Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:03 PM

455 posts, read 919,034 times

Advertisements

[quote=chuckreis;8601677]1) ATT has better reception in the Triangle, beat only by Sprint
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Really? I'm not disputing it, just questioning it, as I'm curious. Is there some objective data that shows this? Sprint used to be big here but took a dive when other companies came in and offered wider coverage. Has it made a comeback? How do you think Verizon stacks up? - seems like you have them at least 3rd.

(I'm currently with AT&T; had Verizon before that; and Sprint before that.)
I'd dispute it. I had sprint when I was in Orlando and for the first year and a half I was here in the Triangle. It was TERRIBLE here. I switched to Verizon and haven't looked back. I have never not had a signal with verizion (except when i'm in the basement of a building, but that's not Verizon's fault).

That being said, I'm dying for an iPhone, but I don't want to switch to AT&T. I keep reading about talks of the iPhone coming to Verizon next year, so I'll probably hold out until then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:04 PM

158 posts, read 472,886 times
I've never encountered any dead spots in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, or Cary with my Verizon Blackberry. However, Verizon disables the GPS in their Blackberries and forces you to pay for it if you choose to use it which is criminal in my opinion.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:07 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
My wife and I are on AT&T. I have the iPhone, she's got a BB. We're both quite happy with service and coverage. AT&T's customer service has also been fantastic.

Here are my thoughts on Verizon vs. AT&T:

Verizon will probably give you better coverage in some of the larger buildings like shopping malls and block stores, as AT&T can get kind of weak in places. Parts of Chapel Hill are terrible for AT&T service (generally the lower areas). Not sure if Verizon would be any better. AT&T has gotten better in rural areas, but from what I understand, Verizon is better outside the bigger metro areas.

AT&T is far better in terms of things like international service (using it abroad, sending text messages abroad, global calling features, etc.). AT&T's rollover minutes might also come in handy for you.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:10 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times
I have the 3g iphone and absolutely love it! Only I get a poor reception in my home for some reason. I shoped and researched every phone before picking the iphone. It just has a style, feel, ease of use, unbelievable applications, that can't be beat by any other phone. I know some have more technical bells and whistles, but they do not compare in my opinion.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnraleigh View Post
IVerizon disables the GPS in their Blackberries and forces you to pay for it if you choose to use it which is criminal in my opinion.
Verizon also disables Bluetooth OBEX in all their (Bluetooth-capable) phones - forcing you to use and pay for their service to move files on and off the phone.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:14 PM

355 posts, read 958,110 times
I use my iPhone for work and love it. I syncs with my Outlook calendars and email (even though my company doesn't officially support it - doesn't seem to matter). I can view MS Word, ppt, and pdf docs without a problem. I can't imagine what BB does that my iPhone can't do or I would need it to do. Plus, the potential with the apps is unlimited. I've also come to rely on the built in Google maps and directions to find things quickly using the GPS feature. Aside from scissors, it's the most intuitive device I've ever owned. Apple design really makes a difference.

I pay around $100 a month for around 500 rollover minutes (during peak times) and the data plan. I bought mine refurbished for $100.

The only time I've had an issue with service was in a dead spot on 85 between Durham and Richmond, but that was just for a few miles (as far as I could tell).

I seem to get 3G in most parts of the area. Once exception was out at Fearrington. But, it still picked up the Edge network, which is slower but works in a pinch.

I've noticed a lot of people - including some power users - at work trading in their BB's for iPhones lately.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 PM

675 posts, read 1,833,326 times
We switched from VZW to AT&T/iPhones last summer. The coverage for both is pretty comparable. We just got a little fed up with VZW's customer service, which used to be excellent. We noticed they started scaling back the "New Every Two" benefit (we had been with VZW for 6+ years), and we were literally standing in the middle of the VZW store, looking at phones for over half an hour, getting a little annoyed that nobody was coming over to offer help. So at that moment we said to each other "scr*w it, wanna get iPhones instead?" So we did and haven't looked back.

I have a BB for work, so I'm using both, and I can honestly say I prefer the iPhone for ease of use, the interface and better apps. I am glad I have the BB for work, because I like having a physical qwerty keyboard for typing work-related messages. Touchscreen is fine for emailing friends and family, who don't care about typos. Also, if my iPhone was also my work phone, I'd be checking work email all the time, and I like to avoid doing work at home when I can.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:28 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times
GPS on the storm is not locked at all, which is nice (Verizon)
They have unlocked some parts of the GPS (BB Maps) on other BB phones which is nice, you just need to have OS 4.5 for that I believe.

Still no real push email until iPhone updates until later this summer when they updated it will be a much better system. Right now the BB is better for corporate email purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary