Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:57 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Wow! We have been here 3 years. I have heard of this happening. I wonder if it holds true now that it is so hard to sell a house...

In your experience, what makes transplants move so quickly?
IMO its location, location, location. A number of people come and see an area for a day a week or two even and buy. Once they settle in and get to know the area they find somewhere else to try that they might like better for any number of reasons, such as neighbors, community, jobs, schools, just to name a few.

I do not have any factual data to reference so this is just my observations living here the past almost 5 years. Seen neighbors come and go in a new home community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
IMO its location, location, location. A number of people come and see an area for a day a week or two even and buy. Once they settle in and get to know the area they find somewhere else to try that they might like better for any number of reasons, such as neighbors, community, jobs, schools, just to name a few.

I do not have any factual data to reference so this is just my observations living here the past almost 5 years. Seen neighbors come and go in a new home community.
We have been here 3 years and I have seen it too. Just wante dyou to weigh in, since this is foreign to me. Back on Long Island you would be more likely to do home improvements than to move. However, I can see how, if you survived a big move, making a smaller one could seem more do-able. And, when the market was hot it seemed to make more sense than going through the discomfor tof renovations! As I wrote before it will be interesting to see if the economy pushes people to "put down roots"

Old 05-06-2009, 08:03 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
We have been here 3 years and I have seen it too. Just wante dyou to weigh in, since this is foreign to me. Back on Long Island you would be more likely to do home improvements than to move. However, I can see how, if you survived a big move, making a smaller one could seem more do-able. And, when the market was hot it seemed to make more sense than going through the discomfor tof renovations! As I wrote before it will be interesting to see if the economy pushes people to "put down roots"
Was the same in up state NY my former state neighbor! People would buy a house and pay down the mortgage by rasin their kids in the home and then eventually down size. Does not seem to work that way here and I think you hit it right on the head. Once the big move to get here is behind them they are ready for a small move across town. And that's not a bad thing as any more helps the overall economy.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:24 AM

3 posts, read 4,254 times
Check out covington ridge. It's a small neighborhood right down the street. Nice homes. Large wooded lots. Not many homes, but there are like 35 kids in the first section of this neighborhood. All ranges. The people are extremely nice!!!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:08 AM

605 posts, read 1,258,339 times
Wink How is Wake Forest as a Retirement Possibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
I have friends that live there, they love it, it seems very friendly. Our kids are older, so I don't know how things are for the little ones. Our friends were a bit upset with being re-districted to Wakefield High school (it's not a bad school, just has a rather extreme rich v. everyone else social strata thing going on compared to other schools that they wanted to avoid).

Really, you'd be okay commuting from pretty much anywhere in Wake Forest proper to Henderson really (my husband makes the commute to Henderson as well)...and if you are looking at homes in the Fairlake price range....you aren't going to find a crappy neighborhood. This is not like many areas of Ohio (we are orginally from there as well) that there are only a few 'good' sections in an area.

Good look at the hospital in Henderson....it's a city with issues....and many of them show up there.
My husband and I are five years from retirement by then age 64 - and have looked extensively in the Coastal Plantation Communities of NC - like St. James/Ocean Ridge, Etc. I was surprised to see that this area is actually closer to our children/grandchildren in Southern New Jersey. Are there communities for my age group within Wake Forest area? I like the looks on line of Fairlake(?) because we would like a property with a pond/lake in the backyard (we have this now). Any suggestions?? Thank you kindly for replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary