Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:14 AM

226 posts, read 787,697 times

Advertisements

So the other night we walk into our kitchen and there are about 2 dozen of these little black ants with wings...they seem to be mostly near the ceiling close to a recessed light. Found some on the outside of cupboards (none of the cupboards had food in them). I checked the pantry, near the fridge, etc. to see if any where near food. None. So we kill those and the next night I find another group of them in the office on the other side of the house, near a lamp that was on. They are definitely not termites and they didn't seem to be doing too much flying considering they had wings. Any ideas what these little buggers are? And can I treat them myself without calling in an exterminator?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:19 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
maybe carpenter ants?
Carpenter Ants - ENT/rsc-14

Old 05-09-2009, 09:53 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
A few years ago, my husband had a bag of raw peanuts that someone had given him.

It sat on the pantry shelf for a few months.

One night, he decided he was going to cook some and when he opened the bad, there were these little insects that looked like what you are describing. YUCK! We threw the entire bag of peanuts away. He found out what they were but I can't remember!!!

Vicki

Old 05-09-2009, 02:37 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
Carpenter Ants

Here's a great link about Carpenter Ants.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:56 PM

I think they might indeed be carpenter ants. About 30 min ago I found a few around an electrical outlet in the main hallway. I removed the outlet cover and DOZENS of them came crawling out! Felt like I was in a Stephen King movie!! So husband is under the house right now trying to locate the "nest".

Old 05-10-2009, 05:55 PM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times
Termites?

Old 05-10-2009, 07:25 PM

100 posts, read 290,285 times
I mentioned this post to my husband who used to do pest control. He said without seeing them he can't say exactly what they are but that you should definitely get someone to come check them out b/c it sounds like you might have an infestation on your hands. Hopefully that's not the case, but better safe than sorry. I think Orkin does free inspections--you might call your local branch.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:09 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,721,431 times
I remember seeing the same thing at my house in VA when I was a teenager.

The OP mentioned seeing ants with wings; it's springtime and the ants are swarming. Though they're a nuisance now, they'll most likely be gone soon, or at least much less prominently visible.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 AM

Hubby went under the house yesterday...didn't find any nests or colonies but did see a conga-line of ants coming in from under the foundation, marching along the electrical lines, where they eventually came into the house from the electrical outlet in the wall. We found thier marching line outside and followed it to the grass in the front yard. We got some ant killer (label said that includes carpenter ants) so we covered the grass really well yesterday and all the way up to the foundation. No sign of any since. I hope that's the end of the story!

Old 05-11-2009, 01:13 PM

97 posts, read 209,943 times
Most likely is carpenter ants. Is this fixture near a door or window? If so possible rotting from water. We had this happen to us and found out our whole back bottom door was rotted. We fixed and replaced this and no more carpenter ants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary