Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2007, 03:08 PM

12 posts, read 24,095 times

Advertisements

ok, here goes...

where: hubby and i live near wheeling, west virginia, looking to move to nc (non-job reasons). we've looked at charlotte briefly and while there's affordable housing, general gut reaction is too much subdivision and suburban shopping. we're more comfortable with chicago and pittsburgh style city neighborhoods. end of april, we're visiting my charlotte friend again plus raleigh-durham for the first time. i know r-d has subdivision and shopping, too (just like any larger city) but based on postings in forum, it looks like durham is more like our style in culture wants (and in affordability than raleigh). although it's not on the same scale as chicago or the burgh, of course.

house: a simple 2 bedroom is fine (we have no children). nothing fancy, but would love something with a little character. not into cookie-cutter or subdivision, but are realizing it may be all we can afford. not really interested in condos or lofts. would rather be near coffee shops, pubs, funky shops, walkable neighborhood stuff, historical areas, dives to see bands. we like to walk. prefer public transit. old houses are fine with some renovation required but no money currently for any large-scale all-house endeavors.

the clincher: we're feeling right now (without knowing what i could earn yet), we could handle up to a 150k home. we're in trouble, aren't we?

who we are:
me: late 30s, work in publishing field, editing, copyediting/copywriting, graphic design, working on web degree, could also be a trainer (used to be a teacher)

hubby: late 40s, self-employed, around 32k income, makes custom electric guitars nationally and internationally so does not rely on a local economy for success of business, needs a shop sized around 1000 sq ft, ideal if shop could be located on property, customers come from internet so no retail store, no customers parking at house, no suppliers going in and out of shop, might make a little noise to test guitars (during business hours) and some exhaust from painting but not heavy chemical exhaust or major toxic fumes.

with all this in mind, to the questions...

1) based on our 150k estimate, can we afford housing in durham (or elsewhere in triangle?) - without getting too cookie-cutter? if so, based on our other ideals, where should we look? i've seen suggestions for Watts-Hillandale, Old West, Old North, Trinity Park, but I have a feeling they're too expensive?

2) do you have basements because charlotte doesn't seem to have many in homes? we currently live in an 1100 sq ft house but have a basement for storage. w/o a basement, we may need more footage/another bedroom.

3) do any of you know what i mean by garage apartments - on a property usually detached from house? are there any in your area? there are many here (although they've banned new construction of them) and would make an ideal on-property shop for hubby. regardless, are there neighborhoods where a small shop is allowed on home property or is that sort of zoning really rare?

4) if hubby couldn't have shop on property, is leasing commercial space in durham a feasible option or is it scarce and expensive? keep in mind it would not be for retail and only needs about 1000 sq. ft.

5) anyone know about the publishing industry in the triangle? i really can't find anything in this forum. on job search sites, it seems durham has some opportunity.

any, and i mean ANY advice or comments on any one or a few of the questions are appreciated. we're clueless right now. but this forum seems to be a good start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 03:31 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,678,079 times
I think you may be able to find what you need in the downtown area, you may just need to be patient and willing to put a little work into the home. You could definately find something along what you're looking for home wise in the Northern Durham section, but it wouldn't be within walking distance of what you want.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:08 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,898,889 times
Hi Lookinggirl,

Sounds like Durham could be up your alley for what you're describing! Some thoughts:

There are plenty of cottage, Cape Cod, etc. style homes in Durham's downtown/urban neighborhoods that fit the description. Many, like ours, have basements -- not always (though sometimes) finished basements, but at least 'damp' basements suitable for storage on shelving units, etc.

$150k prices you out of Watts-Hillandale and Forest Hills. But, Northgate Park and Duke Park are real possibilities. Northgate Park is on the N-S Greenway in Durham; Duke Park has an awesome public park that draws hundreds of kids on weekends and lots of adult walkers, tennis players, etc. Duke Park has a ton of artists and creatives -- heck, for a good example, see http://www.singintomymouth.com/blog/...ic_circle.html. You may also find some homes in parts of Trinity Park at that range.

There are garage apts. and new ones are actually being constructed -- it's seen as good in-fill/dense urban living. Plenty of options for the kind of commercial rentals you're talking about, too... the warehouse district north of downtown near the historic Durham Athletic Park might be one good place to look.

Don't know about the zoning question... a Google search for the "Unified Development Ordinance" in Durham might help answer.

Let me know if you have more questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary