Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:44 PM

22 posts, read 64,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
I would rather have a big black snake in the back yard then a bunch of mice or rats in my house.
I would too. Unfortunately I have both.

We have a mice off and on now. Started about 3 years after we bought the house. It's a concrete slab house though, with a pretty "natural" yard. It's quite small, but we've seen all kinds of animals outside - snakes, turtles, mice, opossum, lizards, and some sort of guinea pig looking things. Still not sure how the snake got inside. The same way the mice do... if I only knew how that was.

I spend a lot of time in the woods and still very rarely see snakes. Certainly not enough to keep you out of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 08:22 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
> Keep these posts up! We may prevent the northern invasion of our state

You're too funny! it's too late for that.

But as for snakes, when I was househunting here a year ago, I picked up the Observer with a front page story about snakes moving into Raleigh neighborhoods. Anyone remember that story? (I don't care for snakes, but I still moved)

Old 04-04-2007, 08:53 PM

95 posts, read 286,681 times
For the past two years I have taken a genealogy trip to western NC. Both times I went tramping through fields and woods looking for old graves on family land. Once in March, once in April. I had been warned by my "guide" (distant cousin) that there may be snakes. I don't know why, but for some reason I wasn't even afraid. And I am usually TERRIFIED of snakes. I figured if the locals would do it and they know what is around, I could do the same. Never saw one serpent. Did see some deer on the side of a mountain as we were walking down to the river. I think for the most part the snakes will get out of your way. I do know if I do the genealogy thing again, I will wear boots.

I know I will probably see snakes at some point while living in NC. I am hoping I can be BRAVE and handle it. My step-grandmother moved to TN from CA several years ago and picked up a snake while doing yard work. She moved back to CA the next month. I can't and won't do that, but they may hear me SCREAM in CA!

Old 04-04-2007, 10:02 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
When I first started walking towards him he headed for the woods quick but then stopped so I could snap a couple pics. I would rather have a big black snake in the back yard then a bunch of mice or rats in my house.
Ok, why did you have a camera in your hand and not an ax or some type of implement to take care of this booger!!!??? I grew up in NC and remember twice when my sister and I left the back door open and a snake slitered in the family room. I was never able to get the distance on a long jump like I got that day!!! Also, remember as a child almost stepping on snakes numerous times as a child.

AND I will never forget the size of the huge rattle snake my dad killed w/ his tractor while I was visiting them w/ my then 2 year old son... who happened to be playing very near where the snake was killed. My mom said she has never seen my face so drained of blood.

I don't necessarily want snakes killed... I just want them all sent to another planet!

If you dont want mice or rats get a CAT!! They won't kill your kids and they are cuddly.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:35 PM

56 posts, read 414,416 times
Aren't there any long-time local folks on here who frequent this form? or any other people that know about snakes?. I did not see one post that talked about how beneficial the black snake (King snake) is. If you have a black snake(s) on your property THIS IS A GOOD THING. They keep the(eat)poisonous snakes away, not to mention keeping the rats and mice away. Yes, I know its a slippery snake. But would you want to have a yard full of poisonous copper heads around?. If you don't bother them they won't bother you. I've heard you can make them into good yard pets. In fact my grandmother was raking the yard one day and she noticed one following her around, he stayed about 10' or so from her but when she went to a different part of the yard he'd move to. When she got done raking she picked him up with the rake and placed him across the street hoping he'd go into the woods. He didn't, instead he got hit coming back across the road . Back 30 years ago my granddad let one of his Friends release two black snakes on his property hoping they would get rid of all the copperheads around there. We haven't seen a copper head snake in 30 years now. So please think twice before you go to kill that black snake, you may kill something that may actually SAVE your life one day. As we all know copperhead bites will make you sick and can cause death in certain cases.

Moderator cut: signature removed

Last edited by autumngal; 06-22-2008 at 05:09 PM..

Old 04-04-2007, 10:40 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckerFagen View Post
Aren't there any long-time local folks on here who frequent this form?
I don't know about snakes...but I think the panic we well over blown by some. Snakes are not evil critters, they aren't all harmful (as you nicely point out)....and they just aren't on every street corner.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:42 PM

56 posts, read 414,416 times
Quote:
Keep these posts up! We may prevent the northern invasion of our state!
We got invaded starting some 15 years ago and I don't think it's gonna slow up anytime soon.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:04 AM

55 posts, read 211,117 times
Default snakes

Wake county has no coral, rattle or cottonmouths. It has been almost 30 years since we had a documented cottonmouth sighting. Rattlers are in the western and southeastern part of the old north state. I am 41 and have lived here my whole life and have only seen two snakes since 1966. One copperhead and one northern water snake. We called them yankee snakes.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:56 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,532 times
Default reason thread started

As much as some might like it I did not start this thread to keep the northeners from moving here, lol! But I guess it could,

I just wanted to mention I saw my first snake and if peeps are outdoorsy as much as I am that the snakes are now active.

And do I not get any credit for mentioning in an earlier post on this thread that the black snakes eat the copperheads, hmmph! lol.

* just for the record, I am the one practically crashing my car off the road to avoid a snake that is trying to cross a road or sunbathing in it. BUT!!! This does not mean I have to like them in anyway.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:16 AM

122 posts, read 458,400 times
Sooo, when do these little buggers actually go "away"....if you're just now seeing them for the season? I'm looking into hypnotherapy...I really don't want to ruin this potential move because of my phobia of snakes! Anyone else have ideas as to how to get over this fear? No, don't tell me not to move down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary