Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:21 PM

50 posts, read 197,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
If you are looking for great NY style Pizza I suggest you check out Bella Italia on Durant Road in N. Raleigh. They are very friendly and I love their pies. There really are many great places tucked away all over the triangle. Dos Taquitos off Creedmoor Road in N. Raleigh has excellent Mexican and they are opening up a Downtown Raleigh location later this summer as well. Just last night I went to Carmen's Cuban Cafe over in Morrisville for a Salsa Dance Class and had some great Cuban Food. Another great Cuban place is the Oakwood Grill in Downtown Raleigh. I have had great luck finding everything I could possibly need when it comes to great food. The thing is many of these hidden gems are located in your average everyday looking strip malls so they don't really jump out at you. From the outside they look very generic and uninspired. It isn't until you venture inside and experience the atmosphere and great food that you realize they are the real deal!
Thanks NRG. Any other great hole in the wall places you want to share with the group? I agree, the best places are usually in strip malls. Small, cheap, hole in the wall. The big chains just can't compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 01:26 PM

50 posts, read 197,887 times
While we're on my favorite topic...food....what hole in the wall, or less well known places, do you guys and gals love in the Wake County and surrounding areas? Make sure you let me/us know what kind of food they serve too, since the name sometimes doesn't match the cuisine. Man, am I hungry!

Old 04-04-2007, 01:32 PM

237 posts, read 1,029,361 times
Its a Northeast food, LOL. It is basically whipped marshmallow. Fluff is the brand made in MA. Imposters are "marshmallow cream". If you havne't had a fluffer-nutter sandwich you MUST try one. YUM. A staple in every Northeast kid's lunch box.

Also, fluff in hot chocolate--YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Ring dings are by drakes. I think they are like ding dongs but aren't ding dongs made with peanut butter? ring dings are basically a vanilla cream center chocolate cake with a complete chocolate icing. I'm sure the drakes website can explain it better than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Okay, without everyone jumping on me... what in the heck is fluff???? Ring-ding??? I bet a ring ding is like a ding dong??? I still cannot even guess what fluff is. Cotton candy???

Old 04-04-2007, 01:37 PM

193 posts, read 245,223 times
I will definitely miss Tex Mex and Mexican food. I enjoyed Bandido's and Carrburritos when I was in college. I've tried them since I moved to Texas and they just aren't the same. I've been spoiled.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:09 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyguys View Post
Its a Northeast food, LOL. It is basically whipped marshmallow. Fluff is the brand made in MA. Imposters are "marshmallow cream". If you havne't had a fluffer-nutter sandwich you MUST try one. YUM. A staple in every Northeast kid's lunch box.

Also, fluff in hot chocolate--YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Ring dings are by drakes. I think they are like ding dongs but aren't ding dongs made with peanut butter? ring dings are basically a vanilla cream center chocolate cake with a complete chocolate icing. I'm sure the drakes website can explain it better than me.
No ding dongs sound exactly like that, no peanut butter. They look like hocky pucks with hard chocolate surrounding them. As for fluff, sorry but that sounds kinda sweet . I guess it is whatever you are brought up with that is the "norm". The only thing even near "fluff" is when we sandwich a marshmellow between graham crackers with chocolate. S'mores....ummmm, sitting around a campfire at night. Yummy.
Thanks for the explanation though.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:20 PM

15 posts, read 59,812 times
Default cookies?

[font="Comic Sans MS"]I guess I have to stock up on Fluff for my move.....

What about cookies in NC? Can you find the Rainbow cookies or black&whites (moon) cookies or rugula? [/FO NT]

Old 04-04-2007, 03:44 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,666 times
Thumbs up agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmarie View Post
What I miss.....

the neighborhood butcher w/fresh made sausages & lots of homemade breads --not to mention all the other meats

What I miss, but, don't eat a whole lot anyways, so, when I go back home I'll have to get my 'fix':

kosher deli's with hot cornbeef, pastrami, freshly made bagels, etc....
coney dogs
chinese food (still may find one in the area here)

What I don't miss:
Mexican Food -- Much better here! (although I know some don't agree)
tea--sweet tea here is really good

I miss the same...a local butcher with prime meat, italian sausage, roasts, not that I am a big red meat fan, but I miss it. I miss the quality meats, make a nice pot of homemade sauce with meatballs and sausages. Omgosh, my mouth is watering typing this...but my family in Long Island will ship anything like that I need... I also miss a good bakery, not a supermarket bakery a real italian bakery with breads, pastries, you name it... but the trade off of living here just for those few things is so worth it. I even called my local butcher back in Long Island to find out if he would ship out of state...he was laughing...so my family will send some stuff...

I tried Fresh Market off Falls of Neuse, meat isn't too bad, their bakery is decent. They have italian canoli's...not bad at all...so I will be fine...

Not complaining by any means, just think it's funny when you get that craving you're like uh oh...where do I go...but learning the area, so I am bound to find these things again...

Old 04-04-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybunch View Post
[font="Comic Sans MS"]I guess I have to stock up on Fluff for my move.....

What about cookies in NC? Can you find the Rainbow cookies or black&whites (moon) cookies or rugula? [/FO NT]
omgosh...Rainbow cookies, my mouth is watering...hahaha I LOVE those...bakery back home (Long Island) they were to die for...I will keep my eye open...how I am not overweight, I will never know...hahaha

Old 04-04-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Okay, without everyone jumping on me... what in the heck is fluff???? Ring-ding??? I bet a ring ding is like a ding dong??? I still cannot even guess what fluff is. Cotton candy???
yes, Drakes makes Ring Dings, Hostess makes Ding Dongs, I like Drakes Ring Dings better...I really miss Funny Bones, they are chocolate covered cakes with peanut butter in the middle...yummy...I haven't seen Drakes line of products down here...I saw a few Hostess Products...I was surprised to see Entenmann's down here, Long Island based, I grew up with Entenmann's...family has a beautiful ranch out on eastern long island...

Old 04-04-2007, 04:20 PM

586 posts, read 1,546,271 times
What fond memories, thanks for the reminders. I miss clam fritters, new york pizza that you can fold and eat, and the greasy grinders that my grandpa used to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary