Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:52 PM

130 posts, read 390,584 times

Advertisements

So the general consensus is that it is not safe for a woman to exercise alone anywhere in Wake Co.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 PM

214 posts, read 1,001,891 times
I used to run after dark in Cary in Preston and never had a problem, but I also never wore headphones and had my dog with me. No matter where you live you should always be aware of your surroundings and take precautions.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:19 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
Up in Seattle, we had a case where a rapist would sit in the bushes along the bike trail and used a string when a woman would pass by. He would yank the string up causing the female rider or jogger to crash and fall. He leaped out of the bushes and would rape and assault. It happened in an affluent area of town, right behind some higher end homes. Very scary stuff. He got several women before they caught him. You can never bee too safe, anywhere.

The criminals do come into Cary to make their rounds. Usually this involves non violent crimes like breakin in cars, garages, etc. But I would think a woman going for a jog by herself in Cary, in a dark, area, out of the way, could be at risk. If you go for a jog through your neighborhood, where there are street lights and houses everywhere it is probably fine, but going down some trail, or side road, would be dangerous in my opinion.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:10 AM

190 posts, read 1,075,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BZee2Pee View Post
So the general consensus is that it is not safe for a woman to exercise alone anywhere in Wake Co.?

How did we go from, "Is it safe to go for a run after dark in Cary" to "So the general consensus is that it is not safe for a woman to exercise alone anywhere in Wake Co.".... I just don't get it, and I am an educated person.... It is probably NOT a good idea to go for a run after dark anywhere, crime can happen anywhere. I am not entirely sure if the OP was really asking a question, or wanting to stir the pot.... Cary is considered very safe, but I still wouldn't advise my 21 year old daughter to walk around at night... Peace!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 AM

460 posts, read 1,273,829 times
Don't feed the troll!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:37 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
Don't feed the troll!
Which one?

Old 05-06-2009, 08:04 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
1. I don't recommend anyone going for a run after dark anywhere, if they can help it. That said, Cary is a safe place as long as you use common sense.

2. The Cooper case is one of domestic violence/murder, not a case of a runner who was killed outside the home by a random attacker, during a run. (check to see who was arrested for the crime and will be going on trial).

Old 05-06-2009, 08:22 AM

40 posts, read 121,253 times
It is as safe as any suburban US city with similar crime statistics.

Maybe you can be more specific about what you mean by "safe" - traffic ? muggers ? being tempted running by a Goodberry's ? getting bit by a feral squirrel ? accidentally twisting your ankle on a sidewalk ?

I think the chances of you dying of heart disease are a lot higher than being killed by a mugger. My personal opinion.

Get out and exercise, use some common sense, have fun.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:22 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronnc View Post
It is as safe as any suburban US city with similar crime statistics.

Maybe you can be more specific about what you mean by "safe" - traffic ? muggers ? being tempted running by a Goodberry's ? getting bit by a feral squirrel ? accidentally twisting your ankle on a sidewalk ?

I think the chances of you dying of heart disease are a lot higher than being killed by a mugger. My personal opinion.

Get out and exercise, use some common sense, have fun.
Very true, but one should still take precautions. It's all relevent to where you go jogging. Through a neighborhood is likely fine, down some back woods trail or side road is highly dangerous at night anywhere.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:10 PM

130 posts, read 390,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
1. I don't recommend anyone going for a run after dark anywhere, if they can help it. That said, Cary is a safe place as long as you use common sense.
Do you mean pack a gun?
2. The Cooper case is one of domestic violence/murder, not a case of a runner who was killed outside the home by a random attacker, during a run. (check to see who was arrested for the crime and will be going on trial).
Has someone been convicted of the crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary