U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 PM

569 posts, read 1,872,140 times

Advertisements

Went by Hobby Masters on Creedmore Rd last week and the store was closed and vacant. No sign saying they had moved so I guess they went out of business. Anyone know what happened? Is it just a sign of the times?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 05:17 AM
DPK

4,207 posts, read 4,752,593 times
I'd go with it being a sign of the times. I've been there a few times, but every time I was there there was like nobody else in the store. So it doesn't really surprise me they closed. Sad, but I guess the best place for hobby stuff now is the internet.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:12 AM

3 posts, read 11,313 times
Hobby Masters had very bad service and inventory, everytime you would go to the store they would tell you they will order it for you, thats great but I can also use the internet and order and have it shipped directly to my house. We all go to the hobby store hoping it's already there otherwise whats the point. I also liked being treated as if I were a shoplifter, this was what the older man did, to a few other people as well from what I have been told. There are much better stores in the area such as Hobby Barn, East RC and Toy Town hobbies. They carry a pretty good inventory and 8 out of 10 times have what you are looking for. This is a sign of the times but also due to poor service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I'd go with it being a sign of the times. I've been there a few times, but every time I was there there was like nobody else in the store. So it doesn't really surprise me they closed. Sad, but I guess the best place for hobby stuff now is the internet.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:03 PM

13 posts, read 43,132 times
Where are Hobby Barn, East RC, and Toy Town hobbies?

Old 07-25-2009, 05:22 AM

Toy Town is in Fuquay, East RC is in Zebulon, and Hobby Barn is in Wilson

Old 08-07-2009, 08:44 AM

275 posts, read 360,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingerit View Post
Hobby Masters had very bad service and inventory, everytime you would go to the store they would tell you they will order it for you, thats great but I can also use the internet and order and have it shipped directly to my house. We all go to the hobby store hoping it's already there otherwise whats the point. I also liked being treated as if I were a shoplifter, this was what the older man did, to a few other people as well from what I have been told. There are much better stores in the area such as Hobby Barn, East RC and Toy Town hobbies. They carry a pretty good inventory and 8 out of 10 times have what you are looking for. This is a sign of the times but also due to poor service.
I had the same experience. When I moved from FL I was looking for a good hobby store, and I was thrilled to see the ad in thephone book for Hobby Masters, which touted an extensive line of plastic kits. When I arrived at Hobby Masters I was shocked to see a very small, and very overpriced selection. (They had an old Marder III kit for $30. Online and in other stores, it averages about $24.) Staff was gruff and unfriendly. My impression was that they considered plastic modelers to be a lower life form, and if you are not into RC, gaming, etc. then they couldn't care less. (I have encountered this same attitude in a few hobby stores over the years.) At first, I thought maybe I caught them on a bad day, but this was repeated everytime I went. The last time I went to buy paints, I tried an experiment, and browsed for about 45 minutes without any staff approaching me at all, yet they did eye me from a distance like a shoplifter. They did have some Osprey titles I was interested in, but I simply could not bring myself to give these people my money, and I went to Barnes and Noble. Poor customer service to Plastic modelers is a pet peeve of mine. If a store only wants to cater to railroaders and RC folks, Fine, then don't stock kits!
According to a staff member at Hungates in Cary, Hobby Masters went under because of rents being raised. But it's certainly no great loss. Considering their terrible customer service, they were fortunate to stay in business as long as they did. Since moving to NC, I have gotten nearly everything from Ebay, or from Michaels. I have never built 1/48 scale aircraft before, but with a 40 percent off coupon nearly each week, you can't beat the price!
I went to the store in Fuquay, and found they had a very limited plastic selection. This weekend I am off to Greensboro to visit the Hobby Masters there, mainly in search of paint.
Lord,I miss my hobby store in South Florida!

Old 08-08-2009, 06:52 AM

They did the same thing to folks buying RC planes, I went in there to buy a motor, when you are there it should be 1st come 1st serve for some reason when I went to the register to purchase the product they made me wait while bull****ting with a customer in the back. I left the store and went to Hobby Barn to by the motor

Old 01-19-2010, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,234 times
I do believe that poor inventory and customer service will kill a hobbyshop, however; what I dont understand is why shoppers have to bargin so much. Hobbyshops do not have huge markups on most products. If the online price is $24 and the buy it now "in the store price" is only a couple bucks higher, why not support you local hobby shop. Running a business is tough buiz and if and only if the owners and support staff are worth it (by being friendly, helpful and willing to warranty your purchases), I really dont see a problem paying a few bucks more for something I like and want right now. That couple of bucks you saved by not buying locally, you will likely waste on something more useless... because thats what a couple of bucks will get you these days... is something usless... and as for Hobbyshops going out of business, I am looking for that kind of information. I would like to purchase a store going out of business...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary