Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,231 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating from the Central Valley of California to Raleigh in July. We have never been there and need some advice. We are in our mid- late 30's, love restaurants, wine and local music.

We are looking for a single family house or townhouse to rent up to $1100, but we have 2 dogs.

Do you think we are going to have an issue because of the dogs and the fact that we need to handle everything over the phone?!

Anyone know of a property management company that can help people relocating and looking to rent?

We want to be in a safe area- have heard North east is best. Want a happy medium between city life and suburbia.

We just need any guidance possible on areas to start the search. appreciate any advice and any particular street names or landmarks I can start searching around.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 11:31 AM

47 posts, read 159,934 times
As long as your dogs aren't "dangerous" breeds, you should be able to find a rental. I personally don't think any specific breed is dangerous but that doesn't stop rental companies from making a list of ones they restrict. I prefer NW Raleigh (Brier Creek / Leesville area) to NE. I find it easier to get where I need to go and less traffic to deal with in the afternoons. I would also say overall, NW neighborhoods are consistently safe where NE will vary quite a bit. I would suggest subscribing to the News & Observer so you can look for rentals listed in the classifieds. I can't seem to find rentals on their website except apartments Also, lots of rentals get posted on craigslist. When I was renting, I had a small resume for my pets and references from previous landlords. This may or may not help but it definitely won't hurt!

Pet Resume -

Sex (neutered?)
Commands known / formal training
crate trained
house broken

Most landlords are hesitant to rent to pets because people who are irresponsbile cause lots of damage. If you can show you aren't one of those people, it will go a long way to negotiating. Also, be prepared to pay extra "pet" rent, an extra pet deposit, and/or a non refundable pet fee. It sucks but totally legal and most landlords will charge at least one of them, some will charge all.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:49 PM

17 posts, read 42,477 times
We just relocated to the Brier Creek area from NJ. We rented a beautiful two bedroom, 3 1/2 bath townhouse with a full finished basement for $1,070/month (we negotiated the rent). We have a small, well-behaved dog and paid an extra, non-refundable "pet fee" of $250.

We used three different realtors before we found one that was showing us properties we liked. PM me if you are interested in her information.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:07 PM

331 posts, read 1,310,887 times
We moved here from Northern California with 2 german shepherds. We rented a house off CraigsList. Our landlord just wanted to make sure they wouldnt tear up the place. No problem, we didnt even have to pay an extra pet deposit.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:30 AM

621 posts, read 2,217,901 times
It's proven that kids cause more damage than pets, yet there is no such thing as a "kid fee". It's obviously against the law to discriminate against parents though... But as a landlord, I can't argue against the opportunity to make more money from the tenant.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:28 AM

16 posts, read 32,937 times
I have a question, I am relocating soon 2 with my husband and our med. size dog, she is very well behaved but has been trained to protect due to the fact that we live in vegas and she actually stopped a home invasion while I was home alone, she is a pit bull but very loveable and sweet, good with kids and crate trained. We have never had a problem, but were very responsible pet owners, my question is that we also were looking to rent from Craigslist, but with all the scams, How or what do yo think the best advice would be to make sure we are sending money the the owner of the home and not some scammer? is there a way to have them prove it?
hope you can help

Old 05-09-2009, 07:41 AM

331 posts, read 1,310,887 times
From my past experience, I was never able to talk on the phone with most of the scammers. I talked with my landlord several times on the phone before sending him money. I did run into a lot of scammers when looking for my house on CraigsList. My husband started looking on Google Map and found that some addresses had no house at all, just an empty lot! Ask a lot of questions about the neighborhood and dont be afraid to ask your potential landlord some personal questions such as how long he has lived in the area, what does he like, does he live close to the rental. And use your common sense.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:28 AM

206 posts, read 596,655 times
One way to avoid the long distance scamming would be to employ the services of a real estate agent to represent you.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:24 AM

26 posts, read 56,412 times
Seems like lots of local real estate agents also own rental homes. I love Wake Forest - Flaherty Park has a dog park - one for big and one for small. Small downtown and quick drive to everything. Lots of different types of houses - historic, 70s, 80s and brand new. Friendly community with free concerts and activities. Parks and Rec depart. is great considering size of town. It's not full of strip malls and craziness, but seems to be headed that way.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:16 AM

646 posts, read 2,049,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdypearls View Post
Seems like lots of local real estate agents also own rental homes. I love Wake Forest - Flaherty Park has a dog park - one for big and one for small. Small downtown and quick drive to everything. Lots of different types of houses - historic, 70s, 80s and brand new. Friendly community with free concerts and activities. Parks and Rec depart. is great considering size of town. It's not full of strip malls and craziness, but seems to be headed that way.
The thing about the dog parks in the area, including Wake Forest's that people should note is that you are going to find smaller dogs in the large dog area. This is allowed. (We've had some people from other areas of the country become upset .)

This is for a varitiy of reasons....some people have more then one dog....a large and a small. Also, some small dogs prefer playing with larger dogs. (Such as mine, he is only 16 pounds but most small dogs just are too hyper for him.)

The smaller areas at most (certainly Wake Forest's and Oakwoods) just don't have as many dogs there anyway. It turns out in reality, that the sides sort themselves more by 'temperment' then simply just size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary