Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 01:04 PM

34 posts, read 84,772 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We're in the market for a Realtor, so if anyone knows of someone that might be a good fit for us, could you please PM me? Or if you could recommend a sub-division that might be a good fit, that would be helpful too.

Here's a bit about us:
Mid-30's couple, no kids.
He'll be working at the Research Triangle Park
I'm hoping to eventually work at the VA Hospital as a clinical psychologist
We may have kids in the near future, so school system is important to us.
We're thinking right now either Cary or Durham.
Amenities are important--esp. outdoor activities.
500,000-600,000 price range.
Moving to the area in July.

Okay, fire away at me--and thanks ahead of time, this is a great forum!

Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 01:09 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
A few more questions that may help clarify:

Are you looking for new construction or is resale an option?

If resale, is age of house a consideration?

How big/small of a house would suit your needs?

How big of a yard are you looking for?

Old 05-07-2009, 01:13 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30flygirl View Post
Hello,

We're in the market for a Realtor, so if anyone knows of someone that might be a good fit for us, could you please PM me? Or if you could recommend a sub-division that might be a good fit, that would be helpful too.

Here's a bit about us:
Mid-30's couple, no kids.
He'll be working at the Research Triangle Park
I'm hoping to eventually work at the VA Hospital as a clinical psychologist
We may have kids in the near future, so school system is important to us.
We're thinking right now either Cary or Durham.
Amenities are important--esp. outdoor activities.
500,000-600,000 price range.
Moving to the area in July.

Okay, fire away at me--and thanks ahead of time, this is a great forum!

Julie
Hilliard Forest
Cary Park
Cameron Pond
Highcroft and Highcroft Village
Peninsula at Amberly
All NW Cary, although the Peninsula is in Chatham County.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:13 PM

34 posts, read 84,772 times
Great thanks for the good questions:

Either new construction or a house no older than 5-6 years old.

At least 3,000 square feet.

At least .25 acres

2 car garage, but 3 would be better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
A few more questions that may help clarify:

Are you looking for new construction or is resale an option?

If resale, is age of house a consideration?

How big/small of a house would suit your needs?

How big of a yard are you looking for?

Old 05-07-2009, 01:51 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
There are many nice areas throughout the Triangle that will meet your needs. With respect to your interest in good schools, I would include Chapel Hill in your list, and probably scratch Durham (although some there are much better than others).

Old 05-07-2009, 08:40 PM

232 posts, read 1,031,000 times
Excellent options in West Cary in your price range-
Weycroft, Hortons Creek, Stonewater Terrazo, Cary Park, Cameroon Pond, Amberly, GreyStone, Harmony Reserve, Highcroft

500k-600k - check
3000sqft - check,
3 car garage - check
new contruction - check
.25 + acre lot in West Cary - hard to find but certainly doable in your price range. Of all the above options that I have listed, probably the best options for larger lot would be Harmony Reserve. Obviously this is just my opinion. :-)

Old 05-07-2009, 08:48 PM

29 posts, read 88,924 times
Weldon Ridge Estates has bigger lots

Old 05-08-2009, 07:39 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,345 times
Lightbulb SW Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
There are many nice areas throughout the Triangle that will meet your needs. With respect to your interest in good schools, I would include Chapel Hill in your list, and probably scratch Durham (although some there are much better than others).
I hate how people always hate on Durham. It really pisses me off actually! But your loss is our gain!

Please do not discount Durham. I lived in Cary for 7 years (2001 - 2007) and it is really not all it is cracked up to be. Don't get me wrong, Cary is a fine place to live and I would not rule it out if that is what you are looking for, I am just saying not to discount Durham.

My builder (Jim Garman of Garman Homes) recently asked me to write up something on why I loved Fairfield and SW Durham (27713). Here is what I wrote if anyone is interested:

Why do you love Fairfield?
#1 - Location, Location, Location! Less than 10 minutes to RTP, Less than 20 minutes to UNC – Chapel Hill, Less than 5 minutes to Southpoint Mall and shopping, the American Tobacco Trail right around the corner,

#2 - The Fairfield Pool - My wife and I looked for a neighborhood which had a community pool. This was a top criteria. The pool is wonderful, well maintained, and a perfect way to keep in touch with neighbors and the Fairfield community. Speaking of neighbors...

#3 - The Neighbors - Everyone in the neighborhood is so friendly. We have made some amazing friends and we have only lived here for alittle over a year. This is definitely a 'cup of sugar' community. (IOW a place where you can pop next door to borrow some sugar)

#4 - The Fairfield Community - We have a wonderful listserv where neighbors can post about what is going on in the Fairfield community or the Durham Community as a whole. If you need to borrow a tool or if you need anything, you can post to the listserv and people are more than willing to help. And to top it all off our HOA dues actually go to fun events. We have had wine tastings, october beer fests, carnivals, pot lucks at the pool, Mothers/Fathers day events.

#5 - Creekside Elementary - Another major reason we chose Fairfield was that it was in the Creedside Elementary School district. Although we do not have kids yet, we wanted to at least be in a location with a top notch elementary school. There has been alot of talk of new schools coming to the area, so hopefully when junior is ready, there will be many more options in the SW Durham area.

Just have an open mind and don't believe everything you read. That goes for my stuff too. Do your homework and look at everything. The Triangle has so much to offer!

Best of Luck on your search!
Matt
SW Durham Guy

Old 05-08-2009, 07:53 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Good for you...way to over-generalize and continue playing up rediculous sterotypes about an entire city/county. At least you acknowledged that some are better than others...on that point you are quite correct.

We've been in northern Durham almost a year now and absolutely love it. The schools in northern and SW Durham then to be quite good, while those in central/eastern often don't perform as well. That said, performance within most schools varies greatly based on socioeconomic status, etc..., much like it does at schools in Wake County and Chapel Hill.

In northern Durham, you might look at Treyburn, Eno Forest, River's Edge & Croasdaile Farms. The commute from these areas to RTP is quite reasonable as the Durham Freeway is not nearly as congested as the routes coming in from Cary/Apex/Raleigh/etc... Treyburn is a bit far out, so if your husband works in the southern part of RTP it might be a bit too far. It's about 20-25 minutes from Treyburn to northern RTP. All the other neighborhoods I mentioned are about 10-15 to northern RTP and just a few short miles from the VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary