U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:56 PM

122 posts, read 438,595 times

Advertisements

Should this be a red flag for a prospective family? I was looking at their site today, and saw that they cancelled the job fair they normally do in May, AND have a hiring freeze right now. I was hoping to get a job (as an aide) in one of the schools, and will have 2 in elementary school if/when we arrive. Would you be particularly alarmed or nervous about this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 06:08 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,760,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTeratheart View Post
Should this be a red flag for a prospective family? I was looking at their site today, and saw that they cancelled the job fair they normally do in May, AND have a hiring freeze right now. I was hoping to get a job (as an aide) in one of the schools, and will have 2 in elementary school if/when we arrive. Would you be particularly alarmed or nervous about this?
It just might mean that you have to take another position until things return to normal. It is confirmed they are not hiring and in addition, some will loose their jobs this summer. So I would not count on a school job right now. However, there are still jobs here and there, but they are growing scarce and now with this virus crap it won't help either.

Most advise not to move here on a wing and a prayer and I think that goes with any place right now. Its tough out there, most anywhere.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 26,085,511 times
Quote:
I'd not expect a job at WCPSS.

Teachers/state employees will now give back 1% of their pay in exchange for 10 hours of unpaid leave.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:14 PM

365 posts, read 1,166,194 times
It's actually half of 1%, but yes.

They are giving all state employees 10 hours of unpaid leave. This is happening because the state doesn't want to lay off even more employees. It isn't promising (or even likely) for new jobs.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:16 PM

104 posts, read 360,722 times
In Charlotte they are firing people like crazy and have had a freeze on hiring for awhile. I expect finding a job in any school system in NC will be nearly impossible. At the HS level, where my mom teaches, they are in effect firing teachers and making the classes huge to compensate.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:22 PM

9,821 posts, read 29,049,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Teachers/state employees will now give back 1% of their pay in exchange for 10 hours of unpaid leave.
It's actually 0.5% in exchange for 10 hours of paid leave. There seems to be much confusion over this, but Bev Perdue sent out a clarification about this today.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:06 PM

306 posts, read 685,047 times
There are over 1000 Wake County employees that will be terminated at the end of June. There are others who aren't on terminating contracts and are losing their job at their school (due to changing enrollment) and these folks will be given jobs somewhere in another Wake County school that needs the position filled. So if you are an outside applicant, the list of folks ahead of you in line for a job is long..........whenever the lift the hiring freeze. There are no "other positions" being hired for right now in the schools.....only critical teaching positions.........the job freeze affects teachers, administration, clerical, custodial......everyone in the schools. The principals are being asked to only staff at 95% of what they need because the funding isn't there. The jobs just aren't here like they were in years past...........my two cents is that I wouldn't move here in hopes of working for WCPSS.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:25 PM

448 posts, read 1,279,068 times
If you're worried about it as a quality of education/"state of the schools" issue for your kids, I don't think it's a major red flag - I imagine you'll find similar circumstances pretty much everywhere. Of course it's not ideal, but the economy is what it is, and there are far-reaching effects of it. In the article today about the "furlough" for state employees referenced above, they listed several other states that have taken similar or more drastic measures.

As others have said, I wouldn't come expecting to find a job. . .

Old 04-29-2009, 07:31 PM

31,462 posts, read 38,965,141 times
Quote:
Wake is a very affluent county and there are affluent people losing their jobs and losing their benefits. Many of these people will be applying for whatever vacancies do and might exist in hopes of securing benefits. The competition for assistant jobs will be very high and many of the people will be way over qualified. Understand that people in the banking and mortgage industry are looking for jobs and benefits.

Last edited by TuborgP; 04-29-2009 at 08:31 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 08:16 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,760,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Wake is a very affluent county and there are affluent people losing their jobs and losing their benefits. Many of these people will be applying for whatever vacancies do and might exist in hopes securing benefits. The competition for assistant jobs will be very high and many of the people will be way over qualified. Understand that people in the banking and mortgage industry are looking for jobs and benefits.
Way over qualified how? Just because you have a master's degree in finance does not assure anyone you will be a great assistant to a 2nd grade class. Not to mention, these people are going to fly the coup as soon as they find anything else and the administrators know this. Turnover among assistants is what 10% of the overall budget for their positions? (just a wild guess but it has got to be high)

Traditionally the best employees are found when they are hired within their skill and experience level. So what ends up happening, is many dumb down their resumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary