Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:52 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times

Advertisements

There is a part of SE Chapel Hill that is very safe and more rural - its great because its close to CH, Durham, 40, etc, without being close to any crime areas in CH. South of Meadowmont on Barbee Chapel Rd there are some nice apartments (new and old) that are on a bus line into CH/Carrboro, are right across from shopping, and have easy access to roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:04 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
I think this whole thread is getting silly pointing out specific "safe areas." To the OP, Chapel Hill and Carrboro are safe. Go visit, you won't be worried any more. It's a town full of families with small children, undergrad students, grad students, professors, more professionals than you can shake a stick at. It's a lovely safe town many many choose to raise their family or retire to. And many of those who choose it could afford to choose anywhere they want.

I know several very wealthy families who live there and b/c of the husband's work, could have lived anywhere in the entire U.S. Now I"ll admit I would not choose anywhere in NC if I had the country to choose from, but that's b/c I prefer the West. Go visit. You'll think you were silly for asking once you get a sense of it, and you'll think some of these responses are even sillier!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:13 AM

Parts of W Rosemary and the neighborhood to the north are not what I'd consider safe. There's also some low income housing that's seedy in Carrboro. Rather than look for safe spots though, its probably better to point out the few less-safe spots, since by and large CH/Carrboro is very safe.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:18 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
It isn't L.A., but it isn't a place where I would feel comfortable either.
That pretty much leaves out 95% of the area.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:31 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot more crime happening in Chapel Hill.
Without facts to substantiate this statement, I would not give it much weight.

Quote:
IMO, Chapel Hill is really going downhill. They can't even hold the celebratory events they used to, because of all the crime.
I believe the reference may be to the cancellation of the Apple Chill street fair in 2006, after a shooting during that year's festival and due to a trend in which participants from outside the area - primarily bikers - had become more disrupting of the festival. I would hardly cite that as evidence of the entire town "really going downhill." There was a problem. It came from outside. The city addressed it. I don't think it's evidence of Chapel Hill "really going downhill."

Quote:
Don't let people with rose colored glasses trick you into thinking Chapel Hill is a safe area. It isn't L.A., but it isn't a place where I would feel comfortable either.
From other posts, I believe this individual has a rather narrow view, and limited knowledge, of the city of Chapel Hill. His opinions seem based on a very limited experience with a few small areas near the college campus. Chapel Hill is, largely, a wealthy, upper middle class town full of professionals. Like any city, there are a few economically challenged areas that do suffer from higher crime than others - mostly property offenses. I would not let that taint the entire city as this poster would have you believe.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:51 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Without facts to substantiate this statement, I would not give it much weight.

I believe the reference may be to the cancellation of the Apple Chill street fair in 2006, after a shooting during that year's festival and due to a trend in which participants from outside the area - primarily bikers - had become more disrupting of the festival. I would hardly cite that as evidence of the entire town "really going downhill." There was a problem. It came from outside. The city addressed it. I don't think it's evidence of Chapel Hill "really going downhill."

From other posts, I believe this individual has a rather narrow view, and limited knowledge, of the city of Chapel Hill. His opinions seem based on a very limited experience with a few small areas near the college campus. Chapel Hill is, largely, a wealthy, upper middle class town full of professionals. Like any city, there are a few economically challenged areas that do suffer from higher crime than others - mostly property offenses. I would not let that taint the entire city as this poster would have you believe.
I welcome any and all "opinions" even if they are from residents themselves who would of course not want to admit to the issues of their own town. It is good for people to see BOTH sides of the issues, which is what makes the forum good. There are those that are comfortable with elevated crime rates and then there are those like me that are very turned off by it and will move to safer ground. It's up to each individual reader to figure out where their own individual comfort level with crime is. For me, it isn't anywhere near downtowns. It's an individual choice and someone who is not comfortable in many parts of CH or Durham is not wrong, but rather just feels differently than those that are.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
I'll freely admit my "own town" has issues. It's an eclectic place; it lacks the beige homogeneity of places such as Cary. It has high taxes. It thinks too much of itself at times. It lacks many conveniences due to its opposition to big-box retailing and drive through fast food. It even has crime - just like everywhere else.

What I object to are sweeping, opinion-based generalizations disguised as statements of fact.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:07 AM

I for one would rather live in Chapel Hill than Cary any day of the week. CH is a great place, much better than Cary.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:06 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I for one would rather live in Chapel Hill than Cary any day of the week. CH is a great place, much better than Cary.
Even though I do not live in Cary, I would prefer Cary much more than Chapel Hill and most areas of Raleigh. The diversity of thought is much more balanced in Cary than CH, its location is far superior than CH and it is organized in a much better fashion than CH. However, sometimes all it takes is one most important item for someone and they may choose one place over another.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Even though I do not live in Cary, I would prefer Cary much more than Chapel Hill and most areas of Raleigh. The diversity of thought is much more balanced in Cary than CH, its location is far superior than CH and it is organized in a much better fashion than CH. However, sometimes all it takes is one most important item for someone and they may choose one place over another.

Are you kidding me? You just moved out of Cary and can't wait to get annexed back into Cary. (//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ml#post8755211).

I hate to tell you this, since you are such a cheerleader for Cary, but CH is a much better city in all respects. Maybe you'd like to list out what makes Cary better and change my opinion however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary