U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:21 PM

163 posts, read 970,415 times

Advertisements

Since OP said money is tight: Spray it yourself!
I sprayed my 2-story, twice around in 3 hours (including the 45min lunch break in bt coats), changed it from blue to white. Used Behr, 2 5gal. buckets and had 1.5 gallons left over. Rented a sprayer ($75) which attached to the 5gal bucket and long hose, and rented a long ladder. Started spraying on the side I rarely see, surprised how easy it applied evenly. Aim up 15*.
Did the trim during following weekend. That was 9 years ago (3 months bc). Need to repaint an area which required hand brushing.

The most important and time consuming steps are prep and cleanup, more prep = less cleanup.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,123 times
I've painted lots of homes w/ Hardie plank siding...always sprayed two coats. As long as you make sure it is mold & mildew free, caulked well, & preped right, two coats of a premium paint will last you longer than the original paint job. I prefer Pratt & Lambert paints, or maybe a high quality Benjamin Moore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary