Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 04:33 PM

3 posts, read 7,506 times

Advertisements

Hi, My wife and I are considering moving to the Oakwood area of downtown raleigh. We currently live in the Brier creek area and in my opinion, have it made regarding options for shopping, restaurants, and commute due to our proxmitiy to 40, 540, 70, RDU ect. Any thoughts for 30 year old newlyweds? Great idea? Not worth the price tag associated with the "ITB/ Historic neighborhood" tag...thoughts? Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 04:44 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemaxmu View Post
Hi, My wife and I are considering moving to the Oakwood area of downtown raleigh. We currently live in the Brier creek area and in my opinion, have it made regarding options for shopping, restaurants, and commute due to our proxmitiy to 40, 540, 70, RDU ect. Any thoughts for 30 year old newlyweds? Great idea? Not worth the price tag associated with the "ITB/ Historic neighborhood" tag...thoughts? Thanks in advance!!
Great neighborhood, particularly if you are ready to love an old home.
The price tag is a personal decision, but there are areas in Oakwood that are so quiet, you can nearly forget you are in a city.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:09 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,554 times
Quote:
Brier Creek and Oakwood are worlds apart -- if you like one, I can't imagine you liking the other.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:08 PM

646 posts, read 2,049,572 times
Quote:
Give me Oakwood any day of the week! However, if you don't like downtown living...it might not be for you.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 7,506 times
We are in townhomes in the Brier Creek area, not the CC area, not in love with the 'newness' of the area, just really the location and ease of commute. I am originally from Chicago (Wrigleyville) and enjoy the neighborhood/city feel and lived in a apartment built in 1889 and respect and enjoy transitioning neighborhoods (i don't think that it's a secret that as early as 1990, there were many run down houses selling for under 100k). I just was hoping that the area wasn't too overpriced/hyped. Thanks again for your input!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:59 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,317 times
Quote:
We are in townhomes in the Brier Creek area, not the CC area, not in love with the 'newness' of the area, just really the location and ease of commute. I am originally from Chicago (Wrigleyville) and enjoy the neighborhood/city feel and lived in a apartment built in 1889 and respect and enjoy transitioning neighborhoods (i don't think that it's a secret that as early as 1990, there were many run down houses selling for under 100k). I just was hoping that the area wasn't too overpriced/hyped. Thanks again for your input!
Oakwood in general is not really a transitioning neighborhood - it has mostly already transitioned, hence the price tags. It seems to be the type of neighborhood where neighbors know each other well and there is a sense of community between them. The southern and eastern edges of the neighborhood are where the "transitioning" term still applies as renovations continue outward by the urban pioneers. However, the majority of the neighborhood is definitely worth the price tag, due to all the hard work and capital that has been put into those gorgeous historic homes to bring them back to their former glory. Not to mention it is just a beautiful neighborhood.

If you like being able to walk to a lot of entertainment and cultural options without having to cross any traffic congested 4-lane boulevards and can live without a Super Walmart in spitting distance, you'll probably like Oakwood. I lived in NW Raleigh by the Raleigh Grand movie theater when I first moved to this area and also enjoyed the convenient location, but I realized quickly that there are very few inconvenient locations (for auto travel) in Raleigh and chose to move where there was more of the character and pedestrian friendly options I was looking for, which is downtown. I am currently renting in Glenwood South and would live in Oakwood in a heartbeat if I had the money to buy something there.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,141,649 times
Are you already looking at a specific home in Oakwood? I ask because I wonder why you have zero'd in on Oakwood at this point. If so, that's terrific and I would certainly recommend it over Brier Creek. But, then again, I am not a suburban person at all.
If you haven't chosen a specific home yet, I'd suggest branching out in the general area that includes Mordecai, Glenwood Brooklyn, Boylan Heights and the Five Points area. If I were looking in Oakwood and was flexible, I'd compare what you can get in all the downtown neighborhoods. If your heart is set on an ornate Victorian home, you might be best to stay with Oakwood. But, if you aren't, I'd certainly explore some more to make sure that you have made your very best decision. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary