Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:41 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
The thing about the dog parks in the area, including Wake Forest's that people should note is that you are going to find smaller dogs in the large dog area. This is allowed. (We've had some people from other areas of the country become upset .)

This is for a varitiy of reasons....some people have more then one dog....a large and a small. Also, some small dogs prefer playing with larger dogs. (Such as mine, he is only 16 pounds but most small dogs just are too hyper for him.)

The smaller areas at most (certainly Wake Forest's and Oakwoods) just don't have as many dogs there anyway. It turns out in reality, that the sides sort themselves more by 'temperment' then simply just size.
Some big dogs (mine included) regard small dogs as "prey" - regardless of temperament. I guess it's a good thing I don't take them to local dog parks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 09:43 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Some big dogs (mine included) regard small dogs as "prey" - regardless of temperament. I guess it's a good thing I don't take them to local dog parks!
That's actually a little scary.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:01 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's just part of their heredity - thousands of years of breeding for a specific purpose. I would never take them to a dog park where there were small dogs running around. Many greyhounds are small animal (even rabbit!) safe, but mine are not. Since I don't have small animals, I offer a home to the higher prey drive ones that can be more difficult to place. What's really scary for me, however, is off leash dogs. Every time I go down to Bond Park I run into people who are letting their dogs run around freely - even though there is a leash law. And these dogs do NOT come when called! For that reason I rarely take my dogs there, which is a shame!

Anyhow, I just posted because of the comment about dogs being sorted out by temperament and not size in a dog park. That was not my experience at dog parks back in Virginia so while Zoya may "roll his/her eyes" at owners who expect it be that way here - there are very valid reasons why small & large dog areas exist!

edit: It's not just normally high prey dogs that can injure a smaller dog:

Quote:
Segregating Large and Small Dogs to Prevent Predatory Drift: Modern dog parks usually have separate play spaces for large and small dogs to protect small dogs from rough play with bigger dogs.[53] Separating the big from the small prevents"predatory drift, a situation in which dogs who are not normally predatory enter prey (attack) mode.[54] Even highly socialized dogs can "drift" into a predatory attack mode, particularly when smaller dogs appear injured or yelp during off-leash exercises. When a dog enters a "predatory drift" mode, it attempts to kill the smaller dog that triggers the event.[55]
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_park.

Last edited by adlnc07; 05-10-2009 at 10:15 AM..

Old 05-10-2009, 02:40 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
If your dog regards any creature as prey, they don't belong in a dog park in the first place.

We have variety of dog sizes sharing one area....it shouldn't be a problem with well socialized dogs and responsible owners.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It is. Thankfully the Oakwood and Wake Forest dog parks don't attract that sort of dog owner. I don't know about Milbrook anymore...haven't been there in about two years.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:17 PM

47 posts, read 160,004 times
Quote:
Thankfully the Oakwood and Wake Forest dog parks don't attract that sort of dog owner.
Having a high prey driven dog has absolutely no reflection on the type of owner... especially if that owner is taking in rescue dogs who don't do well with small dogs, cats, etc. I do not have prey driven dogs but felt the implication of that last post was a bit uncalled for.

Back on topic... I like Wake Forest a lot but I would disagree that it is a quick drive to everything. I consider the airport, RTP and downtown Raleigh essential locations in the Raleigh area and Wake Forest is a pretty far from all three. Also, traffic going up US1 in the afternoon is always bad.. even hours before rush hour begins. That said, downtown is lovely

Edit: Best way to avoid being scammed is to plan a weekend visit to see properties you are interested in. Schedule appointments all day Saturday, fly in Friday, fly out Sunday and that will give you the opportunity to meet your landlord in person, see the property for what it really is (not just the best pics and description found in the ad), and to sign the lease in person/ get a copy of it. If you have reservations, ask to speak to another renter.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trianglepet View Post
Having a high prey driven dog has absolutely no reflection on the type of owner... especially if that owner is taking in rescue dogs who don't do well with small dogs, cats, etc. I do not have prey driven dogs but felt the implication of that last post was a bit uncalled for.

Back on topic... I like Wake Forest a lot but I would disagree that it is a quick drive to everything. I consider the airport, RTP and downtown Raleigh essential locations in the Raleigh area and Wake Forest is a pretty far from all three. Also, traffic going up US1 in the afternoon is always bad.. even hours before rush hour begins. That said, downtown is lovely

Edit: Best way to avoid being scammed is to plan a weekend visit to see properties you are interested in. Schedule appointments all day Saturday, fly in Friday, fly out Sunday and that will give you the opportunity to meet your landlord in person, see the property for what it really is (not just the best pics and description found in the ad), and to sign the lease in person/ get a copy of it. If you have reservations, ask to speak to another renter.
It's no indication of the owner in general....but if that owner brings such a dog that they can't control into a dog park...then it certainly is a problem and a very nasty indication of them, which is what this thread is about.

I don't find it far away...I work in RTP, my daughter goes to school downtown and we are at the airport every couple of weeks. I guess it's a matter of perspective. The only time I hate Capital is coming back at 5pm, but I can normally avoid that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary