Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:11 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times

Advertisements

Not to throw the thread off topic, but I have found this knife cuts both ways....

Before moving down here we occasionally ate at a place in Foxboro MA right down the road from Gillette Stadium called the Outaw BBQ.....advertised "real" North Carolina BBQ

.....and I thought that was what I was eating, until I moved down here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 12:17 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
I also would like to add "mexican" to the list. can't find one that is really good. Qdoba and Moes are pretty good though.
You're kidding, right? Please don't tell me that you think Moe's and Qdoba are any reasonable excuse for Mexican food.

Moe's and Qdoba are "fast food burrito" places. A step up from Taco Bell and Taco Bueno. That's kinda like comparing Subway to a NY deli.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:22 PM

225 posts, read 954,184 times
What I miss.....

the neighborhood butcher w/fresh made sausages & lots of homemade breads --not to mention all the other meats

What I miss, but, don't eat a whole lot anyways, so, when I go back home I'll have to get my 'fix':

kosher deli's with hot cornbeef, pastrami, freshly made bagels, etc....
coney dogs
chinese food (still may find one in the area here)

What I don't miss:
Mexican Food -- Much better here! (although I know some don't agree)
tea--sweet tea here is really good

Old 04-04-2007, 12:25 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Ah, Taco Bueno ... I know it's fast food, but I want the Bueno!!!

Isn't it funny what you miss when you move away? I really really miss a certain convenience store chain called Quik Trip. That always sounds crazy to people who've never been inside a QT. "How could you miss a convenience store?" they ask. Well, if they'd been to a QT, they'd know.

Not that Northerners know what these places are, though.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:36 PM

214 posts, read 701,961 times
I have seen Fluff in some of the stores- can't remember which one because I stocked up last time I was in Mass. The Pastene tomatoes I have not needed to buy yet as I had tons when I moved- must have stocking up for something...Devil Dogs and Ring Dings...what can you do? My son got some for a Christmas gift. As for Chinese Food, I will try the place that Raleigh Rob suggested on New Bern Ave. As for Pizza, everyone seems to like something different. We are still looking for our place here in NC. And I do agree about the barbecue/barbeque (I forget which is the way it is spelled here in NC)- much better here.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:48 PM

823 posts, read 3,923,062 times
I loved the "white pizza" in NYC. Has anyone found it (by the slice) in NC? It was spinach and cheese and had a nice combination of herbs. Also good Mexican food is a treat!

Old 04-04-2007, 12:58 PM

237 posts, read 1,029,555 times
not the same "version" as up north. Once you get used to a style of food, nothing will satisfy your cravings. I'm sure the southern folk would think the same about the northern version of their favorite foods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Pizza? Chinese Food? Greek Salads? Um....we got that all over the place!

Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 PM

237 posts, read 1,029,555 times
thank you! you did a much better job at explaining this than I could have. My oldest LOVES clam chowdUH and has given up finding any good chowduh down here. When we went up north last fall we went from the airport straight to Papa Ginos. During the week we consumed chinese food, Bertucci's, roast beef sandwiches, Richardson's ice cream to name a few.....as you might guess, we also gained a few lbs!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I guess this is going to come off snobbish no matter what,even though I don't mean it to be, but, if you grew up on New York or Boston style pizza and Chinese food then what passes for pizza and chinese food down here just doesn't pass muster.

Now I don't go around bemoaning that fact, there are too many positives to living here that we have found over the years to complain over small things like this and my wife and I don't go around telling folks that we don't care for Chinese food here but we pretty much avoid it now

I don't understand it myself but it just isn't the same. Regional differences I suppose.

Its the same with fried clams, there are some restaurants down here that serve something that is passed off as fried clams, but if you have ever had real fried clams in Boston or Maine, you wouldn't touch the ones down here either.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:10 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
If you are looking for great NY style Pizza I suggest you check out Bella Italia on Durant Road in N. Raleigh. They are very friendly and I love their pies. There really are many great places tucked away all over the triangle. Dos Taquitos off Creedmoor Road in N. Raleigh has excellent Mexican and they are opening up a Downtown Raleigh location later this summer as well. Just last night I went to Carmen's Cuban Cafe over in Morrisville for a Salsa Dance Class and had some great Cuban Food. Another great Cuban place is the Oakwood Grill in Downtown Raleigh. I have had great luck finding everything I could possibly need when it comes to great food. The thing is many of these hidden gems are located in your average everyday looking strip malls so they don't really jump out at you. From the outside they look very generic and uninspired. It isn't until you venture inside and experience the atmosphere and great food that you realize they are the real deal!

Old 04-04-2007, 01:19 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times
Okay, without everyone jumping on me... what in the heck is fluff???? Ring-ding??? I bet a ring ding is like a ding dong??? I still cannot even guess what fluff is. Cotton candy???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary