Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:27 AM

130 posts, read 390,584 times

Advertisements

I'd like to have a pro put a pro finish on my two car garage floor. Anyone have any idea who might do this right and what it costs? I'm not interested in someone that does not prep it right before application. The guy at the local oil change place showed me what he got when it was not done right the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 31,542 times
Hi,

your post caught my eye because I work in the coatings industry here in Raleigh. If you are looking for epoxy or stain work, I can recommend several contractors who do this type of work. You should expect to pay 4-6 dollars a square foot depending on the type of floor finish you want. Surface prep is so important on a floor project, make sure that it's done properly by the installer. If you have any questions, let me know, I would be glad to help.

Ron

Old 06-27-2009, 03:16 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
I recommend installing Race Deck tile. You can do it yourself for roughly the same price as correctly applying epoxy, and take it with you when you move. I have a nice checkerboard of gray and black to match my gray/black cabinetry. Looks amazing! Impervious to fluids, no "tire burn", and always gets a compliment

Old 06-27-2009, 06:10 PM

122 posts, read 441,730 times
I asked about it at an actual paint store, and he said no matter what, it often comes off because tires are usually warm when you pull in your garage, so it loosens it...anyway, he talked me out of doing it at all.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:50 PM

39 posts, read 194,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I recommend installing Race Deck tile. You can do it yourself for roughly the same price as correctly applying epoxy, and take it with you when you move. I have a nice checkerboard of gray and black to match my gray/black cabinetry. Looks amazing! Impervious to fluids, no "tire burn", and always gets a compliment
Sacredgrooves, I was thinking about doing something similar. Do you have any pictures of your setup that you'd be willing to share?

Old 06-27-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedlus4 View Post
Sacredgrooves, I was thinking about doing something similar. Do you have any pictures of your setup that you'd be willing to share?
Here is exactly what I have. It is a knock-off of "race deck" for about 60% of the price.

Garage Floor Covering, Diamond Garage Floor Tile, Diamond Garage Flooring Tile – J (http://www.jnkproducts.com/garage-floor-tile-diamond.htm - broken link)

They have other patterns as well, but mine is diamond plate. Now I just need another classic muscle car to complete the garage lol. (don't tell the wife!)

Old 06-27-2009, 10:30 PM

PS - The tile installation was cake. A buddy and I laid it out in less than two hours in a 22'x23' garage. It just snaps together. I have had it in place for over a year now with zero problems. It cleans up quite easily with a hose/water and push-broom. The best way I found to install it was to create one continuous horizontal row then attach the next horizontal row using 2 people....one lines it up down the line, the other comes behind snapping it fully into place. Once we found our rhythm it was very quick.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:10 PM

39 posts, read 194,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Here is exactly what I have. It is a knock-off of "race deck" for about 60% of the price.

Garage Floor Covering, Diamond Garage Floor Tile, Diamond Garage Flooring Tile – J (http://www.jnkproducts.com/garage-floor-tile-diamond.htm - broken link)

They have other patterns as well, but mine is diamond plate. Now I just need another classic muscle car to complete the garage lol. (don't tell the wife!)

Nice! Thanks for the link. That flooring would look great under my 69 Camaro SS/RS........oh wait, I keep forgetting that my 69 Camaro is actually a 98 Tacoma. Maybe one day!

Old 06-28-2009, 05:08 PM

214 posts, read 695,002 times
I put down the epoxy stuff you get at lowes-comes in a box with two cans. You will need two or three boxes. Buy 3 and you can return any you dont really need. First you put down some muriatic acid mixed with water and scrub the concrete clean. Let it dry very thoroughly before you put down the epoxy. It will soak into the concrete after a few minutes so just as its starting to dry go over it all with a second coat. You can put down the paint chips now if you want. All in all, its very easy, cheap, looks good and the tires don't pull it up. The down side is that it is very slippery when its wet.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:41 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnr4411 View Post
I asked about it at an actual paint store, and he said no matter what, it often comes off because tires are usually warm when you pull in your garage, so it loosens it...anyway, he talked me out of doing it at all.
Bingo but you can touch it up. But the warm tires especially when it is still fairly new can be a problem. However remember it is a garage floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary