a half, I can honestly say loft living isn't for me. Also, I like to leave the hustle & bustle behind and go to peace and quiet (except for the animals in nature, who can really keep me awake; especially the birds, who never seem to sleep). I understand some people want to live downtown and want to live near the campus, more power to them. But for those who move near the campus and complain about the noise, I find myself asking them what they expected.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:04 PM

766 posts, read 1,657,718 times
I completely agree with you. I didn't want to live in that area when I was in college. I just thought your statement was too general. I think it depends on the college and what you mean by bad.

I went to college in Durham and my boyfriend at the time lived in a townhouse near Duke. It was okay I guess for a young single man, but I never would have lived there. It definitely wasn't a nice area.

I like my side of town and will gladly drive the 15 minutes to visit those areas near Duke. It never really excited me much anyway. Even though I went to school in Durham we typically hung out at NCSU or UNC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary