Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 04:46 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times

Advertisements

For those curious about Fluff, Walmart supercenters have it. I think though, that it may be stocked with the regular marshmallows, rather than with the peanut butter and jelly, like it is up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 05:45 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,517 times
Good corned beef doesn't seem to exist here, but that is a once every 8-12 weeks indulgence.

Ditto to the poster on Italian delis/bakeries. I miss the dried sausage our local deli used to make instore.

Pierogies. Real, fresh, hand-made, pierogies.

Brooklyn Boys pizzeria on Maynard (near High House) in Cary is some of the best pizza I've had anywhere in the world. That was a pleasant surprise! And o the BBQ here is the best! Give a little, take a little.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:53 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,637 times
I don't like pork. Is there anywhere that makes a good beef BBQ?

Old 04-04-2007, 05:57 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
I'd bet that if Drakes knew how many of their loyal customers have moved to NC, they'd seriously consider expanding their market to follow them.

Years ago, I did that with a coffee company -- we moved from the midwest to CT, and I couldn't find this brand of coffee anywhere. I wrote to them and they not only told me a couple of small shops that carried it, they sent me a box full of their coffee as a thank you. Cool. By the time we were done with that coffee, they had their brand on major stores shelves in our city.

All most companies need to know is that there is a demand for their products in a given area and they will look at the feasibility of tapping that market.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:21 PM

225 posts, read 954,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
Pierogies. Real, fresh, hand-made, pierogies.

LOL....I just made 170 pierogies yesterday (100 cheese/70 meat)....flour from one end of my kitchen to the other!!! They are a holiday tradition in my husbands family. I haven't made them in years, now I remember why!! Oh, my gosh, too much work.

I've already given away 1/2 of them, forgot how much the recipe made....

Old 04-04-2007, 06:25 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
jgmarie, you're torturing me over here! Those sound soooooo good!

I can confirm that marshmallow fluff can be found in NC. It is the Kraft variety that comes in a jar. Is that okay?

Old 04-04-2007, 06:30 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
I don't like pork. Is there anywhere that makes a good beef BBQ?
I am sure you can find it somewhere...but it's sacraledge in NC to be honest....Eastern or Western style.

Not sure if it's still the same, but for many years there were more pigs in NC then people.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:11 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I miss the same...a local butcher with prime meat, italian sausage, roasts, not that I am a big red meat fan, but I miss it. I miss the quality meats, make a nice pot of homemade sauce with meatballs and sausages. Omgosh, my mouth is watering typing this...but my family in Long Island will ship anything like that I need... I also miss a good bakery, not a supermarket bakery a real italian bakery with breads, pastries, you name it... but the trade off of living here just for those few things is so worth it. I even called my local butcher back in Long Island to find out if he would ship out of state...he was laughing...so my family will send some stuff...

I tried Fresh Market off Falls of Neuse, meat isn't too bad, their bakery is decent. They have italian canoli's...not bad at all...so I will be fine...

Not complaining by any means, just think it's funny when you get that craving you're like uh oh...where do I go...but learning the area, so I am bound to find these things again...
Go to DaVinci's on Rogers Road, outside Heritage, in Wake Forest. It's all there, meat-wise, plus freshly baked bread.
Rainbow cookies? No.
Black & White... yes!

BTW, also got some good andoille sausage for my jambalaya there last week.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:36 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Go to DaVinci's on Rogers Road, outside Heritage, in Wake Forest. It's all there, meat-wise, plus freshly baked bread.
Rainbow cookies? No.
Black & White... yes!

BTW, also got some good andoille sausage for my jambalaya there last week.

Thank you, I will give them a try.
Thanks again

Old 04-04-2007, 09:29 PM

579 posts, read 2,863,552 times
Hard rolls. Good, authentic NY deli hard rolls. That's all I really miss here because I have found:

Cinelli's has really good close to home casual style Italian food.
Yes, Brooklyn boys has great pizza but I think J & S in Apex in the BEST in the area.
If you want a decent Canoli, you just go over to Capri Flavors in Morrisville and buy the stuff to make your own. It's not that hard to stuff a canoli, apparently.

Ok, maybe I do miss Devil Dogs now that someone mentioned them. My Grandma always used to have those at her house. Brings back great memories! Can't we order some online somewhere?

Edit: oh yes we can! http://www.hometown-treats.com/products/devil_dogs.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary